Interesting read on the evercookie!

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ratchet, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What joy. All the more reason to browse sandboxed or in a virtual session.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

4. katio

katio Guest

Also in reply to stuff posted here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=282702

Using Firefox 3.6.10
    Is it just me or does this not work at all when you simply disable http cookies in the browser preferences. Only when I enable them other cookies are being set as well.

In about:config: disabling dom.storage blocks the 3 html5 storage cookies, disabling all three caches blocks the png cookie (type cache*enable into the search bar). The history CSS attack/vuln/feature has been plugged in Firefox. LSO can be blocked by symlinking the appropriate dirs to /dev/null or setting the permissions/ACLs to read only. Silverlight, anyone using it? Yeah, thought so.
    Or ctrl-shift+del does the trick too. Or NoScript.

No need for a VM. IF you know all this it's really not scary and a non-issue. Admittedly a big IF for a lot of netizens. Or maybe they are using a browser that doesn't give them full control :/

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I use Sandboxie and Returnil. But I do have an external hard drive that stays connected most of the time. I wonder how dangerous that is? I download a lot and save lots of stuff. Can these cookies install on an external HD?

6. katio

katio Guest

No...

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thanks. I am so glad to here.

8. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Why not? What prevents the script from writing to any available drive?

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Not a cookie issue, but one you should should be aware of since you use external drives. One piece of very sophisticated malware that will get you in a heartbeat (and sometimes not know for days) is SALITY. The W32/Sality variants hide the entry point, disables task manager and infects ALL .exe and .scr files. All of them - across partitions and attached drives. It's often found in cracks and shady software and most often uses .dll exploits, but was recently dropped by infection through a simple visit, at the right time, to The Pirate Bay. Some have suggested using fixed drive letters deep into the alphabet and not use e-j as some of the Sality's only infected drives up to 'J'. Why? Who knows? This is one nasty mutating trojan - one of the worst I've ever seen.

Here's Microsoft's MPC encyclopedia entry for Win32/Sality:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32/Sality

10. katio

katio Guest

Do you know how Javascript works? Or browsers?
    Have a look at the code if you don't believe me, it's open source after all.
    Bottom line: Cookies are only stored and read from a handful places, all residing in the user's directory. Secondly the browser itself is preventing Javascript from doing anything nasty.

In order to do what you are suggesting one needs to exploit an unpatched vulnerability in the browser, not an easy task and certainly illegal.Do you think any legitimate site would resort to such tactics? Evercookie on the other hand is greyware at worst.

11. JuanP1000

JuanP1000 Registered Member

GesWall+IE8 could stop evercookie?

12. katio

katio Guest

I'm not sure if GesWall does prevent anything. I do not use it but if I understand it correctly it's an IDS. However evercookie is not malicious and does not constitute a "intrusion" of any kind. All it does is it uses several different browser "features" in a clever way.

IE8 can be configured to stop evercookie from working, for example by simply disabling and whitelisting javascript per domain. From my testing on Firefox simply blocking (and whitelisting) cookies alone does the trick too.
    Deleting private data should* get rid of all "cookies" except LSO which has to be cleared in it's own settings (right click on any flash object and select settings) or by hand in Windows Explorer (in %APPDATA%\Macromedia).

*Simple to test but I'm currently on Linux.

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, but not in Firefox 4. It also not really a vulnerability but a feature(giving visited links another color)which can be abused. At first because of this Mozilla wouldn't change it, but in the end they choose safety over functionality and disabled it by default. However, I saw in FF4 beta 6(only beta version I've tried btw) that it is enabled again. You can disable it in about:config by turning layout.css.visited_links_enabled to false.

14. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I guess not. It,s not its job.

16. fsr

fsr Registered Member

Pfffffffffff....

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be SBIE can.

And probabaly Geswll too after some custom rules but I am not sure.

19. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

So simply clearing all cache and history info in firefox, while using CCleaner removes are traces of the evercookie?

I did that, and I tried to recover the cookie, and all I got was "uid = null" this means that all the cookies were deleted, right?

20. katio

katio Guest

That's correct, all cookies are deleted and the ID is gone. However there appears to be a trace left because for some reason when cleaning the cookies some don't get erased but overwritten with zero or something, hence the "null". But nothing to worry, it obviously can't be used to identify you anymore.

21. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

From what I read on the website, the "null values" are from HTML5 Session storage and HTML5 local storage. Where can i delete these manually?

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I think Firefox has an extension called SQLite Manager that allows one to view all SQLite databases and even edit them.

As with all extensions, caveat emptor.

23. BoerenkoolMetWorst

It seems the evercookie has more methods and the number is still growing.
    Original list:
    - Standard HTTP Cookies
    - Local Shared Objects (Flash Cookies)
    - Storing cookies in RGB values of auto-generated, force-cached
    PNGs using HTML5 Canvas tag to read pixels (cookies) back out
    - Storing cookies in Web History (seriously. see FAQ)
    - HTML5 Session Storage
    - HTML5 Local Storage
    - HTML5 Global Storage
    - HTML5 Database Storage via SQLite

Now these are also on the list:
    - Silverlight Isolated Storage
    - Storing cookies in HTTP ETags
    - Storing cookies in Web cache
    - window.name caching
    - Internet Explorer userData storage

And there are also future plans for adding these two:
    - Caching in HTTP Authentication
    - Using Java to produce a unique key based off of NIC info

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Thanks, that gives a good explanation of the various methods of the evercookie and how to stop it :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.