Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niki

niki Registered Member

Thank you! :thumb:

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

IE 11 fully supports current TPL's.

Attached Files:

3. niki

niki Registered Member

siljaline, your TPL's are the same ones I have. Thank you! I'll just wait with downloading IE11 until it presents itself with a Windows Update. Just don't want it with the extras that it comes with such as Bing etc.

4. siljaline

Everyone that is now running IE 11 are probably drawing a sigh of relief that the current TPL's still work and update as they did.

For those waiting to update IE via Windows Update should clearly opt-out of BING and MSN offers for the Browser, unless you want them.

5. siljaline

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Via http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/internet-explorer/download-ie I was able to opt-out of Bing and MSN. ;)

7. niki

niki Registered Member

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I got 11 via Windows update today. First installation on my netbook failed with error message but I did not look at it. I selected retry and second attempt was successful.

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Trying again didn´t work for me. To solve the problem, I followed the procedure described here (post #3): https://www.wilderssecurity.com./showthread.php?t=355783

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It installed with no problems. Seems OK. I just doubt I'll ever use it though.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I finally got it to install when I figured out that I had to choose 64x English. Why is it any other browser installs in a click? :p

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Internet Explorer is far more deeply integrated within Windows than other browsers. Therefore, it cannot complete all changes while Windows is running.

13. Phant0m

For those who are unable to install IE11 via Windows Updates, and before trying different things. Simply download IE11 from the site manually and install, this worked already on some machines.

@twl845. So far whenever I upgraded Internet Explorer via MS IE download site for x64 system, it automatically detected the correct package for me to download and install. Are you downloading MS IE from third-party browser? Or with browser using plug-ins that’s potentially filtering undesirably?

Yes. J_L knows it. You cannot expect any Internet Explorer installs to be completely made without re-booting for the reason giving. This very reason even if you don't use IE, but lot of third-party software makes use of IE resources in some manner that isn't so obvious to many. Just because IE screen doesn't appear or IE processor isn't seen in Task Manager when you using various third-party software doesn't mean IE resources isn't used. ;)

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Phantom - I downloaded the .exe file from Windows Update and started the installation. It wouldn't complete. So following the instructions that were automatically downloaded to my desktop, I went to a link that gives you a choice of language and system, and clicked install. It then completed the installation followed by a restart. :cool:

15. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The two procedures are equivalent. IE 11 installs as an update in both cases, appears in "Installed Updates", and can be uninstalled from there.

16. Phant0m

Just because the end results adds an entry in the 'Installed Updates' list and offer uninstallation doesn't mean the two procedures are equivalent.

I've already seen three machines where IE11 via Windows Updates would persistently fail to install, yet downloading manually the package from the IE website would swiftly install without error.

17. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

IE11 Automatically Makes Over 40% of the Web More Secure While Making Sure Sites Work

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...while-making-sure-sites-continue-to-work.aspx

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  18. Daveski17

Where are my gadgets? :mad: ... Back to IE 10 & SeaMonkey as my default then Mickeysoft!

19. Phant0m

Windows Sidebar Gadgets?

20. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I have a few Gadgets and still have IE9 which i don't use.

21. Daveski17

Yeah, I never use IE anyway. I can't see the security advantage with IE 11 on Win 7 anyway. My default browser is SeaMonkey with NoScript. I like my gadgets. I doubt they are that much of a security risk.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just updated via Win Updates today, everything went fine. I don't usually use IE, but I thought I'd try it for a while and see how it goes... But no problems installing, etc...

23. Thanks for the picture, naming of the list completely put me on the wrong foot (thought it was tracking cookie blocklist in stead of ad block list)

Attached Files:

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just wondering why IE never offered themes. It's always the same tired looking for lack of a better word, "theme". Every other browser like, Fox, Chrome, Cyberfox, Opera, etc. offers different themes. IE's GUI isn't even a theme. :p

25. Daveski17

Oddly, Maxthon 3 used to have an IE 6 & an IE 8 theme. It looked almost exactly like IE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.