Internet gradually loses connection...attacked?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by R2D2, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R2D2

R2D2 Registered Member

Recently, my internet connection would work fine but after about 15-20 minutes of surfing, the connection would gradually cut-off. At first, I noticed some images wouldn't properly load on webpages then very soon the connection is completely lost. Could this be a buffer overflow? I have guessed it's possibly my degrading memory card (PC is about 7 years old :cool: ) Could that be the culprit?

I'm not familiar with all symptoms of a buffer overflow or denial of service. The buffers are set at 40 in my config.sys (Win9:cool:, I guess that's normal. I don't think a buffer overflow would change that setting. Any ideas?

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Memory card? I'm not quite sure as to exactly which component you are referring to. Shouldn't it be the graphics card/ on-board graphics( if your computer uses integrated graphics)?

All right, lets do it step-by-step.

I rule out the possibility of a buffer overflow, degrading graphics card or a D-O-S attack at this stage.

You are using Win 9x. Am I right or wrong?
    Which internet browser are you using?
    What type of internet connection are you on?
    Do you have a firewall?
    Have you recently installed any additional software programs or changed any hardware component?
    Is your version of Windows updated with all the latest patches? NOTE: Microsoft has discontinued support for older versions of Windows.
    Have you scanned your computer for any malware, and, if so, are your anti-spyware or anti-virus programs up to date?

3. R2D2

R2D2 Registered Member

Hello nadirah,

Yes, it's Win 98
    I'm using the latest version of Firefox with cable
    ZA firewall
    I recently installed Kaspersky anti-virus 6.0 but I don't think that's the cause
    and it's updated. I did a thorough scan with it and CounterSpy, no threats detected.
    Fortunately, the internet works fine now but was curious to what caused the problem.

Jeff

4. sevr

sevr Registered Member

I think you were victim of SYN-FLOOD or other FLOOD.

Do you seen anormal packets drops in log of ZA ?

5. R2D2

R2D2 Registered Member

Hi sevr,

Yes, that could be.
    I see TCP (flags:S) outgoing under protocol in my ZA log, and a few UDP incoming if I remember, but all were blocked. There hasn't been any recent ZA activity.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.