Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

The licence is for version. Free for all same version releases.

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

At least you have eliminated some possible sources of the problem. This should help Isso trouble shoot the issue.

3. rjbu

rjbu Registered Member

Hi Isso,
    I've attached screenshots of the backup browser window from yesterday (20130626 12:28 PM ET) and from today (20130627 1:51 PM ET),
    so you can see I don't get 3 day - 6 day old backups.
    And my 2 day old backup keeps getting bigger - yesterday it was 2.3 G and today it is 3.13 GB.
    I've attached a screenshot of the backup folder too.

Attached Files:

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Thanks @Wendi + bgoodman4. Saved me several days worth of reading! :)

After a bit of reading, I understand that AX64TM sets a "dirty" bit on startup and clears this bit on a clean shutdown. If it detects the dirty bit is set on startup, it triggers a full backup next time rather than quick incremental.

Assuming SD driver loads before AX64TM driver, then this dirty bit will always stay the same when AX64TM driver checks it on start (ie. if it's set before SD is enabled, AX64TM will always see it set when it starts, and if it's reset before SD is enabled, AX64TM will always see it reset when it starts).

So, unless SD allows AX64TM to clear this "Clean shutdown" bit when in shadow mode, it will always do a full backup afterwards.

5. William Johnson

William Johnson Registered Member

I could not upgrade to ver 1.2 on my Win 7 pro 64-bit machine. I downloaded the update to my HDD and tried to install. I got an error box saying "Error Opening File for Writing: C:\program files\axtm\axtmapp.exe". Then it gave me choices to abort, retry,or ignore.

I tried several times with same error response. I stop parts of Avast free AV protection and still didn't work. I'm also running Malwarebytes but did not try shutting that down. I even tried shutting down AXTM manually and that didn't work. Still got the same error. Finally, I uninstalled ver 1.1 and still got the error even after rebooting. I noticed that several files, including the above mentioned exe were still present so I finally manually move the files out of the C:\program files\axtm\ folder and then I could install ver 1.2. The good news though is it remembered my registration info. However, I lost all my previous backups. They were still on the other HDD but I renamed the previous AXTM folder for fear of other issues.

Still not sure what happen or if I did something wrong.

6. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Hi bgoodman4,

While it's not my intent to hijack this thread, I (respectfully) do not believe that. Are you just expressing your opinion or is that based on actual tests?

Wendi

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Hi Isso

Having a few problems with the new update. I am using it to backup my data drives as well

From 996 I already have some system backups. With 1090 I used it to backup a data drive and it froze at 9.8%. It also slowed down Opera considerably causing it to freeze temporarily. I restarted the backup and that completed correctly but still slowing everything down.

Went to backup the 2nd data drive and that would not start. It came up with error "C1000006 code -2147212522". Tried 3 times and the same result. There is over 700Gb free on the destination disk. Maybe it cannot do more than 2 drives, but 996 could although it could not keep track of the backups.

Let me know what you need to find the cause.

8. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Registered Member

So, we were on version 1.1.9960.
    We just upgraded to version 1.2.1090 (no charge).

So the assumption is the updates will be free to registered users through 1.9.9999?

9. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Hi Defenestration,

Your explanation makes perfectly good sense to me - but, obviously, SD cannot (should not) allow any such execution inside Shadow Mode.

Wendi

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Decided to give this software a try.

Installed it and made first backup. Made recovery media and tested it.

Everything was just so simple :)

Great work!

11. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Isso,

Installed the new upgrade v1.2 over top of the old version without any problems.

Being able to edit the description on any backup works great - even Macrium doesn't have this facility.

Fixed truncated user names in registration box - Afraid this doesn't work for me, still only showing the first two letters of my name in the registration panel.

Added Skip network initialization button on the Recovery Media Startup dialog - Pressing the "Skip" button doesn't work for me, the button becomes greyed out but the network initialization continues to load. The possible reason for this that I Use an USB keyboard and mouse and the mouse pointer doesn’t become visible for a few seconds.

12. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

First of all, thanks for the update. You and your team really did a fantastic job! It was definitely worth the wait and it is running well here on my system. It seems to be running smoother with less resources used, and if it was possible, it even seems faster!

