Interesting AntiRansomware freeware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Windows_Security, Dec 30, 2016.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

Belaboring, Eset's startup at boot time was being delayed which is no longer the case with MBR Filter driver removed. Additionally, many security products like Eset additionally monitor for low level disk access which could lead to potential conflict.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I need them, because at the moment I'm not satisfied with the other products that offer anti-ransom, like HMPA, MB and WAR. Both Appcheck and RansomFree seem to be promising.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No you don't. On testing they won't do that much for you anyway

4. Peter2150

Okay. I was asked if I would test this, an didn't think it worth testing the free version so I inquired of Checkmal and they did provide a key. A bit of detail about how I tested as the checkmal folks asked if I would give them the link to this post.

Testing was done in a VMware Workstation Ver 12.5 Operating system was Win 7 Pro x64. VM had 3.5gb memory and two 100gb drives. I let Voodooshield run and then the ransom protection. I had two separate snapshots one with Appcheck and the other Hitman Pro Alert. The MBR ransomware was Goldeneye, the rest some Locky Cerber etc. I also compared how Hitmanpro Alert compared to Appcheck.

On the MBR ransomware both programs shut it down immediately. On the other samples the story was different. HMPA shut down 4 of the 5 missing one. But on the other 4 it was a clean shutdown. Desktop and the rest of the system remained unchanged. Basically everything was the same. That wasn't true of Appcheck. Although on the VM the test folder was intact, on the desktop it was a mess. There were files missing, some kind of encryption files and everything was scambled around. I would have not been comfortable with anything short of a restore.

I don't consider this test successful because of the desktop mess, and candidly I don't see any point in this software Voodooshield as well as EIS and Mbam would protected the machine and prevented the encryption. Even protected against Goldeneye. Although not strictly part of this test Sandboxie would have protected against all these samples.

Pete

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

SandboxIE always Rocks!

Looks like AppCheck needs some help

6. Thanks Peter,

I thanked the people who found AppCheck because I use it as SECOND line of defense for damage control on the DATA. What nice of you to proof that it outperformed HPMA on this (since it HPMA allowed your data to be ransomed/trashed). I do agree that AppCheck is not suited for first line of defense, but IMO is designed for a (free) SECOND line of defense (in combination with MBRfiler) to LIMIT DATA DAMAGE.

SO let me be clear in the context, which I think this free combo does a great job as a SECOND llne of defense to LIMIT DATA DAMAGE.
    1. Proactive prevention
      In my case that is Software Restriction Policies and Access Control list protecting user space with the exeception of my Temp folder (to allow installs with run as admin). Avast in hardened aggressive mode (cloud whitelist) takes care that I don't install malware. See for instance CS test of Avast in hardened mode against ransomeware.

2. Data damage control
      In risk and contingency management and our real life, we see a lot of of damage control applications: take for instance the airbag in your car, it does NOT prevents collisions,but limits damage in case of a collision. Airbag does not protect the car (the OS) but protects the people in it (the data). Damage control is a smart thing use in case your first line of defense is broken.

In endpoint (PC) protection, losing the system is a nuisance, but with a re-install or image recovery your system can be reset. Lost data can't be replaced so keeping the data as little as possible (holiday images, videos of social events, documents which you have to administrate for the tax service, et cetera). I use this freebie Combo for data damage control.

3. Disaster recovery
      This is the backup plan in case everything goes down. Disaster recovery can be a local using a second (USB) harddisk or in your network using a NAS or at some other place (at specialized fallback/recovery center of in the cloud). Besides data it is also good to have an image backup, so you don't loose time installing al the software to get up and running again.

I will keep repeating posting above text every time you post AppCheck is worthless software. It is not to be used as FIRST line of defense (as said we agree on that). But I can't understand why a professional would tell people not to use DAMAGE control when it is FREE and LIGHT (even on older systems).

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  7. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Kees, would you run AppCheck as a second line of defense (damage control) alongside other ransomware prevention software (e.g. HMPA, Emsisoft), or would that be inviting trouble?

