Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

My experience has been similar - v10 was glitchy and v11 is worse. I have two monitors and use Display Fusion to manage windows and create a taskbar on monitor 2. I wonder if that could be a factor? As is v11 borders on unusable for me. Fortunately FF is my main browser and it works fine.

2. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Same problem here which renders IE11 unusable. Can't comment on local newspapers articles no matter what settings are. Is MS aware of this problem and why does it do that?

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

4. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I noticed that on at least one news forum, no copy or paste ability.

5. siljaline

Invision Power Board supports BBCode but is not very friendly at doing it. Some are worse than others.

6. siljaline

IE 11 and Disqus on Web pages do not play well with the TPL's most of us are running within this thread.

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I would consider easing up on the Microsoft blame when one could easily say that IE11 been available to website owners for awhile now and that they should have tested IE11 on their sites. Rather than waiting around and IE11 goes official and waiting for visitor to discover these problems and report these. These problems might look like IE browser bugs that's needing to be patched by Microsoft but in reality it would be something for webmasters to address and not Microsoft.

I'd imagine there be lot of redundant IE-specific code now that could be removed off of different sites... now that most if not all the various IE script engines used is up to web standards now.

Regarding IE11 issues? I'm not finding nothing serious.. I seen one site where in the comment field I couldn't double left-click on a word to highlight, had to highlight and mouse move from start to end of the word. Maybe it was scripted to work this way... I don't know and I'm not really bothered by that.

I use Google and other TPLs and I play the various Youtube videos perfectly fine. But I'm not using Google dutch TPLs. :p

I have no problem on Facebook, or the various other sites I'm frequently visiting and posting at. I reckon that it's probably a small fraction of those with phantom IE client issues. :p

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes. I tried IE 11, but found problems in several transaction-oriented websites that I use. In one of them, the recommended browser is IE 8 (although it works well with IE 10, but not with IE 11).

9. Phant0m

IE Compatibility View on these sites doesn't help?

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I didn´t check compatibility mode. I may try again.

11. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

I tried compatibility mode on a couple of news sites - didn't make any difference.
    I can use the Trident engine in Maxthon and all those sites work fine.

12. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I added the site, I referenced, to compatibility view setting and no it didn't help.

13. niki

niki Registered Member

siljaline, I accessed YouTube in IE 11 and got a box that said: "youtube is not responding" and thus I clicked on recover webpage. Then I got a box telling me that Windows .... and then YT worked.

Noticed that in Event Viewer this error:
    The program iexplore.exe version 11.0.9600.16428 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: 1398
    Start Time: 01cee34944b0732d
    Termination Time: 16
    Application Path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Report Id:

Error: Application Hang Event ID 1002

I'm using IE 11.

So what is next? Thanks.

Edit: I am using the same TPLs as you.

EDIT: I just removed IE11 and went back to IE10. All is well with YT now.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  14. siljaline

@niki - It might have been somewhat drastic to roll back your Browser due to (application hangs) on YouTube. I'm seeing more or less the same events as you are via reliability monitor.
    It might be how you have your cookies set, it might be your hosts file, if you run one, that's tripping over something new on "YT".

I've fiddled with my TPL's a bit and the issue doesn't seem to want to go away. I won't visit YouTube without TPL's running (or) will I accept site cookies so I can visit. When I find some sort of balance to get the site to work under IE 11, I'll post back. If it was more than the one site, there would be reason to be concerned. You might want to flush your Flash settings via Control Panel or view your overall Flash settings .

15. niki

niki Registered Member

@siljaline. Yes, it may have been drastic to remove IE11 but I seldom use IE11 anyway as I have Fx as the default and Pale Moon as a backup browser. I did a manual windows update and did hide the IE11 offer for now. If a fix comes along in the future I may then install it again.

As I hardly have touched all IE browsers in the past 9 years I'm not familiar at all with all its stuff and how to fix things in them. :oops:

Yeah, I disabled the google TPL's in IE11 prior to deleting IE11 and that didn't fix it either.

16. Phant0m

Just received a Win7 computer with IE11 and is acting up on Youtube. No TPLs used, so It isn't that. Compatibility mode isn't the answer to this issue.

I used Modern.IE - http://www.modern.ie/en-US and scanned youtube. For just under 'Known compatibility issues'. There is(are) currently 13 known issue(s) to investigate.

17. siljaline

Thanks for this @ Phant0m | I did indeed find numerous YouTube site compatibility issues. It's currently the MVP 2013 Summit. I'll try to get this to the IE Team at MS after the MVP Summit as many key Team members will be in attendance.

18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

From what I can gather reading on other sites IE 11 for Win 7 has a whole shed load of problems, especially on YouTube. I'm glad I rolled back to IE 10.

19. Phant0m

Daveski17, not everything is black and white. We can expect to have many problems with sites visually or functionality when using IE11 with the major enhancements. These changes IE11 now introduces should have been done way back several versions ago. After webmasters makes necessary changes to the sites, and from then on making, updating sites for the various browsers including IE should be much less time-consuming and painful experience.

Not everything is black and white, listening to my own words... The Youtube issues might be directly a fault of the IE11 browser. Might be something Microsoft needs to address. However, if I disable Adobe flash and visit Youtube, no problems. Enable adobe flash and visit Youtube, site freezes. Uninstall Adobe flash, no problems. Visit http://www.youtube.com/html5 and specify HTML5 player, and go back to playing on Youtube, no problems. Exit out of the browser and re-open it and explore to Youtube, no problem. Unless you clear I think the the used cookie and visit back to Youtube.

20. Daveski17

Yes, I understand your point & agree. It's just that I would have thought that MS would have tested all of these combinations &/or given websites ample warning or time to discover & amend compatibility issues. I rarely seem to see these problems with major upgrades of SeaMonkey & Maxthon, neither of which are 'mainstream' browsers.

21. Phant0m

Yes but IE11 while not officially released for mainstream till just recently.. there were releases and developer releases dating wayyyyyy-back. It isn't Microsoft's fault that webmasters chooses to put things off until the last minute or until users discover these problems and reports these.

Regarding third-party browsers, which have always been quick to maintain, update the various engines they used. Microsoft IE was so far behind, and to make things worse, used language specific to IE browsers unlike third-party browsers using universal language.

That being said .. understandably these third-party 'major' updates wouldn't have dished out all sorts of visual and functionality issues.

22. Daveski17

Maybe not. It must be a headache for those who use IE regularly though.

Good point.

23. Phant0m

I imagine it can be, especially for those who are in a business and uses IE as a primary browser. Since IE introduced Compatibility Mode, there was only a small number of sites I needed to add. But they didn't need to be in for very long. Currently there is nothing in this list.

This IE11 freeze when on Youtube, the Compatibility Mode wouldn't work. It is the IE plugin that ultimately doesn't play nice. The transaction-based sites another mentions, compatibility mode may address unless Flash is at play there too.

24. Phant0m

I uninstalled Flash, and visited Youtube. The problem still exists but I had to move deeper on the Youtube site. With Flash installed it usually happens 30secs-1min in on the first page. I don't have many IE plugins installed, but I have a feeling none is the culprit here. Also Internet Explorer application shouldn't be crashing anyways. :'(

25. stackz

stackz Registered Member

The easiest way to avoid any freezes with YouTube is go to Safety -> click/enable 'ActiveX Filtering'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.