Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

Not sure if you missed this, but looks like there is a chance:

"Thanks Baldrick as well as Puff, the next build will likely just have a warning advising user's what to be aware of."

2. Grumpa

Grumpa Registered Member

I am having a "Credentials" issue using TM v2 on my W7 64 bit laptop. I cannot select any PC or NAS storage on my home network. The W7 PC has no trouble selecting and browsing the NAS locations, but TM will not even allow the NAS to be "OK'd" when I am in the Network Browse mode.

- also -

Using the "backup dashboard" >> BROWSE AND RECOVER DATA >> Add Backup >> Browse For Folder - - - TM does not open the "Network" at all.

- also -

Using the "backup dashboard" >> PERFORM BACKUP - - - I get "backup failed because D:\disk (my initial USB Drive) cannot be found" - this is true I removed the USB drive and wanted to use another USB drive or my home network. Instead of failing the Manual Backup attempt, you should provide the ability to select a destination.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  3. waylo

waylo Registered Member

Just some additional info that may be of use, I am dual booting with a separate partition running Win7 x64, with a v1 beta installed and running well.

Does this cause a conflict with the install on the WinXP machine?

On the WinXP machine, with so far no initial backup, it can see the Win7 backups. I have made sure the install directories are different.

EDIT:
    I changed the storage HD from a large USB drive to another internal drive. Now I get the "Volume C: Backup error C0FFFFFF code 0"

I've encountered this before running earlier versions of AXTM on this same XP machine. Actually in fact, I've never been able to get it to work on this XP machine at all due to this type of error.

4. Grumpa

Grumpa Registered Member

v2 Rescue Media: Does v2 allow you to set a default network location (eg: server, NAS) and remember it? Trying to restore from a network location has been problematic in v1. v2 should store the user preferred NAS address (or none). The restore process should also allow browsing network locations to select a backup.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Still doing some testing, but for now, so far so good. I can confirm Froggies findings re the local boot.

Pete

6. Peter2150

I'm back and I am impressed. First a few minor issues. Icon is hard to see on the desktop. Also sometimes double clicking on it starts the program and sometimes it just puts it in the systray.

Did initial testing on my test machine Win 7x64. Imaged and did a warm and hot restore. Verified that the images matched the machine, and that the restored machine matched the images. All good. Spent some time figuring out what was going on with the preboot menu. Also just booted into the recovery environment and there was nothing there.

I had removed PD to install AXTM and was curious. So I reinstalled PD and saw no issues at all. DId a bunch of testing with PD on the system. No issues at all. Then for the torture test. I took and incremental, and then as I did above. My C: drive is currently at 68gb with 168000 plus files. I installed IR/FDISR and created a full secondary snapshot, doubling the size of the c: drive. Then I did a warm restore. Took a little bit of time, but the restore was perfect. I then defragged the disk with perfect disk. Took a bit longer than a regular incremental, but it was fine. Then restored it. Also fine.

Then I moved to my Sager Laptop. It cam with XP, and at best the hot restores where spotty. Since I upgraded it to Win 7x64, not one successful hot restore. So I installed the new beta on this machine. This time I immediately re installed Perfect Disk, and did a defrag. Then I did some testing. By the time I was done I had done 5 hot restores and they all worked perfectly.

The funny part about this was when I did the warm restores and discovered the local host boot menu had been removed, the quickest way to get it back was a hot restore.

Now on to the missing stuff in the RE when just booting at the boot menu. One the sager I had just the baseline and I discovered just clicking on restore brought everything back. On the desktop that didn't work. But what did work was opening the folder and point to the folder with the images, brought everything up, and the restore worked fine.

The beta is remaining on both machines.

Pete

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

nice thanks. i did the same just now. removed pd13 and then installed ax64 then reinstalled pd13. works great. one thing i agree with is it should be able to exit not just go to the taskbar. also please do not have it default to auto backups. i dont use that and it should be a option not defaulted to auto.

8. Peter2150

You Got Zfactor

Perfect Disk users. Just uninstall PD install the beta of AXTM and reinstall beta. It will be fine. Yep I wouldn't do a boot time defragg, and yes I always turn off the auto magic, but I even did an online defrag and then took another increment.

Actually only thing I haven't tested is Recovery from the CD. I may test that tomorrow.

9. Peter2150

If I understand the partition handling if I turn on auto it will attempt to backup all the partitions. If I am correct this is horrible implementation. The beta see's my C,F,G drives as partitions. Problem is they are not partitions. My C: drive is a 1 TB drive with 67gb in use. I back this up to the others. The F: drive is a 1Tb drive with 730GB in use. My G: drive is a 2 TB drive with 1.12TB in use. IF AXTM tried to backup up all this, when it would take forever plus a year, and I have no idea where I'd put that backup.

Automode has to be drive selectable or it is useless to many users.

Pete

10. guest

guest Guest

installed on a VM and on a real system ; will give feedbacks if needed. congratulations for the new version.

