Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Registered Member

OK, that makes sense. I thought the current version was a beta. Thank you.

2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Demoneye & All the rest of the interested public in RealCopy & AX64TM

I have to say I agree with Demoneye. I find it inexplicable that the effort that Isso put into developing both AX64TM (the product) and the core Wilders support has been merged into a company who,s product is unknown, is simply astonishing.

I played with Realcopy some months ago, not impressed (at all) despite JimCors favourable review. I also had considerable dialog with the principal of RealCopy, despite that I was not impressed. Compare the energy and involvement of Isso with the lack of energy and substance of RealCopy?

So what does all this mean? They, RealCopy and AX64 TM are well known to each other and have worked together in the past! Why would AX64 TM merge with a poor product like RealCopy, poor service and generally poor awareness. I simply cannot understand why Isso has given up so much for apparently so little after so much effort. And that RealCopy has gained so much for so little effort, even using Real Copy as the new name.

Something is not right here, despite all the "marriage made in heaven" noises between the two parties.

Sorry to be such a Luddite but...

Terry

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Well geepers creepers, its pretty obvious to me (or at least highly likely) that there was likely some patent issues since RC had some AX64 features that were, we thought, unique to Ax64. Since RC has been in development since 07 that gives them the edge in the patent infringement sweepstakes. Think about it for a minute and I bet you will come to a similiar conclusion. I really thought AX64 was dead and that Isso gone. This is a much better outcome than I had expected. AX64 will not die, Isso is still here, and, for the most part, all is right with the world - at least this part of it. So lets leave the gripping behind. This is a done deal. If you do not like it buy or use something else.

You would think you guys were shareholders or something and its shocking that Isso did not get your OK on this.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Whilst I cannot speak from experience regarding RealCopy, one has to look at it a different way. If the situation has been lacklustre previously with RC, it could be argued it's about to get better with Isso on board. He's not going to want to let his supporters down. Already we have had feedback from someone (wajamus) from the RealCopy camp and we are promised others are going to chime in, so that bodes well and indicates changes on their side.

5. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Bgoodman4

I am not a shareholder, nor a user of either product because I have not found either particularly good. Many other people on Wilders have found AX64TM excellent, but look at the long list of problems. Moreover, how long does a product have to be on the market before people suspect that it ought to be achieving a maturity and stability, but still is found wanting?

Secondly, I do not need Isso's OK on this since I do not use his product, BUT I do respect his enthusiasm. Maybe he could not deliver and decided to bale out. With RealCopy it it is not exactly a marriage of champions. All that has happened is that the development stakes have been increased and the time scale lengthened, AND you are going to have to pay MORE for what remains an unfinished product. I am quite happy to have a red face (in due course) but I will not be shelling out until something consistent and seriously tangible emerges (If it does).

Undoubtedly I will be labelled a naysayer!!

To TonyW

If Isso has captured the heart of Wilders, why would he join with RealCopy, maybe bgoodman4 has a point about patent issues. But I do not see how your justification stacks up that RC is going to get better with Isso on board. If it is patent issue forcing a merger, then surely RC will drag Isso down given they have produced nothing to excite Wilders so far, apart from the merger with Isso.

Time will tell.

Terry

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

"They made him a deal he couldn't refuse" I would think. I don't think Isso is in business for the grins. Besides the fact that both parties can benefit and so can we. ;)

7. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

@terrywood

that exactly my point , if you find a filed with gold why should you want to share the profit ?? (and ax64 is like that).

8. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

BG, as ever you are IMHO spot on.

Balders

9. jelson

jelson Registered Member

Good to hear your news. It sounds like this could be promising for the AX64 fans here.

I've been quite happy I got a license for AX64: the snapshot ability is something I've been needing for years to augment my backup strategy.

And from the sound of it, RealCopy Time Machine may well supplant my usage of Image for Windows and ShadowProtect. It would be nice to have a single solution for both snapshots and imaging.

And I do hope the licensing model for Time Machine does not follow the unsavory road that Adobe and Microsoft Office have taken with subscriptions instead of perpetual licenses. I've bought my last licenses of Photoshop and MS Office.

Again, congrats on the merger and thank you for being such an active and responsive developer.

10. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

Real Copy when I played with it I believe it had to do a reboot always on changing images/whatever so it prolly alters mbr currently.

Time machine didn't have to reboot to get other images/snaps whatever

I have neither on my system and will simply sit and wait.
    I wouldn't know which one to go with at this stage as i am not clairvoyant and there will be only one in the end anyway.

Have tested my other backup stuff and it is fine.

I'm figuring that the new program will be known as Real Copy and subsequent monthly fees for lower level usage ie: personal say around Jan/2014

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  11. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

I doubt intellectual property came into it as neither party would likely have the resources to sue each other (nor want to waste their time doing it), let alone patent anything.

12. manolito

manolito Registered Member

After having a short look at the new unfinished RealCopy website and seeing their pricing template, I really had to chuckle...

I know this is just a template and the real pricing might be completely different, but if they think they can convince an Average Joe Home User to pay a monthly fee for a backup software, well...:doubt: Certainly a bold move, good luck!

Cheers
    manolito

13. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Indeed! This sounds mighty familiar to me: "Years ahead of the competition, taking seconds to roll back only the required block level differences instead of the time consuming full restores other products use. Users are able to install and test an application or changes with confidence, knowing they can simply roll back the changes if required." You have definitely nailed it!

14. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

Don't worry, there's no way there'll be a monthly fee (unless they add cloud backup which is unlikely). It looks like it's free till January, then a regular one-time fee per major version.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Monthly fee, I think not.o_O

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Nice to see speculation is alive and well. First it was what is going on, now it's about unknown details.

Well all I am sure of is AX64 as it exists right now is doing the job I need on 3 machines. Not perfect, but better then other solutions. So I will quietly wait, test and see what happens.

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i hate to agree or disagree with anyone here. but.... i love ax64.. i do not at all like realcopy. i have had zero good luck with it and do not at all like the way it operates personally. sorry but im not afraid to say it. i did send in a question to support and it was left unanswered i never did get a reply. i know i literally just bought ax64 prior to the cart being taken down. so for me i get what a half year? all that aside im now and will be very skeptical regarding this. i will wait to see for my final thoughts and i hope will all due respect to both sides this works out well.

my thoughts are to both parties (may sound rough but bare with me here) PLEASE DO NOT ADD ALL KINDS OF GARBAGE to the new application. we dont need; or at least i dont want; everything under the sun thrown in like registry cleaners, defraggers, etc etc.. keep it a backup / imaging / snapshot maybe a clone disk (some like this) WITH a boot disk for sure i only use programs that offer one or a way to make one i dont go for the modifying the boot up to include selection menus. but unlike others i wish for some settings. not just a one click only program. also a scheduler please? make it light and not install stuff everywhere and run a billion services. this would be awesome, im sure there are some things im missing. but for both sides dont mess up a thing that could be freaking awesome if it turns out right. again not to sound rude here but i hate to see the possibility of something like ax64 go down the tubes.

18. wajamus

wajamus Registered Member

I'm glad you brought this up! Realcopy began years ago when a few boys from the team made the observation that current backup apps lacked innovation and were bloated with unnecessary feature additions. At the time, we felt the need for something simpler but still powerful in functionality. So in a moment of spontaneity, we said we're gonna build our own and vowed to respect the end user experience at all costs. Realcopy was born. Boy was it a huge undertaking.

Whether we achieved what we sought out to do - well that's debatable. Some folks seem to like our interface, other's don't. But simplicity and minimalism, it's important to us. Not adding lots of garbage is what got us kick started in the first place. :)

But one things for damn sure, we want to improve more than ever our dedication to support. We've been lackluster with that, always assuming that because we never profited, we could never afford support. That's something we want to change.

If anyone wants to know about rough pricing, please refer to my first post on this thread. But rest assured, until we release some cool cloud stuff (which is in development) there's no subscription. Any content on the work in progress site should not be taken with any weight.

Cheers!

19. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Appreciate your explanation. However, you indicated that cloud and subscription is coming, which is really some unnecessary and bloated feature.
    I am not sure you guys really want to do that. The current pricing scheme is much better than subscription, whether monthly or yearly.

20. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

My thoughts exactly, but maybe not as quietly as you.

