Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Re: I Appreciate Your Post

Hi Stigg,

Check my post above Brian's post #6137 on page 246, it is very easy. Here is the original post again for you:

2. guest

guest Guest

same here using v1120

p.s: was absent from computer world for along time ^^

edit: just read AX64 is not 8.1 compatible T_T

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
  3. aladdin

Re: I Appreciate Your Post

Hi Stigg,

Attached is the registry entry "InstallTakeOwnership". Make sure that you change the extension from .txt to .reg so that you are able to import the registry entry.

Import the registry entry. After that if you right click on any file/folder, you will be then presented with "Take Ownership" for that file/folder.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  4. aladdin

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  5. guest

guest Guest

Thanks but link dead, u can PM it to me

edit: found the post , thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
  6. aladdin

Glad you found it. I have now corrected the link. You won't be able to make the Recovery Media, as Microsoft has removed two files from Windows 8.1

To make the Recovery Media, please see on this page my posts numbers 6176 and 6178. Also, on the next page my posts 6207 and 6208.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This is a cool idea. You might need to use the advanced options for this to work. If you try it let us know.

Pete

8. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

Since I have uninstalled Sandboxie on my System I have been looking for an alternative mainly to install different programs and undo the changes afterwards. This program sounds interesting but I can't find any good Reviews of the program except those from the devs which are more Advertising demonstrations of the program. I still hesitate to purchase it but it sounds promising.

9. aladdin

Hi Arcanez,

Read the Wilders' members raving about it. And, also you can test drive it for 30 days without purchasing the license.

Best regards,

Mohamed

10. aladdin

Hi Pete,

It is you who gave me the idea. Yes, the advance option is required to restore the MBR. I am not sure I will try it as I am not into different operating systems.

Similarly, one can have the same operating system but with different configuration with separates directories, such as:

1. Directory called, "AXTMGaming" for Gaming
    2. Directory called, "AXTMBanking" for Banking and Business
    3. Directory called, "AXTMRegular" for Regular
    4. Directory called, "AXTMTesting" for Software Testing

And, such.

Best regards,

Mohamed

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One thing to keep in mind is doing hot restores that are very different then the current configuration do work, but take a whole lot longer. In some cases about the same as a cold restore.

Pete

12. aladdin

Hi Pete,

I fully agree with you that in the above scenario the COLD restore might be much better than HOT restore. Why waste time with HOT restore, as it might take as long as the COLD restore and might in the end won't work either.

Now the question, how does it compare with FDISR in the above scenario?

Best regards,

Mohamed

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

FDISR simply always worked PERIOD! Slower, yes, but faster than many other recovery programs. Remember, ANYTHING compared to AX64 is slow. But FDISR was always drop dead reliable (at least in my 10-12 years experience).
    Acadia

14. enonod

enonod Registered Member

Since this is the only AX64 thread I presume I'm not in the wrong place.
    I am testing AX64 and have had several hourly backups done...
    approx. 47GB, 3GB, 3GB, 86MB, and finally very slowly 1.3GB.

[EDIT] as follows 23mins, 8mins, 4mins, 0mins, 27mins

I was of the opinion, probably wrongly, that the subsequent backups to the first were incremental and only saved differences and fast.
    I have only been browsing one or two websites so...

1.how do I have such large incrementals?
    2. why has the last taken 25 mins to get to 75% 500MB?
    3. Afraid to try... can I back up two drives?

Can anybody put me right please?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  15. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi enonod

From what you are describing something on your system is making changes in background that AXTM sees as changes to the disk...do you have background defragmentation running (perhaps without you knowing)? That would certainly cause what you are seeing so please check for this, and if enabled, disable it, and run defrag manually in future. But also check to see if you have any other apps running that make heavy use of the disk, i.e., loggers, etc. and if so see what you can do to restrict them, as AXTM will back up the changes since the last snap...so what you are seeing suggests that there is heavy disk-related activity between snaps.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick

16. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Baldrick, what is recommended regarding running defragmentation in relation to AX64 and other imaging backups? This is a timely question as Raxco is offering a $10 upgrade deal for a family pack of PerfectDisk 13 Pro Upgrade version, and I've been deliberating.

17. enonod

enonod Registered Member

Hello Baldrick, thanks for responding.
    No defrag running. There is periodic disk activity but I cannot tell which partition (I am AX64ing C: partition only).
    It seems from what you say that it is something I will need to get to the bottom of and it is not a problem.

I would very much appreciate an answer to 3 above and if the answer is yes, do new save locations need to be provided?

[Edit] Sneaky defrag is running even though not in the system tray. Thanks.

18. aladdin

Hi Chamlin,

Defragmentation is no, no for AX64 and SSDs. If I remember correctly, you have both your OS on two different SSDs. You might need defragment software for your other drives, though I am not a fan of defragmentation software, as far as the new drives are concerned.

Windows 8.1 doesn't defrag the SSD drives.

Best regards,

Mohamed

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

WHOAAAAA. Chamlin, if aladdin is correct in that you are using a SSD, DO NOT defrag. Pure poison and eventual death to a SSD. :doubt:

Acadia

20. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Sure am glad you guys exist. I hate taking poison, especially when it's by my own hand! Fortunately, I am just beginning to set up my new system (the one with the SSD OS drive) and have not attempted such madness.

Thanks for the warning and clarity!
    :D

I'm guessing that AX64 doesn't like defrag because it changes what AX64 has imaged and would cause AX64 to have to add all of the changes to each incremental snapshot? So even if my other OS is on a traditional hard drive, defragging could be problematic? Or is it beneficial to stop AX64 and defrag when starting new AX64 sets?

21. Baldrick

Hi Mohamed

Thanks for the pickup...on other things at the moment...and I think that enonod is in better hands with you than me.

Regards, and respect

Baldrick

22. Baldrick

Absolutely...that is what I do, defrag between ending one set and starting with a new AXTM folder.

23. Baldrick

Glad that you have discovered the 'sneaky defrag'...stopping that should result in smaller snaps.

As for 3., I believe that you can (have not tried it as I only have one drive to protect) but the images/snaps all go into the same AXTM folder.

Mohamed, any thoughts here...sirrah? :D

24. aladdin

Hi Baldrick,

As usual you are too kind. I will try to answer him.

Best regards,

Mohamed

25. aladdin

If by the above you mean that you want to backup your OS drive to two different backup drives, I guess you could. Just keep changing the backup drive every so often, let us say on a daily basis.

If by the above you mean that you want to backup two OS drives, then you have to install AX64 on both OS drives. When you boot into that OS drive, it will backup to the location you have set, for this you also need two drives to backup into.

Best regards,

Mohamed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.