Internal Hard Drives-Malware Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have multiple internal SATA hard drives for each of my PC's.

Are there ways to protect the Non-System partitions/drives from Malware which may infect the System Partition?

It is my understanding that some Malware will infect other partitions/drives.

I am considering the possibility of moving the Non-System internal hard drives to a multi-drive external enclosure. When I am not backing up files, I would shut down the external enclosure.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

2. x942

x942 Guest

Not 100% sure what you are looking for but If you keep malware off the system you will be fine. You could run an AV Scan of the HDD after mount/before eject. or better yet use a linux live CD to move the files over so even if the System is infected while in the Linux environment you will be safe.

My suggestion is this:

if you are already infected:
    1) Grab a copy of F-secure live AV (or any live AV of choice) scan the non-system drive and optionally scan the System drive. Remove/Repair any infections.
    2) Grab a copy of ANY linux live CD (puppy is a small 40 meg or so distro) boot from it and begin coping over files.
    3)Rescan your Non-system drive from either live CD or Windows.

If you are NOT infected:
    1) Boot from live CD and copy files
    OR
    2) Scan System and non-system drives first to be safe and than copy files over and optionally scan again.

If you are not infected you shouldn't worry about it. If you are meaning how to prevent malware from spreading to a non-system drive in the event your are infected use something like Comodo or sandboxie and specify it as a "protected" area. you could even mark it as read only when not backing up.

Hope this helps :) Sorry if I misunderstood
    x942

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.