Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi Baldrick,

Thank you very much!

Regards,
    Isso

2. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi David,

Is it the pre-release 1133? If yes then I might know what the problem is. If not, please send to me the logs via a ticket. Thank you

Isso

3. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi SpotOn,

Thank you! Yes, we are planning to add wireless support to the recovery media.
    For External volume modification - this message indicates that the drive has been used by an OS other than your main OS where AX64 is installed. It may happen if you boot into an alternate OS in a multi-boot configuration. Or if you boot into the recovery media and exit without restoring. Hope this helps.

Isso

4. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi Michael,

Sorry for that problem. Pre-release 1133 indeed has some problems and we are fixing them now. As soon as we have it working properly (in a few days) I'll post another pre-release.

Isso

5. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi Alex,

Sorry for that problem. Usually if the restore stops at 100% i means that some third party software blocks the program from rebooting the machine. Please just power the machine off and restart. If it boots, then run checkdisk and make sure there are no errors (I think there won't be any). If the PC doesn't boot, or if checkdisk finds problems please boot into Recovery media and do the restore from there.

Isso

6. Isso

Isso Developer

Dear Mohamed,

Hmm, strange. Certainly there are no time bombs, and the only major difference is the restore method. I'll look into this, as it may explain similar problem we were getting with version 1120 on some machines.

Isso

7. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi Paxilu,

Welcome to this thread, and thank you very much for the information!

Isso

8. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi Alex,

You can take out the CD as soon as it finishes booting.

Isso

9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have had this problem on occasion and had come to the conclusion that it had to do with running something like a defrag (in my case on the backup drive). This past week I ran Wise Disk Cleaner (the backup drive was plugged in so I expect this drive was also cleaned) and when I went to roll back the hot revert hung at 0%. Cold revert worked fine though a few of my apps were a bit wonky after the restore. I know this sort of cleaning should not have an effect on AX64 but thought I would mention it in case others have a similar problem. Perhaps if we report the various situation some common element will emerge.

10. bgoodman4

Exactly my understanding as well.

11. bgoodman4

For me too

12. bgoodman4

Def my sentiment as well. You really should schedule a vacation. Sick days do not count.

13. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

Thanks for your response. However, apparently I wasn't clear. My restore from the recovery console took well over an hour. I would like to not sit at my computer that whole time. I would like to get up and do something and not have to worry about getting back in the nick of time to eject my CD/DVD.

I have made this suggestion over at the AX64 website "suggestion area".

P.S. I am not sure an eject of the media would even work, though. I noticed after ejecting the CD tray and pulling out the CD/DVD, that the re-boot process automatically closes the tray. So, if one isn't there to pull out the CD/DVD, your PC will automatically re-boot into the recovery console.

14. bgoodman4

As noted I have had similar problems with housekeeping and AX64. I would suggest that when doing housekeeping the backup drive be unplugged.

I also am glad that I image with a 2nd program so I can, if nec, restore using it and then grab my latest files from the AX64 browser.

ALSO----- Isso, I would suggest that logs be automatically created on the backup drive when a problem is detected with AX64. I tend not to worry about logs when I run into a problem, all I want to do is get back to a functioning PC. This past weekend I did not have a choice/chance to create logs. A hot restore failed and I had to do a cold one.

15. bgoodman4

Hummm, this has happened to me but I did not get the long snap thingy.

16. bgoodman4

DO you have some sort of auto defrag running on the storage drive. I think this would cause the problems you are describing.

17. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Isso,

Thanks for confirming the above. Since I have gone back from 1133 to 1120, do I need to start the process of imaging from the beginning, or I can carry forward with my snapshots?

Kind regards,

Mohamed

18. bgoodman4

Remove the CD after the recovery console has booted, or even as the recovery process is running. Once the console is up and running the CD is no longer needed.

PS: you will note when you start the PC with the recovery disk in place that there is a message something to the effect "files loading". These are loading on to the PC from the disk. Once they are loaded the disk is no longer being used.

19. bgoodman4

I just remembered that someone had mentioned that they were not able to see their backup files during a restore. I have found that using a USB 3 port to do a restore can cause problems, when I have had this problem I simply moved the drive to a USB 2 port and all was well.

20. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Isso

Just let us know when the further pre-released is available and I for one will install/test it immediately.

Regards, and respect

Baldrick

21. Baldrick

Hi Alex

This has been mentioned before (long thread, eh ;) ) and a suggestion has been made (over on the feedback page at www.AX64.com) to auto eject the media at the end of the recovery process (might that be you? :D )

Anyway, I have commented on the suggestion that it needs to include an option either to auto reboot or manually exit from the recovery media, i.e., click on the Exit Browser button, so that the user has a chance to extract the media if they want to do it that way.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Balders

22. Baldrick

Hi BG

Good to know...I was wondering about that and was going to try exactly that on the next cold restore attempt.

Hi Isso

Might be a good & useful point to include in the FAQs and/or manual as a footnote on the Restore page.

Regards, Balders

23. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thank Isso

I am using 1120. Will send the logs over to you.

24. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I just wanted to get rid of some programs I had installed and wanted to step back.

I keep the external drives switched off, but the AX images are on a separate internal drive.

25. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I have a USB 3 portable HD "mounted" internally to a USB 3 PCIe card. I have it partitioned about 250gb for W7's image app and 250 for AX64. I decided to do a test restore (not any specific files or folders) via the browser after reading this. It was 100% perfect and probably didn't even take 10 seconds, although the only change was a test folder I made after the snapshot. Anyway, it did work fine on x64 W7 SP1. Yesterday I imaged with Paragon (image on a separate SSD).
    The only performance question I've had I posted last week: "I was away for five days and the PC was off. Shortly before I left I made a snapshot prior to installing August's MS updates, then installed them. After arriving home last evening I made another snapshot before updating Cyberfox and it took slightly over seven minutes like the baseline did. All prior snaps have averaged less than 40 seconds. I immediately took another snapshot and indeed it only took seven seconds. Simple explanation? Was it due to MS updates as in major changes to the PC? Still seems odd it would take that long. Thank you!" I did read since that if there's been a power failure or the system didn't shutdown properly a snapshot can turn into an image. Perhaps something like that occurred, although the PC is plugged into a battery backup and shutdown was normal prior to my trip.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.