interface of 3.0 better than 4.0 beta

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by wiak, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

looking at the screenshots I think I like the new interface better.
    clean, light and modern. more vista/windows 7 like.
    maybe you guys just feel nostalgia if you say even nod32 2.0 ui is better looking :)

3. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

"The new systray icon is rather awful"

Not at all !!! Particularly from Eset Smart Security.

4. wiak

wiak Registered Member

well i say 3.0 is better than 4.0 interface design wise to integrate with Vista/7

5. dazulrich

dazulrich Registered Member

Is the UI really that important to you?

Sure its nice to have perfect UI, but its not a UI you look at all day everyday drooling...

If NOD32 v4 is doing its job properly, I hope I hardly ever need to look at the interface other than for scan results. And when I do need to otherwise, I'm probably more concerned with the problem presented and it's possible causes.

I'm sure fine tuning the color scheme will happen and maybe reducing the real estate used by the outer border ( with graphic and Esest nod32 v4.) but not because it's "ugly", but it leaves less room for the main info panes.... it looks more squashed than in v3.

6. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

i agree that GUI is not the most important part of any software but this is topic about the interface. so lets talk about interfaces. not what is more important.

7. BedreAntivirus

BedreAntivirus Registered Member

the interface dosnt look ugly but its diffrent from 3.0 anyway 3.0 beta was alot diffrent from stable to :)
    i do like the new stats and stuff in 4.0 and Eset SysRescue!

8. dazulrich

dazulrich Registered Member

Sure lets talk about - but keeping in mind it's not the most important feature of an AV product.....

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't care if the GUI is in black and white with an arial font. Just make it stable, easy to use, and reliable. :isay:

10. wiak

wiak Registered Member

true :p

11. JuliusB

I disagree. Don't get me wrong, but usually only for "geeks" UI looks are not important at all.
    For a mainstream product they are important and for me I like good looking UI better to. That with functionality and effectiveness combined of course.

12. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

"For a mainstream product they are important and for me I like good looking UI better to. That with functionality and effectiveness combined of course."

Thank you :thumb:

13. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Sugestion:

possiible skinable version home edition :) not business edition.

Right?

14. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I actually like the v4 interface rather than the v3. The new interface looks more sophisticated than the old one.

15. nodyforever

I agree.

_________________ //___________

@ALL PEOPLE

Skin not appear version final discussion unnecessary :cool: :D :ninja:

16. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I personally like the v2.7 interface the best. It wasn't fully of pastel colors, gradients, pretty pictures and animations.
    Nothing against the v3 or new beta GUI.

The more graphics and colors that are in the GUI, the more resources it takes to display them.

Overdoing the GUI is one reason I stopped using other products so many years ago and became a reseller for Eset. Every version it seemed, the graphics and pictures became more intense and it took longer and longer just to load the menus. I'd rather have a basic interface like 2.7 and be able to fly through the configuration quickly, than to have a colorful 3D looking interface and it takes forever to display.

Some people have commented to me about how old the GUI's look in my software, but you know what, there is no loading time for anything in my software. You click something, it shows up immediately. I could spend lots of time redesigning the GUI's to make them look more Fisher Price like Vista, but it would run slower and take more resources just to use it. No thanks.

17. nodyforever

I fully agree:) GUI v2.7 is the best we can have now with the same simplicity of v3 and 4 would be useful for creating a pleasant work environment.

Most regards,
    NF

18. JuliusB

I disagree again. don't get me wrong, but you sound like "old breed" :)
    come on, times change. graphics in NOD32 3 and 4(as dar as I see now)GUI is minimal and doesn't slow down AT ALL it's click, open, click, open.
    come on, do you want everything to be terminal console basedo_O?
    nice easy to use interface adds a very nice touch to the final look of the program.

19. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I agree with you.

On my setup currently v2's GUI takes just a few Kb of the memory
    v3 - about 1 Mb . The GUI of v4 beta takes about 5 Mbs.

20. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I'm not exactly an "old breed" in the IT field, but I've been at it awhile and I still prefer basic interfaces to graphic laden systems. Every one of my systems running XP has it set back to the classic interface. I don't allow Vista on any of my systems because its a huge pile. I would be happy keep all Windows GUI layouts to look like Win2K. ;)

Also, the "nice easy to use interface...", comment, well v2.7 was nice and easy to use for a lot of us. From install to finish configuration settings, I could be done with a clients system in under 5 minutes with the old interface. It takes awhile longer now.

Pretty buttons and animations do not equal "easy to use" in my book. Easy to use, is being able to do everything via the keyboard and not have to touch the mouse at all, but not all software is designed that way, so having very easy to navigate menus and configuration tabs is key to fast implementation.

21. JuliusB

Oh come on....jeeez.....5MB.....how much RAM do you haveo_O 32MB SDRAM?

22. JuliusB

Win2K? just how much more boring it can geto_O?
    btw vista interface does not lag at all and whole os works faster than xp and it's a known fact. unless your pc is very old...the, yes, xp is better.
    otherwise vista or wait for windows 7 with less resource usage if your pc is older...like 2yrs or more old maybe.

23. Capp

Capp Registered Member

That's not the point he is making.
    If I have a program that works perfectly and uses less than 1mb of RAM, why would I want to increase that to 5x what it was using?

Also, some people do run their systems on the bare minimum requirements, so keeping it down as low as possible is best.

24. nodyforever

Hello,

It would also be the funny "egui.exe" not consume 7MB

Times change but it is true .... but like a simple GUI and that consumes little and do not freeze

The GUI may be linked to the high consumption of emulation of AH when we scan?

Most Reagrds,
    NF

25. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.