And to those who do not want to go to the new program (odd, they have not seen it at all and have already rejected it) you can still use your licensed version of AX64 for a good number of years to come. IF you are in the position of liking AX64 and have not purchased it yet then now would be the time to buy (Isso said the sales cart would be back in operation).

I too was not terribly impressed with what I read about RC, especially regarding support. Free or not if you put out a product that you want people to use you must provide them with support, its not right to get someone to use your product and then when the product messes their system up you are not there to help fix it. RCs feature set sounds nice, and it sounds like it works albeit a bit slowly, but the support thing is a big one for me. I will bend over backwards to spread the word about a product as unique and as well supported as AX64, I will, under no circumstances use a product, free or otherwise, that is not provided with help when help is needed.

Its very early to be casting stones at the new company and the yet to be unveiled program. The fact that Isso is involved gives me hope (confidence?) that support will be very good and that the quality of the program will be just as high as we have come to expect from AX64. If Isso were not seriously involved in this new venture, and it is a new venture regardless if RC has history, I would be glad I bought AX64 when I did and I would be very cautious before I spent any cash or even trialed RC. As it is I will wait for our master testers to give the new program a thorough vetting, and I will watch to see how good support is, but I personally expect good things to come down the pipe if for no other reason than Isso is involved. (Theres some of that capital that Froggie(?) mentioned). Issos process has proven itself to be of value, for the new company to not adhere to the model he used would be foolish to the extreme.

PS: Regarding the CLOUD: I am a very heavy user of Photoshop in my business and I have purchased my last version of it. There is no way I will rent software and leave myself at the mercy of RENT hikes and forced upgrades that may or may not affect my work flow. I will find another solution in regards to PS be it another program or add-ons to the current version I have. Some folks like the idea of subscriptions, and for them thats fine. If RC is at some point offered on a subscription basis I hope it will also be offered on a paid up front basis as well.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  21. wajamus

Thanks for the comment. The current pricing scheme is likely to continue when the full RC time machine version comes out. Regarding cloud stuff, it'll be an optional service provided through subscription. Rest assured, when integrated, we would aim to make it seamless and unobtrusive.

About support, I admit we got carried away focusing excessively on developing in the back rooms thinking "because it's free we can't afford support". We're gonna change that - I can promise that folks like me, Isso and other Realcopy team members will be spending plenty of time on the forums and elsewhere providing great support.

Other news

Before I said the release schedule and pricing scheme is not set in stone. Well the team is discussing perhaps a better way. I'd like to hear the thoughts of you guys.

Instead of working quietly for two months for one major release with full integration, it might be smarter that we do incremental releases with bits of integration coming out as we go along.

For example, AX64 backup browser, disc encryption and hardware independent restore would be released in versions as they are finished. This way we get releases out to you faster and can get your feedback from testing sooner. The end result, we hope, is to have a more stable version when the final and fully integrated version comes out.

I think until full integration is achieved, the product will be free. :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  22. wajamus

Thanks for the congrats.

Realcopy is a image based backup and restore application, like Acronis. It also has a rollback feature, like AX64 and RollbackRX.

23. legacy

legacy Registered Member

Well folks, if this software turns to monthly fees, i will just call it a day and carry on using Easeus or similar software.

No other backup software charges monthly fees from what i can see.:thumbd:

I look forward to testing the new software when finished.

24. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dearest Iurie,

You are welcome! :)

Congratulations on marriage made in heaven. Both you and Isso are great people and one day you both will achieve stardom.

I have 16 licenses for AX64 (four family packs). Isso was generous to give me 8 licenses (two family packs) for free and I purchased 8 licenses (two family packs) to support him. Please keep this in mind on upgrading! :)

Having said the above now to some serious advice. I still consider AX64 in beta stage and it has lots of problems, especially sometimes it fails to restore the snapshot, and one has to do a full cold restore. To have a well polished product, you have a long way to go, therefore always keep your community of users happy and be generous to them as Isso has been to them in the past. You are basically beta testing your product on them.

Enough said, I am sure that you catch my drift. Good luck to both you and Isso in your future endeavors. The future is bright.

Best regards,

Mohamed

25. normanbg

normanbg Registered Member

Surely, like both Acronis and Rollback (and most other such software), you should be thinking of adding multi-partition (or full disk) support.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.