internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Goodie, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodie

Goodie Registered Member

hi there, ive been reccomended this forum for help, was told there are allot of knowledgable people who are always happy to help.

I am trying to set up a network with 2 computers on it, using a hub. i have an adsl modem which is linked through usb. everything is now in place, and the connection was shared through the both computers. but after reboot the second computer doesnt recognise the connection at all anymore. we only have one network card in both computers, but i have read somewhere that you need two in the main computer? if that is so then i dont understand how the connection did work the one time?

as you can see i am not the cleverest computer when it comes to computers ;)

Thanks allot,
    Goodie

2. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Don´t know if this works for every ADSL modem, but it should give you at least some useful information: http://www.weethet.nl/english/adsl_mxstream_pcs.php

3. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Goodie & Welcome to the Wilders Forum! :D

How does your connection look like: One computer has the modem connected and is linked to the hub, and the other computer is only linked to the hub? Which OS do you have on both computers -Windows 98, 2k or XP?

Please give us more information, so that we can help you more precisely! ;)

Best regards,

Patrice

4. Goodie

Goodie Registered Member

thanks for the info metallica. :)

hi patrice, the modem is connected into one computer and then that computer is connected to the hub, which in turn is connected to the second computer. The main computer (which has the modem directly connected into it) is slightly more powerfull, running an athalon 800 and it is running ME, the second computer is an athalon 750 (or 700, not exaclty sure) and its os is win98 (first edition). like i say we had the shared connection working temporarely last night but then after the second computer was rebooted it did get the connection, it is both computers are shown on the hub but just no shared connection. any more information that may help?

Cheers
    Goodie

5. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm Goodie hasn't replied yet but as the person who recommended the forum to him I felt I would step in and say he doesn't have AOL (he's in Great Britain)

7. Goodie

Goodie Registered Member

hey patrice,
    my internet is provided by btinternet, information i have read before says there should be two network cards in the main computer, but i wasnt sure if it was really necessary being for the fact that it did work once before. Guess ill try using another network card. or a better hub or router. Thanks for the help ppl :)

8. root

root Registered Member

One of my favorite sites for networking is Practical Networked.
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    Also since ICS can be flakey on Win98, you might give Proxy at analogx.com a try. It is a small free proxy program used for simple ICS and works well for many people.
    As for the network cards, actually you have three. The card that is hooked to the modem is your Wide Area Network, and each computer has a network card for your Local Area Network.
    Also, if you use a firewall, it could be interfering with your ICS if it is not allowing it. If you use a firewall, it is best to get your file and print sharing and ICS setup without the firewall running. Then after everything is working, you fire up the firewall and see if you have to make more rules for your network.

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.