Interesting image size?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Azdon, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

SeekForever,
    If I understand you, the image size relates to what was mirrored. Since I can see the files on the 'C' partition when I mount the image I conclude that it mirrored the 12GB portion of used space on that partition, not the free space. Who knows what it did with the 'hidden' partition space. ie, if TI erroniously backed up the 'free' 19GB space on the 'c' partition would't it appear blank when exploring the mounted image? Or did I misunderstand you?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My comment about it backing up the free space instead of the used space was more of a joke than anything. However, I do wonder if the 23Gb number it reports is because it is confused and has tabulated free space instead of used space. But like I said above, I am just guessing wildly at what happened. I have never had anything like that show up before but my disk layout isn't the same as yours either.

3. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

Thanks SeekForever,
    I wonder why no one from Acronis has chimed in on this. From the replies I've gotton it seems like an issue they would have an interest in. I did write them an email referencing this thread. Do you think this is nothing to worry about?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I too am interested in what Acronis can come up with. My particular concern is the red circle with a white cross which appears in the yellow bar above the C drive in the mount image wizard. ASFAIK this is an error notification and can be due to I/O errors amongst other things.

Xpilot

5. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

If Acronis ever responds I will report back.

6. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

OK, this is getting more interesting: I just did two more full back-ups.
    One of just the 'hidden' partition (6 GB, 3.7 used). Image size=3.13 GB.
    The other of just the 'C' partition (31 GB, 12 GB used). Image size=7.75 GB.

Recall that full image of this disk with both partitions was 37GB (12 used ON 'C' + 3.7 used on 'hidden'). Image size=23 GIGs

Also for Xpilot, the red circle with the cross in it is NOT present in the individual partition images when mounting.

7. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

Well, the problem is gone. I backed-up the entire disk again, both partitions, and like the 1st time all completed well. The difference is that THIS time the image size is 10.9 GB like it should be. XPilot, the red circle with the cross is NOT there either.
    I have no clue what went wrong but it looks right now. Maybe Acronis will eventually comment. In the meantime, thanks to everyone who took the time to read all my posts and responded.
    Don

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I think this shows that you certainly did the right thing by questioning why it didn't make sense rather than ignoring what appeared to be a trivial problem. I would guess your original wrong-size archive is useless. The red-circle is indeed troublesome especially if there was no message indicating a problem.

9. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

Thanks, and thanks for everyone's thoughts. It just didn't make sense. I still hope Acronis will shed some light on this. The red circle is, I suspect, the indicator that something was wrong, but nowhere in the Users Guide, or anywhere else, does it make reference to it. Thanks to Xpilot for noticing it. The 23 GB image verified fine, but it is deleted now.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Azdon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the white cross in the red circle shows that there might be some errors with the file system on the drive C. In case with corrupted file system Acronis True Image 9.0 Home cannot identify the file system properly and it simply creates an exact image of every sector on the disk. As a result, this image will be equal in size to the disk being imaged.

If you would like to incestigate this issue create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected file along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with the solution.

The FAT partition you mentioned is EISA partition, which is a special service hidden partition. I'm afraid that this type of partitions can not be explored, so I recommend you to select the "Do not mount" option for it when you exploring your image.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.