Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. max2

max2 Registered Member

AX64 has been great but when restoring within windows I don't get how much percent is done anymore. So I just use the bootable usb stick I have.

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

True, have had the AXTM 'hot' restore hang a few times but NEVER failed to 'cold' restore...so as and when the 'hot' fails I reboot with the Recovery CD in the drive and 'cold' restore...and hey presto. :D

PS: Isso and the Team are working on sorting the 'hot' restore issue.

3. max2

max2 Registered Member

Wow I didn't realize my problem was a issue. Cool.

Hope it is fixed soon!

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi J L

I've had AX64 stick several times when restoring in Windows. When that happens just boot to the recovery CD and then restore. Doing that my track record is 100% success.

Pete

5. max2

max2 Registered Member

Same.

6. max2

max2 Registered Member

The strangest thing is it just started happening randomly.

I wonder what caused it.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

when i had that issue it was only after installing certain av's for testing. i was testing trend micro and had the stuck issue i tried it a second time same result. i restored to before i installed that and tried again from within windows and had no issues that time. it has happened with a few av's so im wondering if it has something to do with something being blocked somehow cant be sure without more testing.

8. max2

max2 Registered Member

I never installed any AV before this happening.

9. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

A co-worker of mine wanted to buy it this week. No dice. Not sure what is going on.

10. max2

max2 Registered Member

It worked fine for a friend a little while ago.

11. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Kinda hope one of the 'big boys' haven't made him (Isso) an offer:p

12. max2

max2 Registered Member

They didn't.

13. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have a friend who appeared to have a recovery media restore fail. The % counter got to 9.7 percent and then just sat there for an extended time. She left it for a couple of hours and then did a manual power off. We both were surprised when she rebooted the PC to find that the restore had indeed taken place. Bit scary to be sure but alls well that ends well (as they say).

Personally I will always use 2 imaging programs no mater how reliable one has been in the past. One disaster is one too many as far as I am concerned.

14. Derson

Derson Registered Member

AX64 Time Machine is amazing...when it works. I have been testing several days in my tablet pc, gpt/uefi, win 8. With av on-off, UAC on-off, clean Win 8 installation vs update, drivers deactivate...Always, in some moment, who knows why, appears the freeze state. Of course, a second and more basic imaging solution back to normality.
    So, I would like make a little critic, AX64 is a beta software, need more stability.

15. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Derson,

Agreed, and Isso should keep this in mind too, not just the users!

Best regards,

Mohamed

16. Kit1cat

Kit1cat Registered Member

Had a problem last week were both hot and cold restore of a image failed, came up with a file missing on reboot. Had to go back 6 days before I found a image that worked. Also had a problem were the image appeared to restore ok, but requested I ran chddsk which found hundreds of corrupted index files.

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Have to disagree with that view. Given what I have suffered from the likes of some imaging software in the past (no names as I do not want to start a polemic) I would say that AXTM does the job. Not perfectly granted, but it is still a 'young' application in terms of time since official launch. Needs some more stability...granted, but IMHO that does not make it a beta.

And I agree with BG, whether an imaging solution is 100% or not there is safety (or at least more safety) in numbers. :D

18. bgoodman4

Please report this to Isso at < info@ax64.com > as Isso may or may not see the report if its only posted here.

I had an apparent failure to restore a friends PC a few days ago using both a hot and cold restore but upon rebooting the PC after a hard shut down from the recovery media restore the PC had in fact reverted. I would suggest if the cold restore appears to have failed that you leave the PC alone for longer than the time it would normally take to do a cold restore, then, power of the PC and reboot. The restore may have completed even though the % completed indicator had frozen and the PC had not self rebooted.

This accidentally happened with my friends PC as the time between when she noticed the indicator being frozen and the time she was able to get a hold of me was in excess of 2 hours (she was afraid to touch the PC before speaking to me).

I ask you to report this since when I reported the frozen cold restore Isso replied that this was not a known issue with AX64 and the problem would only occur if AX64 was not able to read the storage drive or read?/write to the protected drive. His advice was to run check disk on both drives but my friend refused to do this since it appeared that her PC had been reverted and was working fine.

The fact that you were able to find a snap that worked would seem to indicate that the problem was not with AX64s ability to access either drive since if this was the problem you should, I would think, not have been able to restore with any snap at all.

EDIT - PS: you do not by any chance have an auto defrager running on your PC or have done a manual defrag recently. A while back I had run a manual defrag and a snap was taken while the derfag was in process (the storage media was being defraged since diskeeper defrags all connected drives) and when I went to do a restore to the snap taken during the defrag I had exactly the same problem you have described, including check disk finding a lot of corruption. The problem was so bad that I had an unbootable PC and AX64 was of no use at all. Fortunately just the day before I had created an image using my 2nd imaging program so I was able to restore that image and all was fine.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  19. Kit1cat

Hi bgoodman4 thanks for your reply. I will report it to Isso has you suggested.

Both the hot and cold restore appeared to work without problems, it was just on reboot it came up with the missing file error, even tried windows recovery which could not correct the problem.

Don't think I have any auto defrag programs running, did have a message about Glary utils defrag on bootup but have never selected it. My system drive is a SSD drive so it's never been defraged.

I did have a simalar problem with corrupt files a few weeks back after trying Rollback, and I did try a new build of Rollback early last week before I had the problems, but did uninstall it before taking/restoring any new snapshots using Time machine.

20. bgoodman4

You said above that both hot and cold restores failed. I am confused.

Rollback can mess things up quite a bit so possibly this was the cause of the problem (and by that I mean a strong possibility). I would suggest mentioning this to Isso so he can consider this when he is trouble shooting.

21. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Rollback has messed things up severely whenever I tried to restore an image, be it with AX64 or Macrium. Go on their forums. I'm not alone.

22. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

You could try to boot to recovery iso/usb and copy the "missing file" in question from an older, working backup to your restored Windows. It's usually some system driver in \Windows\System32 folder or \Windows\System32\drivers folder.

23. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Just had a Hot restore freeze for what seemed like a long time, and had to hard reboot at about 24% which I was sure would play havoc with the system.

Booted into the USB recovery, and had a worrying time watch it try and restore what I thought would be a hosed system. It did take quite a long time (about an hour) and seemed to stop for long periods quite often, but amazingly when it had finished, the machine booted into Win 7 perfectly.

Very impressive for a piece of new software, and I give credit to Isso and the others for the work so far.

24. Kit1cat

Thanks for the info, never thought of that, will keep it in mind in case I have the problem again.

bgoodman4, sorry for the confusing, I did not word it very well. Time Machine restored the hot/cold images but the computer would then not boot, giving a missing file error.

MarcP, thanks, I am aware of your thread on the Rollback forumns, but thought I would try it any way, looks like I made a big mistake!

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I've been seeing quite a few guys with problems lately that I didn't see before the beta came out. If folks are using the beta and having these problems, why don't you revert to V1.2.o.1120 until Isso releases the new version, unless you're in the process of testing the beta of course. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.