8. HPMA injects its DLL into every process, so it is also a behavioral blocker desined against exploit and malware. Emsisoft has an excellent behavioral blocker. When you have a behavioral blocker on board already, I would not opt for doubling this type of protection. One could say that a BB is a second line of defence to limit post execution damage.

You could try Ransomfree which uses file honeypots. I have not tested ransomfree (so don't know whether it is light).

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I agree with @Windows_Security to use AppCheck as a second line of defense. It is not perfect, and will never be, but outperformed much better than others. So I recommend it for people who want to set and forget, specially those not tech savvy ones.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Btw have anyone notice it makes AutoBackup(AppCheck) and Backup(AppCheck) folders? And curiously much larger than RansomFree honeypots? Well, it depends on the size of your protected files/folders.

Also AppChecks has granular control over Autobackup, it is found in Auto Backup tab. Again, the size of such folders can grow really large.

11. Peter2150

Hi Kees

You have not read what I wrote. HMPA had a miss so assuming nothing else was protecting the system you would be correct. I honestly don't remember if Appcheck had a failure or not, as I considered every test a failure. Being able to check one folder with 10 files is easy, but to have to check one or more disks with 100's of files is quite another. Remember every test of Appcheck resulted in a trashed desktop that would have required an image restore.

As for posting your text. It's a good theory, but have you backed it by testing against real live malware. That's the real test.

12. Peter2150

Out performed how? How will these tech savvy folks repair their desktops.

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

For example it outperformed over RansomFree. Hopefully your bad desktop and AppCheck experience will not hit a vast majority but I am confident the Korean company will fix that sooner than later.

Still I don't like to have all my info duplicated along my drives although I set just one partition to hold those huge AutoBackup folders, even from other drives. This is the mechanism AppCheck uses when a ransomware hits and it's able to encrypt some files so AppCheck kicks in to revert the damage by recovering those files from the backup pool.

14. itman

itman Registered Member

Your test confirms what I have always assumed. This is, ransomware will target the desktop folder. First, it resides in the same user profile folder as other folder files normally targeted by ransomware. Second, the ransomware needs to modify the desktop to display its "your files are encrypted" message. And lastly, to encrypt targeted file extensions contained within the desktop folder.

Question. Did AppCheck backup the desktop files affected as it claims to do?

15. Peter2150

Good question. I forgot when I tested that I had FIDES protecting the E drive so nothing wrote to it. I'll retest today and see.

16. You give me to much credit ;) It is not my text nor my theory, I have a bachelor in IT and it is (was) common risk management and contingency management. It is like the ABC of contingency management
    A: Prevent incidents
    B: Damage control
    C: Recover/rollback

IT copied this principle from real world (architecture/engineering/medicine/warfare).Look around you and you will see it every where in real world also not only the airbag in your car, also the sprinkler in your office, every waterway in the Netherlands has a GUARDING dike (first layer) and after that a SLEEPING dike (second layer). How much real live samples would you like? Intrusion Detection Systems are also damage control systems :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  17. Peter2150

True but IT folks don't have a great record of stopping ransomware. I am off to try and answer Itman's question.

18. itman

itman Registered Member

Came across a review of SBGuard by downloadcrew.com; another free anti-ransomware. Like software seems to be "cropping up like weeds" these days.

The first question to be asked before using like software is if it is doing stuff like:

To do this, the program apparently "injects a large number of restriction mechanisms and modifies some core Windows components to prevent malicious behaviours and executions which Ransomware viruses use to infect the system."
    "Run - don't walk away" from the software ASAP. Also noted in the review as the RansomFree users are finding out is how the software interferes with software installations. No doubt whatsoever based on the above activity.

Ref.: http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/34497-sbguard_anti-ransomware

19. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Well, all I can say itman is that I have installed RansomFree and it certainly does not seem to in anyway interfere with software installations that I have undertaken. Seems to play very nicely with existing software & security solutions. Have to say that this is not the case with AppCheck in my experience.

Regards, Baldrick

20. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

They're feeding off the panic and paranoia regarding ransomware.

