Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Isso

Isso Developer

I don't know the details of Sandboxie or Returnil internal workings, but from their description I would say that Snadboxie should be ok. Shadow Defender and Returnil may cause problems when used with AX64.

Isso

2. Isso

Isso Developer

Same here - in fact I use no security software at all. Once in a while I do an offline scan of my drive with an AV, but never found any infection. Win7 x64

Isso

3. ralws277

ralws277 Registered Member

I'm wondering if Easter could give us any feedback on using AX64 with Shadow Defender. Have you used them together, Easter, or have you disabled SD when using AX64??

4. artoor

artoor Registered Member

From my own expierience I can say, that I use Sandboxie along with AX64 (trial), and they work very well. Can't find any problem in this area. Notice that browsers, e-mail client, pdf reader are sandboxed all the time. I can also tell you that I had to recover my previous state of OS (via CD console), and haven't found anything that was suspicious, so I reckon they work well along with each other. To be clear - it is connected with Windows 7 32bit, Sandboxie 4.02 (the previous version worked well to).

5. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

OK...good to know. I only hope this was not brought up earlier and I missed it.
    Thank you Isso.

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Does AX64 compatible with system partition encryption implemented by TrueCrypt or Jetico BestCrypt Volume Encryption?
    Anyone have tried this combo?

7. Fingol

Fingol Registered Member

No problems running alongside Sanboxie for me.

Is there a recommended method to defrag the drive that AX64 is backing up?

8. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

AFAIK just that the more files that get moved the longer the next snapshot will take, and not to defrag preboot with PerfectDisk (or Puran etc. presumably).

9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Thank you all who replied to my quetsion. I will give Sanboxie a try.

10. bgoodman4

Just a thought,

This thread has become, to a large extent, one that deals with support issues. Anyone coming to it now and not bothering to go back a few hundred posts will see only problems being discussed. This would, I suspect, make AX64 look like it has many more problems than it in fact does have. I would suggest that anyone with an issue that needs to be dealt with use AX64 support rather than this thread.

As I said, just a thought.

11. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi Creer,

We haven't tested with those programs, sorry. For TrueCrypt - my guess is it should work properly. For Jetico - I'm not sure how it works, that's why I can't say for sure.

Isso

12. Isso

Isso Developer

In addition to what taotoo mentioned (thank you taotoo, great answer), there is a problem with defragmentation of the protected volume under XP. Which will be fixed in the upcoming update.

Isso

13. Isso

Isso Developer

Thank you bgoodman for taking care about the reputation of AX64. I think the proper way would be to have a separate forum on our website. I'm working on it right now. It will be divided into Ideas, Questions, Problems with easy search. It should help to quickly find the required information.

Isso

14. Isso

Isso Developer

atomomega,

Sorry, I missed your post. Yes please upload the information from all PCs if possible along with the problem description. If you want to use ftp, just let me know I'll PM you the login info. Thank you

Isso

15. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I use SBIE and do not have any problems with it, but I only use it on the web side of the browser. If you run installed programs sandboxed then the result may be different especially if you don't set up a recovery option for the program you are running. But I have never tried that.

16. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thanks Isso for reply,

BestCrypt Volume Encryption does not modify reserved sectors on the hard drive to store its boot code when the user encrypts system/boot volume (like TrueCrypt does).
    BCVE modify MBR sector. Does AX64 modify this sector too? If yes I guess it could be a problem to run AX64 along side with BCVE.

17. Isso

Isso Developer

Creer,

No, AX64 doesn't modify the MBR. It saves the MBR though and allows the user to restore it (optionally).

Isso

18. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thank you for clarification, I will test it then to check if there will be any issues with that combo.

19. Fingol

Fingol Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. What I did to defrag W7 64 was to stop hourly backups. Defrag the C drive.
    Then delete all my backups AX64 had made, and run a 1st time backup again. (Don't have masses of space available for backups)
    Obviously if I then discover a problem I'd be in trouble.
    I've looked through this thread but it's so big now it's difficult to find specific posts. :D

20. Isso

Isso Developer

Thank you Creer, looking forward to your results.

Isso

21. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

My posterior was just saved by AX64! I had a program update from another security app that BSOD'd my laptop and AX64, via the boot utility USB, saved the day. Thanks Isso and team, saving my a$$ couldn't have been simpler.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes and that's why I have it. Unfortunately boot disc doesn't, and shouldn't work (w/o TrueCrypt plugin of sorts), so you'll still need another offline disk imaging program.

23. bgoodman4

Thank you for this information, much appreciated.

24. Creer

Creer Registered Member

The order during booting without AX64 installed is:
    1. BIOS
    2. TrueCrypt/BCVE boot loaded
    3. OS or screen of choice where you can choose OS - after enter proper pass for the key

So how it looks like with AX64 installed?
    1. BIOS
    2. ?
    3. ?

I haven't tested it yet because I don't have enough time and space on disk to make backup before install AX64.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi ralws277

Nope at least not yet. I will say that I'm definitely not beyond it though. If the only issue between them is reserved to slow image backups then i for one wouldn't have a problem with that but here is the logical crux of the matter in a nutshell.

AX64 TM is a combo imagining program of both simplicity and speed. It doubles as a snapshot app and rapid live imaging system rolled into one.

Compatibility with virtualization apps is already been discussed and as i see it offers a user a clear choice. And it's always about choices. My first best choice would lean strongly in favor of the combo model of snapshot plus imaging that's found in AX64 Time Machine.

Regards Easter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.