Internet Explorer market share surges, as IE 9 wins hearts and minds

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Like SPDY, which Firefox has now implemented and is well on its way to becoming a standard?

I agree with you for something like DART, which needs to be standardized further by w3c and Chrome jumped the gun there (and risked seriously splitting the web, though I doubt it would ever catch on quickly) but browsers implementing standards has happened in the past and it's not the worst thing int eh world.

Collaboration with w3c etc is important. I think we can both agree?

Maybe.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes. If I fund a project of yours, it's also your money. That doesn't mean you'd be OK without me or without somebody else.

And, for somebody with lots of it, they still enjoy getting more millions from Google. A contradiction? If they already have lots of it, then why do they need Google?

This has the credit it has, but there's an interesting article here: -http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mozilla-Is-Not-a-Google-Competitor-but-It-s-Not-a-Partner-Either-243449.shtml

Mozilla and Google have an interesting relationship. On the one hand, Mozilla depends on Google money to survive. On the other, Google is working on Chrome, a Firefox competitor that now has roughly the same market share as the open-source browser.

-http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Will-Pay-Mozilla-1-Billion-766-Million-for-Default-Search-Spot-in-Firefox-242682.shtml

Apparently, three times as much.

Isn't this a lot of money, for someone already with lots of it. Why do they need it, then?

-edit-

I'm only mentioning all of this, because you said they're not in it for the money. OK. lol

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

So are you trying to say that they must not have money because they still enjoy making billions or are you trying to say that any company with enough money should reject all future payments?

If you pay me abillion dollars to run a 100//month web server it definitely does.

Not interested in articles. I'm sure I've read them lol and it doesn' tmatter... I know people who work for them. I'll take their word over a journalist.

Is it black and white, one or the other? Can they not prioritize an open browser and also enjoy the money too?

They are creating their product because they want to create their product. They get paid to do it. It's the good life.

I'm sure quite a few people work there purely for the money, but higher ups (as I understand it, and I would think that I do considering) legitimately believe in the project... I'm not sure why that doesn't mean they don't also like lots of money.

You should see their offices. Filled with kegs and bean bags- they enjoy the money, it doesn't mean that's what the project is about.

EDIT: But, again, I'd rather not talk about Mozilla itself. Take this post or leave it - if you want to belive they're in it fo rmoney that's fine but I'd rather not say more on the matter as it's information that I have through a personal relationship with a friend.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's no where near becoming a standard, was it even submitted? I think you're thinking of HTTP 2.0 which will be the real standard and SPDY will just become extra code wasting on Firefox's and Chrome's codebase for backwards compat.
    But as usual Google are trying to do it their own way instead of following standards (DART instead of next-gen ECMAv6, SPDY instead of next-gen HTTPv2).

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Aren't we neglecting to bring up the fact that IE ads are all over TV and, um, Chrome and Firefox aren't? I see IE 9 TV ads at least twice a day, and, knowing TV ads, it's on a lot more than that. Oh, I've seen Chrome ads..on the net. And, frankly, the ones I've seen barely look like they're trying to advertise Chrome.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This is quite a surprise to me as here in Australia we don't have TV ads for browsers, and I had no idea that there were such ads in the US.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

We get them here in the UK. Unless I'm just thinking of adverts for Win 7.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

We don't see them here, either. I'm glad for that. Then again, nor we see ads for operating system. Also glad for that.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Apart from the ads, there have been recent "adjustments" to country "weights":

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

IE9 ads? Really?? o_O I see Chrome ads everywhere!

Well I guess that explains the IE6 usage increase!

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Internet Explorer reverses downward trend
    FWIW,

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not once have I ever seen a Chrome ad on TV, but yeah, Microsoft is all over the networks with IE 9. Not bad ads either, quite professional. Bing gets a spotlight in them too.

14. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

According to another "know-all" browser-wars site, Google Chrome is about taking over the trone from M$ in a few days, and now these guys tell us this story.

Oooh please, take this browser war ~Phrase removed~ to the trashbin, and don't forget to take it out when you get the newspaper.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  15. Daveski17

I've said this all along about these supposed browser usage 'statistics' though, & I just get mocked. I honestly believe that nobody really knows what the real figures actually are.

16. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

"...as IE 9 wins hearts and minds"

Disagree. IE9 is the most used simply because it is the default Windows browser, nothing else.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There are actually measurements, but, as we've seen it depends on who is doing the measuring and how. I personally think it's funny, yet sad to see comments about fairness and all this nonsense about other browsers being pushed down. We are long past the days of IE-only websites being the norm, and, well, hopefully, Internet Explorer being thought of as an "internet explorer". The cold, hard truth is that users have choices these days, and, if IE is chosen for a bigger percentage of them, so be it.

IE is also the "business browser", so we have to take that into account as well. (granted the reasons for that are completely stupid, as it boils down to being cheap and lazy).

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I disagree with you. There was a time when that was completely true though.

19. yeah if you say falsehoods long enough over and over it becomes true lol. the old adage is the glass half empty or half full senerio. Most statistics can be lean in either direction depending on who is compiling ,tweaking them and using them for the benefit of their own agenda . So I too do not believe these numbers are true.

20. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I understand that there are options these days, but from my experience most people stay with the default due to lack of knowledge. Among people who know a bit more about computing, i'm sure IE9 is far from being the most used.

21. Daveski17

I don't doubt that there are real measurements, they just seem so subjective that I've lost all track (& interest) in them.

Possibly, but for the great majority of Internet users & personal computer owners I still honestly think that they just click the blue 'Internet' icon & surf. I have actually met people who have bought new 64 bit (Windows) computers & didn't realise that there were two versions of IE on their respective computers.

There's that of course. I still think that IE probably renders some pages better, I'm thinking of text user interfaces on bulletin boards & the like. To be honest, it's so long since I've ever really used IE I've forgotten. Over the past 3 or 4 years I've probably been using Firefox or SeaMonkey more than any other browser. I used various others, especially during those dark Firefox 3 - 3.6 days when even SeaMonkey was going through a rough patch. IE9 is pretty good on my desktop, but I have Waterfox & I can't seem to find many reasons to even open IE9.

22. Daveski17

That sounds about right.

23. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Statistics in general have its use, that said I couldn't care less which browser is more popular or in use more. With so many good browsers to chose from there is no reason to stick just to one or recommend only one.

24. Daveski17

I doubt it. "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" ~ Benjamin Disraeli

25. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Statistics is nothing more than making numbers say what you want them to. It's hard not to have the most common browser when it's part of almost every Windows PC (except mine) :D. Google pads their numbers by having other apps install chrome. The only purpose I can see to all this number padding is to impress stock holders who don't seem to understand just how meaningless those numbers are.

Browser wars are nothing more than worthless noise that people should stop paying attention to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.