Interesting Emsisoft Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeNash, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree, but if a software is failing due to published tests showing it is crap, then heads do roll. So all tests need to be very accurate or yes, you could be messing with someones future.

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yes - we're working with Emsisoft - I've previously announced this here and even issued press releases to that effect. It's not a secret.

There has been a lot of discussion here about the new Comodo AV. This test contains Comodo (which does surprisingly well) and I thought that folks here would be interested in the results.

It seems I managed to avoid generating yet another OA vs CIS thread, but instead created an everyone versus everything thread instead...

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Did I read well!? :rolleyes:

4. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Mike, many are unfamiliar with those press releases, including myself. Hence, full disclosure is kindly appreciated :).

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Honestly, I purchased both Malwarebytes and Superantispyware a while ago just because you both have good atitudes have good support and generally work quitely in the background like a good company should.

Also RubbeR DuckY while your here make an auto-updater for malwarebytes it would help.

6. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Ok, so what is going to be done in removing SUPERAntiSpyware and MBAM from those results - that test is an absolute fake - essentially defaming SUPERAntiSpyware and MBAM - you know full well our products work very well - remember before A2 you and I had conversations about licensing.

12. Taliscicero

I want to see a SAS + MBAM aliance, Develop a security suite and i'm sure it would be a gigantic contender both engine + A new AV engine would be something that most people would buy because more people then ever are more interested (Antispy>Antivirus) Because of cyber crime.

You guys already seem friendly. Just throwing it out there :D

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

It's a great idea because both SAS and MBAM have different strengths.

14. Taliscicero

Indeed i want to see it, I can tell you now. I would buy it.

15. andyman35

Looks like you might have started something very interesting there.;)

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Nick,

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I am responsible for these results. The person you need to talk to here is Christian Mairoll at Emsisoft.

If you believe the tests are fake - take it up with them. I've explained why I posted the test, and I'm not going to get caught up in an inter-vendor pissing contest.

As for the licening question - yes, we did have conversations about it. As I recall, we reached agreement in principle in fact and it looked promising - but then I gave up on the idea and decided to scrap the idea of adding your product and stick with Kaspersky.

To avoid any misunderstanding - the reasons why we stopped our discussions with Nick were not in any way product related. I don't have any axe to grind with Nick or the MBAM guys (in fact this sad little thread is my first interaction with MBAM)

Mike

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

18. andyman35

19. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

LOL a-squared.. if emsisoft was to be in a av comparatives test they wouldn't even get award because of all the false positives. With ikarus the detection rate went higher, but remember when emsisoft didn't have the ikarus engine the detection rate was low, slow, memory hog.

20. arran

arran Registered Member

just like sandboxie in your sig which is also snake oil

21. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thanks for that great bit of advice arran.

After several years of using Sandboxie and testing a few gig of malware samples with only a minor quirk here and there I will get rid of it completely.

Like eff I will, Sandboxie is one of if not the best security app ever created! :thumb:

22. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I'm sorry but this thread has turned into a brawl with everyone throwing punches at each other. Let's try stick to the topic here as we all want this issue sorted out, and we don't want the thread to be closed because as far as I can tell everyone wants to discuss this further :)

Now I may be young, but I have learned this in life so far...

1)Making friends and becoming stronger together will break down any foolish thing that comes in your way.
    2)As well as rectifying your mistakes, everyone deserves a second chance. But if that chance is not used that is the bad luck of the person(or company in this case).
    3)People have a right to express their own opinions without everyone else bringing hell down on them.

So please let's all take a chill :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  23. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Nothing like a bit of a punch-up every now and then to clear the air. ;)

And if you may discern that I get a tad shirty when anyone craps on Sandboxie then all I can say is "too bloody right I do". :D

24. progress

progress Guest

No sandboxie rubbish please, you can talk about sandboxie here! Back to topic ;)

Edit: What about MBAM and FP?

Don't get me wrong, I use both tools (A2 / MBAM) ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  25. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Funny to see all the bashing early in the morning, wilders will never change.. ;)

Why don't you simply read the WHOLE text on the test page?

- It's clearly stated that this test doesn't say anything about a-squared's scanning capabilities because we used our own samples. In this view, Avira is the clear 'winner' and MBAM is the clear loser because they were not able to manage signature creation for more than 39,000 malwares in the wild. As said before, even I didn't know that MBAM are meant to detect ONLY active malware. Their website doesn't tell anything about it - it's sold like all other antivirus tools and as a first time visitor I'd believe that too. MBAM: Tell your customers the truth about your software abilities and we would start recommending it as a great addition to a-squared!

- It's clearly stated that this test is just a scanner and update speed test, not an overall security test. So why bash on it? Check out the results and make your own opinion about the tested things (and not about other things that are not part of this test!). Maybe we'll test the execution/blocking capabilities in the future.

- It's clearly stated that we used malware samples that we have got in our analysis dpt during April 1 and April 15. That means ALL samples. Not a special set that prefers a specific vendor. Just all, except those files that are spread by virustotal and jotti because it would simply blow up the test test unnecessarily. It is absolutely normal that signatures change within 3 weeks. Some files are shared malware files, some are FPs and some can not be considered as malicious enough to keep them in detection - that's why a-squared didn't reach the 100%. But keep in mind: Files that we don't detect any longer are still detected by others which helps them to get higher detection rate. I'd love to see the same type of test of all other vendors!

To make the test methodology more transparent, I can provide file hash lists to all tested vendors. Just send me a PM.

Regarding a-squared false positives: In early versions, we had a lot - true. No wonder - the Ikarus engine was made for the Austrian market only. They simply didn't get international feedback about FPs. That has changed since we partner with Ikarus. The latest independent test of av-test.org (published in the German ComputerBild magazine) showed that a-squared has less FPs than Kaspersky.

Guys, do me a favor and stop repeating old impressions over and over. Before bashing, give it a chance and re-run our current scanner and compare with the others. FPs are a major problem for all antivirus vendors in the meantime, not only for us. For sure there are FPs, daily, but they're fixed quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.