Internet monitoring

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tori55, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tori55

Tori55 Registered Member

Hi,

We are looking for some quick solution to somehow control internet usage in our company (I am the admin).

I don't want to block all the sites, I think it would be better to gather usage statistics with daily/weekly reports (e.g. "weekly top facebook.com users") and have it emailed to the "winners" so they could adjust their behavior :D

Any suggestions?

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Router logs, if available from your router, can show the internal ip to external ip. Some routers show more info, others the basics. It poses no excess resource usage other than needing a maching that can 'catch' those logs. I forget now which ones I have tried, but I believe my favorite one was WallWatcher. Don't know if that is still available or not. There are other options, but I loved having my router logs because they also show who is knocking on the door and on what port. Not every scan is nefarious, but when you see computers in your ISP's subnet hitting your over and over on well known ports, it is a pretty good indication.

Sul.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If your company uses a static IP address, OpenDNS might be a good consideration. Lots of options, free or paid!
    http://www.opendns.com/

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Wallwatcher is alive and well and is a wonderful tool
    http://www.wallwatcher.com/
    Nice, clean UI, which permits immediate sorting by any column and good logging into text files which are simple to manipulate.

5. Tori55

Tori55 Registered Member

Hi, thank you.

Currently I've decided to try both Wallwatcher for the server logs, and also just found Work time for the workstations monitoring (from their site: WorkTime - internet usage monitoring software - tracks time in projects, applications, documents, web-sites, computer games).
    It has to be installed on every PC, but it has the advantage - it tracks actual time spent on each page or site (and also all applications/documents as well), not only list of accessed URLs..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.