Intel to Buy McAfee in $7.68 Billion Deal

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Malcontent, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Maybe Intel has zero interest in McAfee's actual SW, BUT just wanted it's large retail customer list and to take over the business contracts it has with PC vendors so as to expand it's chip customer base.

FWIW, there will not be any FP's inside chips. They have more brains than that (I hope)

2. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Not really. The theory on the street is that there might have been multiple bidders for McAfee, and that is why Intel had to bid so high.

Which means that the losing bidders still have an unfulfilled need, so we can expect some more security acquisitions.

I vote for someone acquiring just the security portion of Symantec's business and divesting or killing the rest... POS Veritas.

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Interesting never saw this coming.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://lastwatchdog.com/intel-mcafee-merger-lead-security-built-processing/

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Because Symantec has a market capitalization of almost $11 billion, it would be a tough acquisition for many companies -- but could happen. I think the more likely scenario is that we will see an increase in strategic partnerships between Symantec and hardware manufacturers.

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

1. Intel is earning more money then People expects. Especially when Intel are not paying their customer for rebate on using Intel CPU only. ( That is a lot more money then people realize. )

With their Killer earnings on Atoms and especially on the server side, they somehow need to hide these so their financial result wont make a sudden jump.

All servers requires AntiVirus. And it is Server that is growing even faster then Atom or PC / Laptop CPU.

If they can somehow manage to get all Intel CPU Servers ( That is 90% of the total market shares ) to use McAfee, they will make even more money.

7. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

This probably saves them a bundle on licensing fees for McAfee Enterprise. ;)

8. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Here's an interview with an Intel exec. I think this quote sums up Intel's reason for the acquisition (emphasis mine).

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As long as we have the option to uninstall it when we turn on our new computer. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.