internet security suites

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by LoneWolf, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

hey people, i'm looking for a security suite with a good overall package and fairly eazy interface. have tried norton,mcafee & am now trying a trial version of zone alarm.any advice on these or others(panda,trendmicro)thanks for any advice.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I tried several of them recently and my two favorites are the ZA Suite and also the BitDefender 9 Suite. You're trying ZA Suite now, you might also take a look at the BD Suite. It has the usual firewall, AV, antispam, anti-spyware and so on. Seems pretty good. Of the two, I'd say that the firewall is stronger with the ZA Suite and the AV is stronger with the BD Suite. So it depends on what you want and/or need. Here's a link: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/home/

Most of the 'suites' are pretty heavy on bloat and ram use by their very nature. The above two are similar in resource usage.

3. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

well i've heard the F-secure suite is quite good too, but Norton is always garbage imo so i wouldn't bother going there. also, as previously mentioned, ZA is quite nice (although its more of a firewall one, the other stuff it has arent too bad). however, it is true with what kerodo said: security suites tend to eat up system resources quite badly. there is no 'perfect' or completely 'good all around protection' security suite out there since no company is so advanced that they are well-known and specialize on each of those products. this is why i prefer to use good, seperate security programs which have no compatibility issues with each other. they tend not to eat as much system resources and also provide a better protection (again, imo).

4. emir

emir Registered Member

I can tell you from experience that if you want a suite zone alarm is the best because of there triple defense firewall as it has extensive program monitoring, you can even set permissions for each and every component not just services running if you want, like com objects and directx objects. I recommend using just the firewall though with other such as eset nod32 and good antispyware, but ZA's antivirus and anti-spyware are ok just not the best. It is the best suite out there though I will bet money on it.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Currently, the Kerodo advices are the best, but the incoming Kaspersky Internet Security will be excellent for those who want an all-in-one solution...

6. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

My cable internet company(Charter) offers an F-Secure suite(firewall, av, spam blocking, parental controls). I dunno how it compares to F-Secure's actual suite, but if it's any indication, I wasn't too thrilled with it because, while it had some good features, it was a serious resource hog. I haven't tried FSecure's real suite tho.

My personal favorite is ZA Security Suite. Since they have gotten most of the bugs ironed out of of version 6, the latest release run smoothly for me. However, instead of using that, I am now using ZA Pro and NOD32 on my laptop, simply because my laptop doesn't need all the extra features of ZA's suite, like IM security, spam blocking or privacy controls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.