21. boredog

boredog Registered Member

"Came across a review of SBGuard by downloadcrew.com; another free anti-ransomware. Like software seems to be "cropping up like weeds" these days."

oh oh here comes Rasheed lol

22. Peter2150

First in regard to kees and I do so respect him. But this ABC of IT is out of date even for them. If it was working the bad guys wouldn't be so successful with Ransomware. Problem is they aren't or can't adapt fast enough. When I first started my current testing project it was out of curiosity about VS was. As I realized it was really good I expanded include EIS and Mbam free. Everything was being caught. One thing of interest was VS's cuckoo analysis module. It was becoming obvious that by the time you were alerted to files being encrypted it was to late. YOU WERE INFECTED. About that time Erik Loman said the same thing. Being alert to ransomware was just a notification you were infected. The problem here is what was going on behind the scenes. Probably not good.

23. Peter2150

Next a retest of APPChecker. Thanks to itman's question, I turned off FIDES sand retested. Sure enough it did a much better job. It needs those backup folders, to do it 's job. I couldn't tel the pattern for what it put in them. Then I re tested that nasty CTBlocker that Cruelsister discussed. Hitmanpro Alert, justs blocked it an left the system intact. WIth Appcheck the system was pretty much hosed. I couldn't tell what was in the folders because explorer was blocked. Any effort to get beyond that and the system rebooted.

Here's an irony. Once it detects the ransomware it recommends a system scan. A good scan should have detected it in the first place. I stand by not seeing much use for any of these Ransomware thingy's

24. itman

itman Registered Member

Next test for any stand alone anti-ransomware. Can it be easily bypassed?

Can its main process be easily terminated using Process Explorer or RKill? Are its installation and like directories protected? Etc., etc..

25. Thanks Peter,

I thanked the people who found AppCheck because it is a nice FREE and LIGHT SECOND line of defense for damage control on the DATA. I do agree that AppCheck is not suited for first line of defense, but IMO is designed for a (free) SECOND line of defense (in combination with MBRfiler) to LIMIT DATA DAMAGE.

SO let me be clear in the context, which I think this free combo does a great job as a SECOND llne of defense to LIMIT DATA DAMAGE.
    1. Proactive prevention
      In my case that is Software Restriction Policies and Access Control list protecting user space with the exeception of my Temp folder (to allow installs with run as admin). Avast in hardened aggressive mode (cloud whitelist) takes care that I don't install malware. See for instance CS test of Avast in hardened mode against ransomeware.

2. Data damage control
      In risk and contingency management and our real life, we see a lot of of damage control applications: take for instance the airbag in your car, it does NOT prevents collisions,but limits damage in case of a collision. Airbag does not protect the car (the OS) but protects the people in it (the data). Damage control is a smart thing use in case your first line of defense is broken.

In endpoint (PC) protection, losing the system is a nuisance, but with a re-install or image recovery your system can be reset. Lost data can't be replaced so keeping the data as little as possible (holiday images, videos of social events, documents which you have to administrate for the tax service, et cetera). I use this freebie Combo for data damage control.

3. Disaster recovery
      This is the backup plan in case everything goes down. Disaster recovery can be a local using a second (USB) harddisk or in your network using a NAS or at some other place (at specialized fallback/recovery center of in the cloud). Besides data it is also good to have an image backup, so you don't loose time installing al the software to get up and running again.

I will keep repeating posting above text every time you post AppCheck is worthless software. It is not to be used as FIRST line of defense (as said we agree on that). But I can't understand why a professional would tell people not to use DAMAGE control when it is FREE and LIGHT (even on older systems).

Regards Kees

P.S.

It is not my text nor my theory, I have a bachelor in IT and it is (was) common risk management and contingency management. It is like the ABC of contingency management
    A - Prevent incidents, B - Damage control, C - Recover/rollback

IT copied this principle from real world (architecture/engineering/medicine/warfare).Look around you and you will see it every where in real world also not only the airbag in your car, also the sprinkler in your office, every waterway in the Netherlands has a GUARDING dike (first layer) and after that a SLEEPING dike (second layer). How much real live samples would you like? Intrusion Detection Systems are also damage control systems

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.