Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Isso

Isso Developer

Thank you very much sukarof, great to hear it! :thumb:

Isso

2. Isso

Isso Developer

Guys,

Just an update: we fixed the BSOD issue with Win 8.1, however there turned out to be one more problem related to restore. We are working on it and I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Isso

3. wajamus

wajamus Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks Easter and twl845 for your suggestions!

As for Timecopy name, it is not set in stone. We're still throwing names around to friends, family and you guys - waiting to see which one sticks.

Timecopy is good, but the domain is expensive. Realcopy will probably stay.

In light of all this, I suggest we start a separate thread where you guys can pitch in your own suggestions for names. In addition, I think the thread should encourage suggestions for smart ways to raise awareness for the apps we're making. As a start-up with scarce resources, raising awareness in the most creative and cost effective way is hugely important. So hearing user input is invaluable!

Before I start such a thread, I want to make sure I am not going against any forum rules. Maybe it's too self promoting? Let me hear your thoughts and if there's enough consensus I'll open the thread up.

Win 8.1 fix should be just around the corner. Thanks for your patience guys.

Happy Halloween :ninja: ,

Waj

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bingo. Too many of us here remember the beloved FD-ISR which died from lack of funds. There are, judging from the length of this thread, dozens who would hate to see the same fate befall AXTM.

Unfortunately I know nothing about marketing so hopefully others can suggest. As far as a new name for this excellent product, I'm at the point now that I just don't care, just waiting for the product to continue for MANY years! :cool:

Acadia

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Waj, Sounds good. Please refer us to the thread so we can find it, if you go ahead and start it. :)

6. zach

zach Registered Member

I downloaded the trial and wanted to backup my c drive. After about 10 min. nothing happened. All it said was backup was in progress but the progress bar showed nothing was being backed up. I'm running windows xp.

7. Isso

Isso Developer

zach,

Please collect the logs by clicking on the top left corner of the program and selecting About->Collect Logs. Then file a support ticket by visiting ax64.com and clicking on "Feedback and Support" tab in the top left corner. Please attach the log file to the ticket. Thank you

Isso

8. zach

zach Registered Member

Will do. Thanks Logs have been submitted.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  9. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

As an FYI, I am using 32 bit XP and have not had an issue with backups.

10. Werderforever

Werderforever Registered Member

Great news!:thumb:

Werderforever

11. silat

silat Registered Member

I am pretty sure funding is not why the public is no longer able to get FD-ISR.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I completely understand, sympathize. and have made occasion myself to bring remembrance to first defense here myself but with all do respect, thanks to Isso, we not only have an even better ISR Program + Imaging program now but also another highly anticipated prospect currently being coded that is just a matter of time before it introduces itself on this scene.

So on our end theres not really anything to be gained at this point to speculate or make comparisons regarding they're business matters. I'm certain they're more then confident in the approach they'll use to make it the success it deserves.

Regards Easter

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Won't go into detail here, but funding was exactly why FDISR was discontinued.

14. zach

zach Registered Member

Haven't heard from support as of yet.

15. Isso

Isso Developer

zach,

Sorry for late reply. I checked the logs and I can see that the program fails to determine which disk the backed up volume is located on. This is a basic OS function that is failing to work. The reason might be one of the following:

- Some of the OS components are corrupted
    - Some of the installed third party programs interfere and prevent Ax64 from working

Unfortunately it's very hard to determine the real cause now, and even if I had access to your system still I'm not sure I would be able to fix it. Sorry about it.

Isso

16. DjeM

DjeM Registered Member

Hi

Please help me to understand the process of backup.

1. When we make incremental backups, does AX64 backup all changes, or it exclude some unneeded files (page file e.g., etc)? If it excludes some files, then please advise what type of files it excludes.

2. Regarding restore, when we use "restore" button, does AX64 restore only changes between previous and current system state? Is it possible to restore all files from backup (not just "hot restore" which restores only changes from last backup)? Or it is not partition image tool and it always restores changes in files only?

3. Regarding the precision of backup, is there any difference if we press restore button from Windows envirenment or from bootable iso image?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

17. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am not sure but I think everything is backed up.

Hot restore works for changes only after the restore point (undoes the changes in effect). Cold restore will restore from the baseline to the selected restore point (everything after the restored to point will be missing).

The end result is the same but the process, and thus the time involved, for each is different.

From the restore media (outside Win AX64) AX64 is a normal imaging app. From within Win its a quick restore app. Both aspects of AX64 will be precise in that it will restore the drive to exactly the state at the time of the snapshot selected to restore to,,,,,,but one process will obviously take much longer than the other.

18. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

It looks like it excludes pagefiles as you suggest - I presume it excludes hibernation files too.

19. zach

zach Registered Member

Why does image for windows work and also rollbackrx?

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

bgoodman4, excellent description right to a tee. Another SIMPLE jewel for the AX64 copy/paste instructional journal.

I think we all like simple, and it doesn't get any simpler then that.

Man, we could make an encyclopedia out of this stuff.

Regards Easter:cool:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  21. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

WIKI?

22. apaert

apaert Registered Member

Hi altogether
    After updating my SSD-Firmware (Samsung 840 Evo 128 ) it seems to be impossible to restore to earlier Snapshots.
    Does someone know a Solution ??

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  23. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Mount a snapshot and use a clone program to the mounted image to the SSD. I would use HDClone or Casper for this. Just a possible workaround...

24. zach

zach Registered Member

In device manager what does a yellow exclamation point mean in axdbus enumerator

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

axdbus enumerator was first mentioned I think by JW Clements here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2182615

Just had a quick look and mine also has a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager.

I'm on my XP machine at the moment so cannot say about if it's the same on Win 7 and Win 8.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.