Internet Explorer 9 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

My IE8 InPrivateFiltering list from IE8 was left intact along with the new tpl that I added. The only difference is that my InPrivateFiltering list is Disabled after installing IE9 and has been renamed to Your Personalized List. I have left it that way(Disabled) for now because I read somewhere that if it is enabled, it will over ride the new tpl's. Don't know if that is true or not but as of right now, I am happy with the new lists and left the Your Personalized List disabled.

2. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

How to block Ads with IE 9 (Since the tracking lists Microsoft offers don't actually block ads):

-Download Fanboy's Adblock List for Internet Explorer 9:
    http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ie.html

-For better results, follow these instructions to use a special stylesheet:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18511915&postcount=71

Here's a screenshot comparison:

-Easylist:
    http://img546.imageshack.us/f/easylist.jpg/
    -Fanboy's list
    http://img580.imageshack.us/f/fanboys.jpg/
    -Fanboy's list + Style sheet
    http://img695.imageshack.us/f/fanboystylesheet.jpg/

I recommend that you use both Fanboy's list and Stylesheet, since they complement each other .

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I wonder the same...:doubt:

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That was never an IE issue, it was a flash issue.

Interesting because IE collapsed elements that were blocked with TPL's fine for me o_O

5. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hmm, I'm not getting flash to work on YouTube. Reckon what's up with that? In IE8, I had it set to allow for YouTube so with IE9, I don't get the yellow popup at the bottom of the browser to allow it either.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Most likely, but I had problems with missing icons & sidebar issues with the RC on my laptop (I haven't tried the RC on my desktop yet). When I reverted back to IE 8 they were resolved. I assumed that this was some RAM issue (my laptop only has 1 Gbyte of RAM). I may be wrong about this but it's all I can think of. IE 9 will probably be fine on my 64 bit Win 7 machine but I am still a bit dubious about upgrading on my laptop. Especially as I hardly ever use IE anyway on it. I would rather not have a desktop icon problem & a working sidebar with IE 8 than have IE 9 & its attendant problems.

7. elapsed

Not sure, ActiveX filtering? I actually removed the site restrictions from flash myself so it's allowed on all sites and use ActiveX filtering instead.

I believe gadgets not working is because they use the IE engine to render certain things. I don't use gadgets, so you'd have to risk it and find out if it's fixed in release.

I can't see how the amount of RAM you have would affect it at all, that would be quite odd.

8. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Using IE 9 as main browser..all seems well. By the Way, Internet Explorer nine downloaded directly from Windows update this morning. Everything from IE 8 is carried over.

9. elapsed

I'm thinking of ditching my IE9 TPL site or making it a forward to fanboy's site.

I've removed all my TPL's and added all of fanboy's TPL's and it seems to block 99% of ads (only the google "text" ads get past). Can anyone confirm that also?

http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ie.html

10. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

Yeah, I can confirm. The style sheet seems to eliminate them, though.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If not inconvenient, it's better to redirect than to "ditch".

12. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

@Someheresomethere
    Thanks for the Opera CSS tip. I downloaded the one from Fanboy's website and works great! :thumb:

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I wonder the same as well.

14. radial5

radial5 Registered Member

I think MS have done a commendable job with IE9, I've been using it since Beta. Other than a couple of niggles with flash content I haven't had any issues. I like the selective ActiveX filtering - it really seems to let you have more control on what Add-ons and extensions are used when browsing and the TPL feature further adds to it.

(I do think it's a shame that XP is not at least getting an XP compatible version with some of the new features, I suppose there is always one of the strong alternatives for those that don't like IE8.)

15. guest

guest Guest

I think MS screwed up big time. :thumbd: - Whatever simpleton in Redmond had the idea to mess the InPrivate function should be cruci... thrown out! o_O

With IE8 we SSD users could minimize write action by surfing in InPrivate mode. Because temporary internet files weren't written to disk (SSD). Great function I use(d) with FF and - so far - IE.

Now in IE9 those morons changed that (obviously for no reason other than to piss off SSD users): NOW temporary internet files ARE written to disk in InPrivate mode and then are DELETED when IE9 is closed. - Great idea, really!!! :thumbd:

Result: I'm not going to use this piece of .. o_O

16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hmm, how did you manage to get them not written to disk? I've used InPrivateBrowsing quite alot and it's always written to the disk. As a matter of fact, it uses ClearMyTracks to erase written items when the browser is closed.

17. guest

guest Guest

If this really was the case (can't verify now) then IE9 is simply as worse as IE8 was. :cool: - Firefox let's you stop all disk caching and this is what I want using my SSD. - And sorry if I was wrong about IE8, but I was under the impression of much less writing there with InPrivate (as I said can't verify that now)!

However .. InPrivate mode in IE sucks, maybe it did also in IE8, but for sure now in IE9. And it seems stupid to me especially with privacy concerns to first write files that then are deleted if browsers like Firefox can do that without any cache writing to disk (SSD).

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Ok, I see. The option to not write to the temp folder. I may have never used that with IE. I have with Firefox but not IE. Can't you use one of those apps that create a Ram disk and adjust it?

19. guest

guest Guest

I could of course though I have only 2 GB RAM (32-bit Win7) which are more than enough for my usage. But since IE is only one of my backup browsers and since I was fine with IE8 I am probably now with IE9 just using Firefox all the time. :p - Praying that they do not forget about their SSD users. ;)

Simple Adblock btw didn't work in IE8 in InPrivate mode if I am not wrong, but Adblock Plus does of course in private mode of Firefox. ;) - Private mode for me is/was in fact SSD mode. :)

20. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

strange that activex filtering seems to screw up flash, cant watch youtube videos with it enabled

21. elapsed

That's the point. You enable it on-demand on a per website basis. Click the blue symbol in the address bar and select "Turn off Active X Filtering". Then that website is allowed.

I generally only recommend this feature to nerds/geeks as others find it too much work or simply forget/get confused when their websites don't work.

22. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ah ok, so thats how it works, kinda like a noscript, thanks

23. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Impressive. IE9 with JS on feels a little bit faster then Chrome with JS off. Great job MS :thumb:

24. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i think the new Active-X filtering and Cross-site scripting filter are great security features.

you add Protected Mode under UAC which was in IE8 and it gets even better.
    i haven't looked into Trackin Protection yet.

it is much faster than IE8.
    it don't know if it is as fast as Chrome but the difference, if there is one, is small.

very hard to pick between the top browsers, as they seem so close in quality.

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Downloaded and installed :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.