Internal Error:No of Copied Sectors Differ from Counted

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Alwill, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

Although having TI 8 for some time and creating many drive images, yesterday was the first occasion on which I attempted a restore (from a second internal hard drive). Kicked off within Windows and after rebooting and proceeding through ‘Acronis Loader’ all seemed to progress well with 6 minutes shown for the 5 GB Boot (C) partition image restore.

However, at the completion of the restore an error message appeared advising “Internal Error: Number of copied sectors differ from counted”. Using rescue media I ran another restore using the same drive image only this time TI was showing unallocated space as the restore target (C partition having been deleted because of the failed restore). This time the restore was successful.

In trying to determine the reason for the sector variation giving rise to the initial restore failure, I have been wondering whether Norton GoBack which I also have, may have been the cause of the problem. When creating images within Windows there is no need to disable GoBack and so this program’s history log (gobackio.bin) is present in the root directory when an image is created. However, when restoring an image GoBack must be disabled and during this process the history log is deleted. Consequently, TI’s analyses of Partition C made firstly when imaging and secondly when restoring would possibly reflect this change.

I know that TI creates images sector-by-sector and not on a folder/file basis but a variation of 3 GB (being the space I have allocated GoBack’s history log) surely could not go undetected irrespective of the method used in the image creation. I am therefore considering the desirability of also disabling GoBack when creating images which will be an inconvenience but preferable to encountering trouble when doing a TI restore.

I would be grateful for any comments.

Alan

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Alwill,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, the problem might have been caused by Norton GoBack or some other application that requires the exclusive access to the hard drive or makes some major changes to the partition structure. The problem might also have been caused by some minor errors presenting on your hard drive.

However, it is really hard to figure out what was the actual reason of the problem, since you have already restored your image and as I understand everything works fine now.

The only thing I can recommend you is to make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please let me know if the problem will appear again or if you want us to investigate the problem (requires reproducing).

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

Thank you Alexey for your reply.

I have all the Build install files from 800 through to 937 but have elected to stick with 826 as I have found it to be stable and trouble-free.

I will certainly let you know if the problem arises again.

Regards

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.