Internet Explorer 9 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Are you sure? Even if it wasn't posted, it's inevitably going to happen. Web developers will be hoping for sooner than later.

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I guess that users will have to manually update/opt-in via Windows Update, it won't happen automatic. Just like with the update to Internet Explorer 8. Probably they will also first try it for a small audience.

Also with the update to Internet Explorer 8 the manual update was made available one month after release, so we will have to wait some time I think.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

If I remember correctly IE 8 was released as an update. I don't see IE 9 being any different. Actually I can wait ... I have a large supply of Jaffa cakes ... :D

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Do not really see what is the problem here? Go and download it... New IE versions have never been pushed via WU days after release. :rolleyes:

Heck, you can even distribute it via WSUS if you import it there. Just did that a couple of days ago on a selected group of test monkeys. :p

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

We are all test monkeys for Microsoft. They never seem to reach a stage where they say this is where we wanted to be even with shipping products. Usually behind the curve, playing catch-up to either Google or Apple.

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

8. Daveski17

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that I got IE 8 in a standard Windows update. I remember this because a relative of mine (who has even less knowledge of computers than I do) had a hell of a time with it. Her Norton AV kept uninstalling it.

EDIT: Just seen Ron's link ...

"Every browser has a mechanism for updating their users from a previous version of a browser to the latest and greatest. For IE9, it is done through Windows Update."

Hmmmm *thinks* that might be an interesting career move for me as a Microsoft test monkey ... maybe not ... :D ;)

(I remember Vista)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  9. Daveski17

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yeah, but certainly not a couple of days after release.

11. Daveski17

Oh yeah, sorry I'm half asleep. It has been more than a couple of days though.

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well, IE 9 will NEVER be rolled out on my Windows Update that's for sure :D

14. Daveski17

Don't feed the trolls. ;)

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Not even chocolate digestives?

Anyways, plans for Win8 are full steam ahead (judging by the graphic leaks) and my grand aim of "leap-frogging" Vista & Win7 doesn't seem too unrealistic.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I don't, what I said is true :D

Maybe it should have been easier to understand if I said that I run XP.
    And since IE 9 don't run on XP, It will never ever show up as an update. :rolleyes:

17. Daveski17

Not even Jaffa cakes ... :D

I think by Win 8 I will have converted to Linux! ;)

18. Daveski17

I believe you. :)

OK, well, you can always use Firefox 4 which will work on XP. :cool:

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I spotted a reference to Opera in that report, dear god that's like spotting a snow leopard in a subway tunnel in New York City. *Ahem*..Back on topic: I have no idea what's going on with IE9, nor Microsoft. It honestly does seem like they are still playing the catch-up game. My opinion is that they really should think about having a shorter cycle like FF, Chrome, and heck, even Opera. They also made a bad move by not supporting XP. First they anger their lazy business users by threatening to take XP support away, then they anger them further by wanting to roll out IE9 through updates...though no one has still explained to me how it angers businesses that MS would roll out a browser, that, by all accounts, the majority of business not only can't use, but won't even be seen in their updates.

IE9, for what it is, is a decent offering, and Microsoft has come a long way. But, there just isn't anything there that is all that special. Especially not after two years. Just my two cents.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

One aspect in this whole Vista/Win7 is the obvious implication is that Microsoft is the way to access the web.

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I hate it when people mention loyalty when it comes to software, I can't comprehend it. At first I thought he was making some generalized statement towards some kind of loyalty to the browser a person chooses, then I realized he was pegging it against Opera which makes sense since it is after all, the Apple of browsers.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's really a shame, to me. Opera could be right up there in the battle, but Opera's own people hold it back. It's a great little browser, they've made some mistakes (bitorrent, Unite), but otherwise there is simply no reason it should still be stuck at the market share it has. I can never get the thing to work properly, and it's in dire need of a better way to block scripts and ads, otherwise I'd use it. I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Opera's people for it's stagnant use, not the browser itself. Okay, back to IE9, lol, sorry.

24. Daveski17

Yes, Opera would be brilliant if only it worked properly ;) . Interestingly both Opera & IE 9 have problems for me with adblocking. I can't get Opera's internal adblock.ini file not to break pages & its extension adblocker doesn't work. Simple Adblock for IE 9 is (AFAIK) no longer freeware. Apart from being a tight git, I just can't justify paying for an adblocker for a browser I will almost inevitably hardly ever use.

Unless there is some way to tweak IE 9 for adblocking that actually works .... ?

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, Simple Adblock is no longer free. Though, on IE (and Opera for that matter), you could try HpHosts with only their ad/tracking server list. I wouldn't go overboard and add a bunch more to it, but it may very well solve the problem, and, it's one less extension that may slow down your surfing or cause problems. I might even try that out myself, depending on how I end up feeling about Chromes ad blocking extensions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.