Internet Explorer has stopped working

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dragon1952, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Yes, those are the correct settings.

2. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I have those settings also. Like boredog said, this occurs randomly. Example: IE crashes when I click on the "most frequent" field on home page, but not when I click on the webpage's corresponding bookmark. When I was using Firefox, disabling Enforce DEP in HMPA's interface under Exploit Mitigations took care of those crashes, but of all browsers, the least thing I wanna do is disable any HMPA component for IE. Buggy IE! I'm so disgusted. :mad:

3. itman

itman Registered Member

I can click on all those in IE11 w/o issue.

Remember what I said about malware previously? I also used to have IE11 crashing all the time on Win 10. Went through all the gyrations you are currently doing. Finally resolved it by creating a new standard user profile. Selectively copied my limited admin profile files to it excluding anything to do with IE. Then I changed standard user profile to limited admin status. Once I was sure everything was working fine under the new limited admin profile, I deleted the old one. Never have had an issue with IE since.

Since you are on Win 7, can't say how the above will fare on your build.

4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Just tried disabling Enforce DEP under IE Exploit Mitigations in HMPA, with a crash in about 10 minutes. No, it does not work. Creating a new user account is a very good idea, but specifically on here, it's not feasible, darn it. Also ran the Troubleshooter in Control Panel for Internet Explorer Performance--no issues.

Looks like a new user account/user profile (depends) is the best option up to now, at least for Windows 10 machines.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean for this to look like I was barging in on Dragon1952's IE problem. It was just trying to figure things out because we have the same problem and also have HMPA.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Save yourself misery and install FlashPeak SlimBrowser. Runs nicely on top of Internet 11.

Its GUI looks better than the stock IE11 interface.

6. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I actually only use IE11 about 1 or 2 minutes a day because it is there. I love my Chrome with all my extensions. I want to fix it partly just to find out what is wrong with it. I don't really want it around if it is wounded like this, so i have to try to fix it. I also have had comodo dragon since it first came out. I only use it a few minutes now and then. It is like a old friend that i want to keep in contact with. It has the same theme and bookmarks as my chrome does.

7. Stupendous Man

I understand you want to fix IE11.
    But if the guy who repaired your system messed up something, it may be hard to fix.
    As I mentioned earlier, if the guy used an image of your own original HDD installation, or some standard image, not suited to your new SSD hardware, or with messed up software or settings, that may cause issues. That may be hard to fix.
    You mentioned that other of that guy's clients also got IE11 issues after he repaired their systems. That is not promising at all. :(

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Have you tried any of the usual command line stuff like:
    "sfc /scannow"
    and / or
    "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"
    Those utilities might find and fix system issues that may help. They also may not but it can't hurt to try.

9. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I would take it back and tell him fix it!!

10. itman

itman Registered Member

He's on Win 7, so this is N/A.

Also for Win 10, this PowerShell fix:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Won't work for IE11 since it is not a native Win 10 app like Edge is.

11. Dragon1952

I ran sfc / scannow a coulple days ago and came up with no problems. Never heard about "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

12. Dragon1952

I used some free winfix&&&% app a few years ago that is popular but i can't remember the name of it now.

13. Dragon1952

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro is what i used a few years ago. Might have to try it again to fix IE11 and photo viewer.

14. Dragon1952

Should i turn off dep or leave it on for win 7. I read that can cause some programs to crash.

15. Stupendous Man

I say, leave DEP enabled. See my signature: "DEP enabled for all programs and services".
    If DEP is enabled for all programs and services, and there is a program that doesn't work with DEP enabled, you'll get a DEP notification from the Windows notification area, and you can exclude that program from DEP.

16. Dragon1952

I just ran this and it checked out and or fixed and reset a lot of things. After it was done and restarted IE11 still crashes and photo viewer still won't work.

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Whoops, nevermind. This one is for Windows 8 or newer.

18. Dragon1952

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.9.27

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
  19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Might not be the wisest thing to do if he is the one who screwed things up to begin with. He might not be capable of fixing what he did, or he might not acknowledge that it was his fault. Might be best to never set foot in that guy's store again.

20. Dragon1952

I thought that tweeking app would fix the windows photo viewer problem but no such luck.

21. Dragon1952

Tony came over to my home and took my computer away to put in a ssd with win7 on it for me. A few days later he brought it back. As soon as we fired it up the cat cc for my card would keep on crashing. I needed that to get in and move the overscan level to the max in order to fill out the entire screen like i did when bought this in 2012. Tony changed the cat cc to compability mode for win7 and it did not crash anymore. If you want tony to do a great job on your computer then give him a call....lmao ~ Off Topic Link Removed ~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
  22. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

If this is on Windows 10, have you installed the cumulative update for Windows 10 dated March 22? A previous cumulative update causes IE 11 to crash.

23. Dragon1952

If anybody knows what update that was that caused ie11 to crash then let me know so i could uninstall it.

24. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I've noticed my IE11 hasn't crashed in days now, maybe because of the MS updates? who knows.

25. Stupendous Man

thanatos_theos mentioned an update for Windows 10.
    Dragon1952, you mentioned your system is Windows 7.

The update for Windows 10 dated March 22 was KB4016446, "Forms in Dynamics CRM 2011 are broken after KB 4013073 for Internet Explorer 11 is installed".
    The issue that KB4016446 fixed, was introduced with March 14 update KB4013073, "MS17-006: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: March 14, 2017".
    But that was not an update for Windows 7.

I see no relation with your Windows 7 system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.