Internet Suites: Kaspersky 6 or Norton 2007?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Birdman, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You mean Avast antivirus ,which has free Home Edition . Its site is
    www.avast.com

ZoneAlarm also has a free firewall , its site is www.zonelabs.com

Ad-Aware SE Personal
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware

SpyBot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/microsoft.en.html

No need to download from download.com :D

2. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

While I haven't used Norton 20007, I have used Norton Internet Security 2006, 2005, and almost every previous version. I had norton internet security 2006 on my new laptop, nis 2005 on my desktop computer, and also on an older computer. I got annoyed with norton at times because it would take extra time to shut down the system as norton would hang and also the computer was a lot slower to boot after installing norton and it doesn't update often. I finally got fed up and removed them which wasn't the easiest task, and I couldn't be any happier now using Outpost Pro firewall on all machines and Nod32 antivirus on two of them and Kaspersky AV on one. My computers are more responsive now it is very obvious. Kaspersky makes a great av although I haven't used the KIS package just the av which I like very much. I hope norton 2007 did actually improve over previous versions and become less bloated, but I would be surprised if I ever went back to them after seeing how much better the alternatives are. Between the two I would choose Kaspersky any day.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  3. chrisjackson1985

chrisjackson1985 Former Poster

well,

both software now have low RAM usage, yes... i said both. :eek:

norton 2007 has definatly improved on this matter and also improved on boot times and scan speeds too.

both are equal to do the job, personally i would rather kaspersky out of the 2, but personally i think nortons firewall is better than the kaspersky one

norton still takes ages to install and i still dont rate their antispam.
    kaspersky slows down internet at high settings and firewall can be iffy sometimes.

both antivirus modules are good with decent scan speeds,

the choice is yours..........

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I would have to say kaspersky because i never reccomend something that i wouldnt use myself i mean whats the point inj saying use av B when you wouldnt use it and you know its rubbish.

im not saying eiether one is rubbish.

5. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

NIS 2007 takes around 15MB, KIS 6 takes 25MB but both those numbers are low enough it really doesn't matter.

The biggest differences are as follows:

NIS 2007 has rootkit detection AND REMOVAL. It is using some of the raw NTFS parsing technology from Veritas which were the masters of NTFS scanning, so it doesn't depending on Windows API and hence are not affected by rootkits stealthing their files. This is a BIG PLUS for NIS 2007, KIS 6 has nothing like it and it will take them years to build something like that.

NIS 2007 has excellent (the best, even better than IE7) 0-day phishing protection. It is using heuristics in addition to block lists. KIS 6 has the worst phishing detection I have seen. Then shouldn't have even bothered.

On the other hand NIS 2007 removed its antispam and parental controls and ad blocking features (none of which I use), all of which KIS 6 still retains but dont work very well. KIS 6 antispam really sucks. So there you have it.

And remember that you are entitled to NIS 2007 for free if you have an active NIS 2006 subscription. Just use the same key. So you can always try it out for more than 30 days if you want.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

KAV/KIS 6 does detect rootkits (even very well) with PDM and via signatures ! :thumb:

Hope the red picture helps

Attached Files:

• kavd.PNG
      kavd.PNG
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
  7. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Anyone tested out Norton Internet Security 2007 against leak tests yet? Just curious to see how it does. I really do hope Norton is as improved as people are saying it is as it will motivate it's competitors to improve as well hopefully.

8. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

They did remove it because that part was not ready for the release. There is now some sort of Service pack/maintenance pack in beta stage that contains all the things you said. When it is released it is free to install !

9. RiverLights

RiverLights Registered Member

Just a note. I am searching for a suite to provide protection behind a hardware firewall. So have recently tried out both Kaspersky and the 2007 Norton. My general impression is both are very good. You cannot go wrong with either one. ( never thought I would go near Norton again but this new version is a new leap with a far lighter landing).

About the firewall. Norton's work with Sygate - as you know Symantec bought that company - is apparently bearing fine fruit. Here's a PC Magazine commentary on its operation

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2023976,00.asp

( you can also set the firewall to ask you what to do...for those who just love popups)

I downloaded their free add on modules for the privacy protection feature....the prevention of bank account or credit card numbers over web sites, email or IMs ( except in secure online transactions). Both will furnish a very high level of protection, and neither will...in my experience anyway....mess up your system in any way ( except K's very fine real time buffering http scans will slow down a high speed connection a little.....though tech told me that won't happen in the new build. Norton does not slow down broadband)

No installation problems with either. And Kaspersky scans automatically adjust to heavy computer usage on other operations....which lightens the load. That is also an option on Norton....but you have to minimize the scan window for it to go into effect ( at least as far as i can tell so far).

Anyway, my personal opinion is that you have two very fine choices.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  10. apm

apm Registered Member

Comparing KAV 6 to NAV 2007, they both have good detection rates in published tests. Though NAV 2007 have improvement in system response time (feel lighter), but it is sooooooo bloated that use over 30mb ram at idel, installs over 1000 files and takes up over 150mb disk space, comparable to an office suite. Though for today's PC ram or hdd are not problem.
    KAV 6 have really good detection rates and use much less resources, but at first the system may feel some slowdown, but as KAV save scanned files checksum to file, short time later the system response time have no slowdown, both KAV or KIS 6. But Kaspersky 6 is quite buggy, I got system or program errors sometimes. And KAV can detect virus/malwares that NAV can't detect from my experiences as I surf some high risk websites.

11. quding

quding Registered Member

I agreed with you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.