Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I am still using Internet Explorer 6; anticipating installing Internet Explorer 8. Any suggestions or recommendations for making the switch trouble free? As always I appreciate all replies and thank you in advance.

John

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

You do not state your operating system; however, updating to at least IE7, if not IE8, or using Opera or Firefox would all be better alternatives to continuing to use IE6.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would lose v6 as soon as possible, it's quite old and outdated now. IE8 works fine for me, you can always install it and see how it goes. If you encounter problems, I think you can uninstall and roll back to what you had (not 100% positive, but that's my impression anyway).

4. philby

philby Registered Member

Yes, you can:

Capture.JPG

Read more here.

philby

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

IE8 has problems with quite a lot pages, even 5% is too much since some of them does not even work properly, so I have to use portable Firefox to change settings there or simply use it. Compatibility mode or running as admin does not help. No wonder, that based on the statistics, people are reverting back to IE7.

6. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

7. progress

progress Guest

What Adblocker do you use for IE8? :rolleyes:

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IE8 is the best IE since IE5, IMO. I seldom used IE6 and did not like IE7 at all. IE8 is 7 that's been "done right". The tabs work better, you can set it up to filter ads (for free), it's safer and you can move the reload and stop button to the left side like they should have been on IE7 to start with! I know some have had some issues with IE8 but I have not...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  10. progress

progress Guest

Thank you, but everytime I start IE8 the InPrivate filter is disabled - why? :mad:

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I upgraded to IE8 from IE6 with no trouble.
    One of the things that I really liked about the switch is that importing favorites from FF and Opera was really easy.
    I'm more likely to use IE8 than I did IE6.

It seems to me that InPrivate filtering is a session-only type of feature. I noticed that it wasn't activated after I re-started the browser too.

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

13. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Eice's and my links all note that the InPrivate filtering needs a registry change to be always on when IE8 starts up.

It's worth pointing out that since the InPrivate ad blocking filter stops many ads and pop-ups, and you need a pop-up to appear, you may need to temporarily kill the InPrivate filter. (I did just the other day.) To do so, all you need to do is toggle the InPrivate button off (located on the lower right next to the zoom button) by left clicking on it.

14. progress

progress Guest

This is one reason for me to stay with FF or Opera because no registry modifications are necessary :rolleyes:

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Think of all the fun you are missing! ;)

Seriously, the entry is already created. All you need to do is merge/import it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.