Internet Explorer 9 to be the Fastest and Safest Web Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Of course I was, which is why I put a big grin there :) No way on this earth would I do it or suggest anyone else switch their OS for a browser, no matter how good it was.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Never problem for me with Gmaps and Yahoo Mail. Slow with Hotmail, but I believe is a Microsoft policy to discourage the other browsers using.

3. blacknight

So I believe: it was implied in my post n.38 here. They can wait till the end of the universe :D :D I 'll never use 7 - which I have a regular license - only to use IE. :mad: :D :D

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Opera wasn't slow in Gmaps, just didn't seem to function well. It is a fast browser overall though. I kind of miss it in a way.

5. Daveski17

Yeah! They have to make up for making MSE freeware! :D LOL

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Given how Hotmail lists Firefox, Chrome, and Safari as compatible browsers, all of which happen to be more threatening competitors to IE than Opera, I think your belief is rather unfounded.

7. blacknight

Ya, I think. But now I remember that in UE there was legal conflicts between Opera and Microsoft....

8. Daveski17

Apparently Opera ASA are a bit miffed that Windows is shipped with a native browser called Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is ugly & not particularly good, supposedly, yet it works properly & has extensions like a decent adblocker & WOT. Maybe there could be a lesson for Opera ASA in that. ;)

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I thought Opera advocates would have jumped in but ...

you can look here (if you reeeeeally want WOT for Opera, which I doubt ;) ):
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/fre...working/3808-how-to-install-wot-on-opera.html
    and
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/fre...-wot-web-of-trust-for-different-browsers.html

As for a decent adblocker, even though no one else agrees, I am truly happy with Privoxy which works with *all* my browsers.

10. blacknight

The problem was with AntiTrust UE Commission. And Microsoft lost. I believe you know it. But there was also a problem of Web standards interoperability: http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2007/12/13/ .

11. Daveski17

I know about the WOT bookmark, but even Safari has decent extensions now. Opera was fine once, well, apart from its usual problems, however, time has moved on ... ;)

12. Daveski17

I know, it does come across as Opera whingeing a bit though doesn't it?

13. blacknight

What do you have against Opera ? You don't like it ? Don't use. It's not as IE, that I must use for - only manual ! -Windows Update :mad:

14. Daveski17

I've got nothing against Opera, I'm not a fanboy of anything particularly, Opera would be fine if it worked properly, probably the best browser, in fact. However, it's not as fast as it claims on my computer & it breaks pages & has no extensions (that I class as extensions anyway). I used to use it all the time. It has some good features. IMHO Opera ASA tend to rush releases & lose many users because of problems which inevitably ensue from that.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well you should know better than to take the word of 1. The marketing department of any company. 2. The oh so holy, yet oh so completely useless "speed test". You can't get an accurate test of speed, either you test it in a static environment where the "lab" is so controlled that it can't possibly be realistic, or, you test it where it should be tested, online, where the test is subject to everything from your own connection glitches to DNS, server, and all sorts of other issues. So there is no good way to test it. Opera didn't "break" pages for me, but there is a realistic, simple explanation for that, it is highly unlikely you and I or anyone else have the same surfing habits. Whether any of us like it or not, the internet as a whole does not comply with "standards". You can't visit 20 websites on the internet with all the major browsers, find one or two that a browser "breaks", and then get all over the browser developer for not following "standards".

The REAL problem still remains that there are some half-wit, lazy web devs out there that don't test their website against all major browsers, the browsers end up not working properly for a user, and then the user gets on the browser developer. Are there a lot of things browser developers do wrong? You bet. IE has the issue of being sat on for too long, while everyone else went further with improvements and features. Opera has a marketing issue, Chrome has a Google issue, and, really, without extensions, a bit of a lack of things period (personal opinion), it goes on and on. There's a lot of things that can be changed, but careful where the blame is put.

16. Daveski17

Damn! You mean to tell me that these guys tell porkies? LOL

MUST...HAVE....MORE...SPEEEED...o_O

Sorry (got a bit carried away), Opera is quite 'snappy' though, but having said that, now I'm using a light AV everything is (more or less). My own personal test is what I call the 'iDaveWidget' test. I have an iGoogle page with a ridiculous number of pointless widgets, everything from my horoscope to one telling me where the International Space Station is (apparently almost always over Australia). In fact, there are so many widgets I normally have the page on 'Classic Home' view as it takes its time loading. I test which browser loads the iDaveWidget page the fastest. I think Chrome/Iron wins, Safari is a close second with SeaMonkey/Firefox third (although I think the Monkey is a tad faster than the Fox). Opera seems quick at first but it seems to take a while to fully load. OK, it's not very scientific, but it's my way of ascertaining browser speeds. ;)

You're right of course. I'm still miffed that Firefox/SeaMonkey breaks my My Yahoo! page LOL! Opera's fine in that btw.

You could be right about Opera, even people who are technically computer illiterate have heard of Firefox, many have even heard of Chrome. Say the word 'Opera' & most people think of Bryn Terfel or Angela Gheorghiu.

I think some of Chrome's extensions are really good. Some of them even work properly as well. :D

17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

In terms of GUI, nothing impressive, ah?

Attached Files:

18. Daveski17

Well, it looks a bit cleaner than IE8, or is that with a smaller window & aeroglass? In which case, it looks about the same.

19. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It is exactly the same as IE8, so are you sure?

Or is it just to show the new New tab page?

20. Daveski17

Yeah, & is the Menu Bar hidden? If I do that with IE8 it leaves WOT all on its own but doesn't make the GUI smaller. :(

21. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Yeah, menu bar and status bar are just disabled at that screenie. It looks exactly like my IE8. And that is indeed a week point in IE's GUI, if you add something like WOT or McAfee SiteAdvisor it takes up a whole bar. Instead of being able to move it into a corner or something.

EDIT: Screenie added for comparison.

Attached Files:

22. blacknight

Wow...:rolleyes: Opera, FF... have hundred of skins, I'm afraid that Microsoft until is in a dominant position about browser won't cure of the users.

23. Daveski17

Yeah, I'm not impressed so far.

24. guest

guest Guest

A great part of those skins are outdated, incomplete and/or have some other negative impact.

I prefer to rely on a GUI made with extensive usability and other kinds of studies behind any decision.

My browser window. Currently running IE8, with high expectations for the IE9 release.

25. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.