11. wajamus

wajamus Registered Member

Thanks Grumpa, we'll look into your network issue. Unfortunately, Time Machine has never been strong with network drives. When we get more time we will place more focus on upgrading this side of TM. Regarding your second point, setting a new destination is a good idea. Probably something like:

"D:\disk has been disconnected or cannot be found. Would you like to set a new backup destination?"

[Select destination] [cancel]

Hi Peter,

I feel you. The current implementation is not ideal particularly for people in your circumstances. We did implement automatic backups/multi-partition in the way you have mentioned here. Each drive had its own line in the dashboard and had a automatic switch on/off. This was problematic and very unstable and so we have not released it to you guys yet.
    In this first stage, Time Machine will back up all the drives: C, D, E etc. It will occur in alphabetical order and one after the other.

Once they are all backed up, Time Machine will monitor the drives and by default, will perform automatic hourly back ups on all of them. You can also perform manual incrementals on these drive(s) by clicking the 'Perform Backup' button. When you click it, you can select the drive(s) you wish to backup.

Currently, I understand that we do not have the flexibility to assign automatic backups on/off on individual drives. It is either auto on for all of them or auto off for all.

In future, we want to include more flexibility as I mentioned above. Ie. Allowing you to better manage the backup schedules of each drive. But one thing at a time! I'm really glad v2 is working well for you so far!

Hi Zfactor,

Thanks for your suggestions! Regarding closing Time Machine, initially we had this functionality in v2 where if you clicked close, it would close TM. A notice would also pop up and tell you "closing will cease all automatic backups".

However, in pre-beta testing with a bunch of private users (some that do and don't lurk on Wilders) specifically said this was annoying. They liked auto backup and the default should be to close to sys-tray - not to close the app altogether. These users also argued that "most security apps that require to run in background close to sys-tray. Other apps like utorrent do this too."

In future, we may have a very simple settings panel in the backup tools tab for these kind of personalized preferences.

Regarding auto backup, TM is designed to be very auto oriented. Set and forget. If you want to remove auto, just slide the auto button to off.

12. wajamus

Hi Waylo,

Please send me your logs and this description as a ticket via our support channel here:

http://ax64.uservoice.com/forums/206143-general

On the right hand side click "contact support"

To save your logs, if using V1, please click on the top left hand corner of Time Machine's dash board (click on the icon), go to about. Here you can export logs. Please attach these to the ticket.

If using version 2, please click on backup tools, then click on about. Here you can export logs. Please attach these to the ticket.

Thanks for trying out our software!

Cheers

13. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Waj...the first time on V2, can I have it JUST backup my C drive and NOT my D drive? The D drive is where I will put the AXTM Directory for backups to go.

14. zfactor

but im sure many like myself do not want the auto setting on and the close to taskbar. i find it a pain to have to close it each time from the taskbar to fully shut it off. i DONT want anything running that does not need to be, i keep everything to a min on my systems. im sure there are many others who feel the way i do. just like the auto. imo that should be set to off default. personally i hate programs that do that and force me to run them. i dont use utorrent and when i did i found it VERY annoying that it closed to taskbar and i always had to close it manually. a anti virus sure because it has to be on but ax64 does not *have* to be running all the time. i dont use it that way

15. wajamus

Hi,

Yes you can. Click anywhere on the drive letter under "source" then just click on C:. Now click next and begin the backup process. TM will only monitor the C: drive. This section of the UI will be improved. It is not intuitive enough.

16. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

I agree as I do not have the memory on this system to keep anything open that I am not using.

17. guest

guest Guest

v2 refuses to install while Shadow Defender is present... it is normal? a conflict ? or AXTM can't play with SD at all?

18. wajamus

Thanks Zfactor. I appreciate all users. That is why I think we should include a preferences setting in the future so you won't have to have this gripe.

19. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Thank you for fast reply. I do see that you are online. I will also check if the new RPELIB was included in v2.

P.S. Spent some time near the Rocks...great time.

20. wajamus

Hi,

As you can see here in our compatibility section, Shadow Defender can result in corrupted backups therefore the programs are incompatible.

http://ax64.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/203056-compatibility-with-shadowdefender

Currently, if you really want to try to use TM with SD, you can uninstall SD and then install the beta of TM. It will be fine. But if you choose to install SD, be aware that there are known incompatibilities between the two.

Thanks MPSAN. As more users point this out, we will place more urgency on it regarding their priority in a future build.

Thanks.

21. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,
    Thanks, I look forward to this build as I am not in a position at the moment to uninstall Perfect Disk, install AXTM, then reinstall Perfect Disk.

22. zfactor

only takes a mere couple minutes to do.

23. guest

guest Guest

what kind of issues i may encounter in this scenario? (the link doesn't say much details).

24. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

Maybe so... I really do not want to go into detail as to my reasons for this but let's just say I had a very hard time installing and getting PD to work properly on my system (including a lot of time with Raxco support) and really do not want to take the chance of having the same issues again since PD is now working like a charm here...

Edited to add: Besides, if this is not changed, would you not have to go through the same uninstall of Perfect Disk to run the AXTM installer in order to update to each new version?

25. Peter2150

Hi Kent

I think they are going to change it so you don't need to do that.

Pete

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.