Intel Shows Off Ultrabook-Tablet Hybrid Running Windows 8

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Ocky, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Intel Shows Off Ultrabook-Tablet Hybrid Running Windows 8

2. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I've been reading a lot about Windows 8 lately. I have looked at the Windows phones in person and on those devices Metro was a better experience than I expected but that's where the Metro experience ends for me. I have no desire to run Windows 8 with the Metro interface on a large 1080p HDTV or monitor. Most people I know are moving towards 30+ and 40+ inch HDTV monitors and away from the traditional smaller sized ones. If all those huge and brightly colored tiles look horrible on 20" screens they will be an obnoxiously bright color contrasting nightmare on 42", 55" and 60+ inch large HDTVs that are starting to dominate wall space in offices, living rooms and bedrooms.

It makes you wonder why MS spends a a small fortune to port and promote the Metro interface onto Windows desktops in an era where larger and larger HDTV screens are coming into the home and office. It should make you wonder what the developers have been smoking. It might work for the XBox360 gaming machine and small tablets or Windows phones but I doubt serious PC desktop users will have the patience for this kind of hybrid change. Then again maybe the doubt will fade with its release and Windows 8 will end up being a huge hit.

The only way I see this Metro hybrid interface working in a novel way for Windows desktops with large screen TV/monitors would be if MS licensed and integrated its Kinect gesture technology for HDTVs displaying Windows 8. What I do know for now is the more I read about Windows 8 the better I feel about my recent decision to purchase a new desktop Mac running OSX.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.