Internet Explorer 9 BSOD during install

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Victek, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm having no luck installing Internet Explorer 9 (x86) on my Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop. I was able to install the last beta without problems, but the RC crashed with a BSOD during install and now the "final" does the same. The error message is "bad pool header". Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this? The system is well maintained and generally stable. This is the only program that has failed in this way. TIA

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'd recommend disabling your overdose (no offense) of security apps if you haven't tried that.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. When I referred to unloading third party apps that includes Zemana AL, Winpatrol and Panda USB Vaccine. Norton Internet Security has been the only security app in memory during the install. It is worth noting that I run the same security applications on my desktop (Win7 HE x64) and all the IE 9 iterations including the final release have installed on it, so I think the problem is somewhere else.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

correct me if im wrong but even if Zemana is disabled there is still stuff hooking the kernel.
    same probably goes for Norton.

you might have the same setup on another computer but it is a different machine.
    it might not like the keyboard on your machine.
    hell, it might not like *you*. ;)

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would agree that the next step is to actually uninstall all the security software since (as you note) disabling it is not the same as removing it. But if it doesn't like me I guess I'm out of luck :cautious: Fortunately Firefox 4 RC seems to like me well enough LOL

6. moontan

my advice is, if you still have problem then uninstall Zemana while you install IE.
    re-install Zemana afterward.

all the BSOD i had on Windows 7 were due to conflicts with security softwares.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Here is the stop code:

0x00000019 0x00000020 0xbdd181f0 0xbdd18228 0x0a070403

Edit: I found a program called BlueScreenView and used it to view the .DMP file. Turns out I still had a copy of dwall.sys on the system from when I experimented with DefenseWall. Apparently it didn't uninstall cleanly. I renamed the file in SAFE mode and was able to install IE 9 afterward.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  9. moontan

tnx for the heads up Victek.

never heard of BlueScreenView but this looks like a neat utility for
    when these BSOD happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.