I think the "only merge when idle" is a bit too sensitive. My automatic merges are getting further and further behind. I never had an issue with merges before, so perhaps an option to enable/disable merges only when idle could be a solution...

It did not work for me either. I even uninstalled, cleaned the registry and any leftover files and folders thinking I could just register again. It seems though that an uninstall does not remove the registration information and wherever it is stored in the registry must be encrypted because a search for it comes up empty.

13. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

That's odd, on 2 XP systems, my registration info was cleared out.
    After upgrading, on one system it was showing trial expired and on the other one it was showing 13 trial days left.

14. puff-m-d

Yeah, definitely odd as I tried 3 different times to get rid of my registration and never could. I used a very strong registry scanner and registry search tool to no avail. I even deleted one leftover empty folder and one folder that had some settings stored in it. I very rarely have a problem getting rid of all traces of a program but this time I had no luck at all... (Win 8 Pro x64 here)

15. puff-m-d

Thanks Panagiotis...
    Obviously I would have never figured that out myself :D ...

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

:D
    You are welcome.

Panagiotis

17. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Isso,

I am testing the new version and from a quick test I saw that merging is slower on this version and sometimes it ends with merge errors, if I try the same merge again it completes successfully.

Also sometimes it cannot initiate a restore. If it happens it cannot initiate a merge function too unless the system is rebooted.
    edit: It does not get shorted even after a reboot.:(
    When it happens the ribbon icons cannot be clicked and the sidebar icons have no effect. If I delete all the snapshots from the backup folder and create a new baseline it gets fixed

Panagiotis

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry to be late. Yes GRUB is installed with MBR. So has this thing discussed here before?

19. manolito

manolito Registered Member

Thanks very much Isso and the team for this new version...:)

Since I have no computer with UEFI / GPT I obviously could not test the most important feature of this version. But a short test run on my Win7-32 machine was very successful.

Doing a Chkdsk at Windows startup works now, very nice!

I can confirm that when booting from the recovery media the "Skip" button when initializing the network has no effect at all.

So thanks again...

Cheers
    manolito

20. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Are you sure? I find that very strange because of my question on this matter and Isso's reply (of just 2 days ago). o_O

21. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

chkdsk is now working at boot:)

22. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Thanks for the confirmation (I guess it turned out to be less difficult than first thought). :thumb:

23. beameup

beameup Registered Member

I had the chance today to use the restore function on Windows 8 pro 64 bit. It's a dual boot Ubuntu machine with GRUB installed. Win 8 would just sit and "spin the wheel" and not boot. I'd have to do a hard shutdown, then restart it. Ubuntu worked fine.
    So I popped in the recovery disc I created and booted up on it. Seemed to take a little while, but the AX64 recovery windows came up and I selected my latest backup from 3 days ago. I unchecked the box to restore the MBR as I thought that might mess with GRUB.
    The restore took a little over an hour. It rebooted, I selected windows and it booted up.

So my first attempt at a restore was successful.

I just updated to the latest version.

Now to find out what caused the issue in the 1st place. This was the 2nd time. The first time the Windows auto recovery came up and did it's thing.
    Not this time.

But AX64 did it's job for me.

Good job Isso!

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Wendi, Yes, after reading your post I did a chkdisk which ran successfully. Thanks Isso for a superior new Version! :thumb:

25. Isso

Isso Developer

Guys,

Thank you very much for your kind words and support! Sorry, I'm not really able to answer all questions at this time as we were very busy fixing a couple of issues and re-testing. We fixed the intermittently cancelled merge operation issue and a couple of other problems, and I've uploaded new build 1.2.1094.

For checkdisk - can you believe it that it's an absolute surprise to me!! Really funny :) Looks like it was fixed while we were trying to fix the OS hang problem. How lame was it of me to think that we needed to completely re-write some parts of the program to get this fixed. Manolito - thank you for discovering it! Ironically enough I was on a phone call with a customer today and told him that I really don't know how much time the checkdisk issue will take to fix :)

Isso

Panagiotis, the merging issue that you described seems quite serious to me, could you please send to me the logs? Thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.