Internet Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by macdon, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macdon

macdon Registered Member

o_O When I turn my computer on the MSN sign in window always comes up. I know how to fix that by going to Internet Properties/Connection and choose Never Dial a Connection. But it will not stay checked, next time I turn the computer on MSN comes up again. It keeps going back to Dial whenever a network connection is not present. I contacted MSN and they told me it was possible that my browser had malfunctioned and needed repair. Then they gave instructions on how to repair it but you have to have your Windows XP CD, which I don't. It was pre-installed in my computer. MSN told me to contact my manufacturer, but HP has absolutely no tech help. So, can any of you computer junkies out there explain to me in detail another way to fix this without the CD? Hopefully! o_O

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Have you tried making modifications and applying after exiting out of all 3rd party Software? And before you attempt to make Internet Connection? Have you tried upgrading IE?

3. macdon

macdon Registered Member

I have IE6 and I don't think there is an update. But maybe I should check that out. I have changed the setting in Internet Options dozens of times. Every time I turn the computer off and back on, the setting went back to Dial whenever a network conncection is not present. And as soon as the computer is booted up, the MSN Sign in window comes up. I always click OK and Apply. But that setting is the only one I have tried. I don't know of any others to try. If you know of any, could you please tell me? Thanks....

4. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

^^^I'm also having the EXACT same problem and it's starting to tick me off. Does anyone have a solution to this because the idiots at MSN Tech Support have no friggin' clue. Thanks.

5. Phant0m

If its not much trouble can I see an image what you guys in reference too exactly?

6. macdon

macdon Registered Member

:mad: I haven't a clue of how to show you the MSN sign in screen. It is the MSN sign in window. MSN told me that my browser had experienced a malfuncion and needed to be repaired. Some components of IE may be corrupted and this may cause the issue. IE and MSN Explorer share components. I have XP and MSN gave me instructions on how to repair it, but I need the XP CD, which I don't have. Then they told me to try my OEM manufacturer (HP) which don't have a very good "help" system. I clean my computer of any garbage with ad aware, search and destroy, etc. every evening before I turn it off. And just before I turn it off I go to Internet Options and recheck the Never Dial a Connection, but some little elf inside my computer during the night changes it back to Dial whenever a network connection is not present. So, when I turn the computer on the next day, the MSN sign in window is there.

I checked and I can't upddate my IE as it is the latest version. :'(

7. Phant0m

Go to Windows Components Wizard and uncheck Internet Explorer and click Next button…

Afterwards visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp and download ie6setup.exe and execute and follow the setup.

Attached Files:

8. macdon

macdon Registered Member

I had checked on Windows XP tech help and it said if I had installed SP1, I didn't need to download the ESP1 because it was included in SP1. So, should I go ahead and follow your instructions and will I have any problem with MSN Explorer if I remove IE? I want to make sure I don't do something "wrong"! If you say go ahead, I will. Thanks and I do apprecaite your help...And I am glad to know I am not the only one that is having this problem!

9. macdon

macdon Registered Member

Just noticed an error in my last post. Sorry, it is not ESP1, it is IE sp1. sorry about that....

10. Sumire

Sumire Registered Member

11. macdon

macdon Registered Member

Birdman, are still having the problem of the sign in window coming up all the time! :mad: I got mine fixed, so post and let me know, and I can post the directions I got from MSN that finally worked. And it is easy.... :D

12. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Hi Macdon...share the knowledge my brother!!! ;) This thing is still driving me crazy!!! Let me know. thanks.

13. macdon

macdon Registered Member

:mad: Well, I am sorry to say when I turned the computer on this morning, my sign in window came up, AGAIN! :'( I have e-mailed MSN about 5 times and get different "help" from every one. What I thought was the fix was to refresh the corrupted dialing credentials. which I did, then rebooted and it wasn't there, so figured that was the fix. But, as I said it was back this morn. so I e-mailed them AGAIN and got a new answer.

Todays instructions were to update my modem drive and install the newest version of Internet Explorer, but I already have the lastest version and the IE website says if you have Windows XP SP1 you already have the most recent version.....

So, I don't know exactly what I will do. I am afraid if I start downloading "stuff" I may screw up the computer. I have been known to do that!

Plus, I have been told to do so many different things and none have helped that I am sceptical....If you get any new suggestions, please post so I can check into that.

What has MSN told you to do about this matter? I guess we can live with it, but I don't want to....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.