Interesting AntiRansomware freeware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Windows_Security, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I guess we are talking semantics here. I guess by definition it succeeded in preventing encryption, but it's use with that malware, caused a trashed machine. That, at least for me is the bottom line. I want to give it another test, but would have to use the pro version. I couldn't find a trial, is there one?

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I really like this approach to thinking and respect the value that this represents. We all have different methodologies to our security setups with a great number of variables and it is that variety of choice that I enjoy the most. And while we may not always agree with everyone's choice of methodology or security setups in general, I think that from a community perspective we must respect everyone's opinions. :thumb:

3. Well this started as a thank you and not as a "thou shall use this combination", next focused on other second line defense mechanisms like behavioral blockers (available as FREE in AVG which Rezjor is very enthousiastic about its ransomware stopping capabilities), now turns into freedom of speech celebration.

Freedom of speech is such a great good and a superb closing line for this thread :thumb: :blink:

4. itman

itman Registered Member

Reviewing AppCheck Pro's documentation, the only documentation provided in English, the software's core protection is the "Bleeding Edge Context Aware Engine" which they also use the acronym of CARB engine to refer to.

Per Wiikipedia:

Bleeding edge technology is a category of technologies so new that they could have a high risk of being unreliable and lead adopters to incur greater expense in order to make use of them.[1][2] The term bleeding edge was formed as an allusion to the similar terms "leading edge" and "cutting edge". It tends to imply even greater advancement, albeit at an increased risk because of the unreliability of the software or hardware.[3]

Ref.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_edge_technology

5. boredog

boredog Registered Member

can someone confirm this appcheck won't install in shadow mode. just wondering if it is just my computer or not?

6. OverDivine

OverDivine Registered Member

i guess that's better than "Nitro-enhanced protection" , " absolute security and uncompromising performance" , "averting damages of over 600€ per attack" , "ultimate weapon" or "ultimate protection".

7. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Works OK here
    Also seems that the Pro version will protect the MBR among other extra's

Attached Files:

8. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

It will be interesting to know what the price will be once its goes mainstream in the market.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

They still working on preparations for International exposure, one representative/developer told me via email (Ikko from CheckMal). Once they are ready they will let us know the new website and prices for international customers.

10. guest

guest Guest

Did they tell you more or less when this will happen?

11. itman

itman Registered Member

One other point that hasn't been mentioned about this dual Cisco MBR + AppCheck combo.

It does nothing to protect the drive's Master File Table(MFT). There has been a least one strain of ransomware that targeted the MFT and its mirror backup file. If the MFT is corrupted in any way, none of your files on that drive are accessible. Therefore, your best overall mitigation strategy is to do periodic image backups.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

No, not at all. But how long it would take to set up a new international website, designs, translating to English, etc. just by one person, Ikko in this case.

13. boredog

dark star did you set it up while in shadow mode with shadow defender?

14. Dark Star 72

Yes. Entered Shadow Mode and then ran the AppCheck installer. No problems at all.

15. boredog

dark star windows 10?

16. Dark Star 72

Windows 7 sp1 x64

17. boredog

o_Oappears I can not even install anything when not in shadow mode. locks up windows explorer . I don't feel like restoring an image for that just yet.

18. guest

guest Guest

It can be a problem with Smart Screen on your system, disable it and try it again.

19. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

@boredog:
    "Malwarebytes Premium, AdGuard 6.1 Beta, Malwarebytes Antiexploit.
    WinAntiRansome Plus, Cylance Protect,
    Maricum Reflect Free, CCleaner PRO
    AppGuard, Voodoo like you do shield 3.50 beta
    Only the Shadow Knows Defender"

Are you running these all at the same time?
    No need to ask, this will cause problems....home made problems.

20. Maybe something is lost in translation, but why ask then?

21. itman

itman Registered Member

About Cisco's MBR Filter driver ................

Yesterday I finally got around to creating a Win 10 recovery drive. Ran the utility and got to point where it instructed to insert the USB drive. Note that the utility will reformat the drive. It ran a bit and crapped out with a message there was a problem and the utility could not continue. OK. Maybe there was a problem with the drive. Tried another USB stick and same thing happened. WTF? Went into disk management and saw both drives had been wiped clean and in a totally unformatted state! Then the "light came on" about having previously installed MBR Filter driver.

First and most important. MBR Filter did not prevent the drive from being trashed. All it detected was the attempted to reformat any already trashed driveo_O Next, there was no alert from MBR Filter about the reformat attempt by the utility.

I then followed Cisco's instructions on removing the MBR Filter reference from the registry. This allowed recovery drive to reformat the USB stick and successfully complete. However, as suspected, this does not remove the driver and it still will load at boot time. I had to manually remove the driver. Also with the MBR Filter driver removed, I saw clear evidence it was interfering with Eset's driver loading.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks itman. Several times I've looked at it those removal instructions just made me nervous. Again thanks for confirming.

23. boredog

hitithome. I had all that software disabled but this morning I tried it again and it worked just fine. not sure why but I had removed a few extra filters from adguard. appcheck is running ok now while in shadow mode.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I am with you and itman on that.

I don't trust the way that they present it as a prevention measure but redirect to GitHub for "those" instructions to remove it.

Something like that to me screams BE CAUTIOUS.

25. Pure magic, software which reigns over its grave after being de-installed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.