Interesting AntiRansomware freeware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Windows_Security, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Didn't check that but in Appcheck even on the c: drive it's guarding the backup folder. However I was able to kill it with taskmanager

2. itman

itman Registered Member

AppCheck:thumbd:

3. Peter2150

Simple you don't know all the damage that might have been done. Why recommend doing a scan when it done at first would prevented the ransomware from running?

4. Peter,

You don't like or don't see the advantage and function of damage control, point taken.

There is a hole world outside (including IT) which uses damage control as one of the three basic strategies to mitigate risk.

Let's agree to disagree.

Regards

Kees

5. Peter2150

Yep, I agree. The users here can make there own decisions.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well I still haven't made up mine yet. At least where concerns freeware protections available for this form of ugly.

While some enjoy a reasonable enough measure of PC Security through virtualization tech software as basic security (as i prefer Sandboxie + SD) against those mischief crypto villains, it still almost begs to question what might be implemented fully in FREE protections as Kee's so often likes to explore for and often times comes up with some real delights.

Thanks @Peter2150 for getting your hands dirty on this particular strain(s) of interruption-ware yet (again).

7. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Is MBR ransomware able to do it's work when you are running as a standard user? Would MBRfilter be necessary in that case?

8. As far as I know, UAC elevation is required, so NO

9. itman

itman Registered Member

Good question. Using Petra ransomware as an example:

The good news is that Petya can’t install itself silently. Because it’s making changes to the boot environment, Windows will pop up a security warning. Users have to click through that in order for Petya to gain control of the system. People will still do that, but at least you have a chance to stop Petya before it’s too late.

Ref.: https://www.extremetech.com/computi...evel-encryption-to-hold-your-computer-hostage
    The rub so to speak is that when running as a standard user, you won't get any UAC prompts since no privilege escalation is allowed. However, I believe Windows will outright block this activity as a standard user.

Note that ransomware can still encrypt standard user profile files. However, can not encrypt any files stored under a local admin account.

10. That is why I run all our PC with UAC set to deny elevation of unsigned programs when running as admin. I use a simple registry file when I need to install an unsigned program. Some signed executables have unsigned installers (e.g. Secure folders had). Running with this setting works well for me since 2010.

Besides the privacy advantages of HenryPP's Chromium releases, I like to use Chromium because it is unsigned, so unsigned Chromium can run, but can't touch other UAC protected processes and folders with this UAC setting.

11. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I'm aware of this reg tweak but never grasped this till now for some reason. I understood unsigned programs wouldn't elevate but not that it can't touch other UAC protected processes and folders.

Thanks for the replies and thanks to the testers who shared their results. I'm aware of AppCheck's limitations, (and can deal with them), but it seems useful enough to me to use it for now.

Thanks Kees for sharing your approach to security.

12. Peter2150

You are welcome Easter

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I miss my old HIPS EqSysSecure. It was a great on-the-fly Rules Machine that would interrupt anything daring to interact with Windows files/registry/scripts even folder creation could be mid-air stalled in flight and the end user made the rules best suited and that was that.

Is there anything similar? It's just seems (for me anyway, short of my virtualization, the same old same old yet once again where you have to throw down for Anti-Ransomware A along with Anti-Malware B, that require sending files remotely (cloud whoopee) to be scanned etc. etc.

This is probably why I am always on the hunt for this or that piecemeal inventions that can work at LOCAL (In Machine Only) Level instead of the relay route through other servers despite their claims to golden security.

Thanks to you Kee's too, and never stop looking for those freebie inventions that can make a difference where it really counts.

14. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, that software was really great. I've used Malware Defender those days and still think it's the best security related software I've ever used. But sadly those days are over.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

They wouldn't have to be if enough effort was put into bringing them back again x64 bit brand. Of course that would also entail getting some sort of approval to make company with windows patchguard kernel amongst other agreements that are likely still off the table for now.

16. boredog

boredog Registered Member

EASTER

Have you looked at Appguard. It isn't free most users here will probably stop everything. I know peter has or does use it but not sure if it has been tried against malware. I asked CS if she would but never heard back. For me do not think I would need Appcheck or the other one with all the overkill I have now.

17. Peter2150

Lets not go into it here. I'll PM Easter and you

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

BoreDog- Sorry, I thought that I responded to you! I actually have done at least 2 AG videos. And yes, especially in Lockdown it will stop virtually anything (except by those few providers on the Whitelist).

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Got it. Thanks

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I get that you're not impressed at the moment, but in my current setup a standalone anti-ransom tool would come in handy. But since HMPA perfroms so well in your test, I might give it a try. The problem is, that I'm afraid it will cause issues, same goes for Malwarebytes.

I didn't get it? You probably mean that I didn't like SBGuard?

21. itman

itman Registered Member

I would view the video CS recently posted of HMP-A on malwaretips.com first .............................

22. Peter2150

I looked at the video, and I was convinced that her conclusion didn't matched the test results.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Exactly my dilemma with those (2). Issues are a big deal for me as well as Burps! and my system has had problems with those before. Guess i'm a bit leery about that but am used to things consistently running smooth like a well oiled machine.

A standalone/portable would be ideal but not so sure it could cover most the bases unless it was Embedded as the commercial one's do but I am all for portability!

Until such my virtualization/anti-exe/etc. and a few good backups will have to do. And they do very well thank you.

24. Peter2150

Guys. Image your systems. Then if there is a problem just restore the image.

25. boredog

boredog Registered Member

"Guys. Image your systems. Then if there is a problem just restore the image."

good advice and that is what I do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.