Internet history

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by TheModernAge, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Simple don't Post if you think he is trying to do somethig unethical or underhanded or doing something he is not supposed to be doing.

I wouldn't.

Everybody should be treated fairly in a non-judgemental manor. If we don't we create a board for the elite who never go into any gray areas..who all ways do what the management says, even if it means hurting a coworker or a friend. Who are we to judge peoples motives for doing things, they are the final judge. If they are doing something they are not supposed to do and they get caught, then they deserve everything they get. Bet who are we to withhold help just because we don't know the whole story, really its not are business. It's their business, if they screw-up.....they pay the price...not us. We are here to help everyone who asks for help if we can.

2. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello Carver,
    Fair to whom? How about the person that owns the Computer?
    Its you that's judging motivation, not me.

On the facts, not on your suppostions, someone wants to delete history off a computer that they don't own and wants to hide that action. Its you that's (emotionally at that) reading all sorts of things into this.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

The person who posts.

I see.

Has TheModernAge made a third post, or did we scare him off.

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

I see you're fond of making suppositions.

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Strictly speaking, you're inferring a lot here. Read again the explicitly stated facts. The inferences you make might be reasonable, but you really shouldn't confuse those inferences with explicitly stated facts.

Blue

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Naa, just asked a question.

7. zcv

zcv Registered Member

HI Blue,

Ok, we're going around and around on this and don't thnk we'll come to an agreement here.

The judgement that counts is yours, you could have shut this down and chose not to.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Why should it be shut down :doubt:

The thread starter posed questions and received answers related to those questions. Some of the other responses....tho not off topic per say....are nothing more than personal opinions related to personal perceptions based soley on the contents of one post by the thread starter.

As long as members personal opinions are respected and the participation remains at a appropriate discussion level everything will be fine.

Bubba

9. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi Bubba,

Should have written: removed the original post.

10. BlueZannetti

zcv,

You stated that there were specific facts in front of everyone. According to your post, those facts were:
    • A user wishes to delete the Internet history from a computer
    • A computer which the user did not own
    • The user wished to hide the fact that the history was deleted
    In fact, only the first of those facts is explicitly stated. The second and third are inferred.

Regards,

Blue

11. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Yes, ownership is inferred, or I should say, lack of it.
    Well, I read that as hiding - more to the point, altering data.

This is the heart of the matter and our difference.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  12. BlueZannetti

In other words, not a fact.

Again, inferred.

I have absolutely no problem with your position. It differs from mine and that's absolutely fine. I am strident when clear inferences are explicitly sold as fact and happen to believe the distinction is rather important to maintain when operating with incomplete information.

I'm done.

Regards,

Blue

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  13. GS2

GS2 Registered Member

I would go for the LiveCD route also, though one may have some trouble if it has a PCI wireless card - depends on the chip used. But a cabled Ethernet connection would be fine.

Incidentally all this can be found out on a search engine, so not really much point worrying about the inferred or actual facts of who this person may/may not be - they got their info now so the old water has passed under the bridge.

14. tayres

tayres Guest

Apart from the original question about how to go around in place security, this thread reveals something about the values and the capacity for discernment of the respondents, not just technical knowledge. It also raises the larger question of what responsibilities members have towards others when offering advice, with some arguing for more responsibility (using "judgment") and others for less (by being more "nonjudgmental").

We seem to have little problem when deciding whether or not someone is a troll in these forums and react accordingly, but in this case have invoked all sorts of reasons to avoid using the same kind of judgement for a matter that is almost certainly as important, if not more so.

15. BlueZannetti

tayres,

Points taken, and they are valid ones to raise.

Part of the question being discussed towards the end of this thread is being precise and objective regarding what one infers about information offered. If one wishes to make assumptions and proceed on that basis, that is absolutely fine, just realize that there is a difference between assumptions and objective fact and try not to relabel one as the other.

As for forum trolls and other matters, I always strive to objectively assess the information at hand and provide the benefit of doubt to all when working with incomplete information. At times that benefit is appropriate, at times it's not, and at times we'll never know.

Cheers,

Blue

16. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I like the way you articulate and restate the questions raised in this thread. In my opinion, you have stated the questions in a very clear and concise way. For what it's worth, I feel you have chosen your words well.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Theres always going to be some tinge of possible overreaction when presented with details as been suggested at the start of this, but thats no reason alone to discount spy1 and other's bringing to the surface those concern's. The more dialogue either way the closer to drawing a better more concise conclusion wouldn't you think?

18. BlueZannetti

EASTER.2010,

I didn't dismiss them. If one has a concern regarding facts not explicitly in evidence, posing a simple question can serve two functions:

1. Alert others to issues that they may not have considered
    2. Allow people to render informed decisions and not jump to conclusions.

However, questions were not explicitly asked and judgement was rendered. Some may not be able to, as spy1 put it, "presume good intention". So be it. Yet, in the absence of firm and explicit evidence, I choose not to presume bad intention.

Cheers,

Blue

19. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

All well and good, but has TheModernAge posted back to answer any concerns at this time?

20. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

No, he was scared off :(

21. zcv

zcv Registered Member

By What?

22. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Don't you mean by whom.

23. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

A two page discussion about whether he/she had any right to ask the question, or expect an answer??

24. zcv

zcv Registered Member

I did mean what - certainly not from board policy.
    Quoting Blue, that's an inference. :D

25. BlueZannetti

Touché..., and quite correct I might add :)

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.