Intel criples windows 7 intentionally???

Discussion in 'hardware' started by pandlouk, Nov 29, 2017.

1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I have 2 nucs NUC5PPYH. The second one is less than 3 months old. Anyway I rarely used hdds on their usbs and never gave much attention to the slow read/write speeds.

a known issue to intel for 2 years now
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/93658

Today I bought a seagate firecuda and I am performing some tests to verify its condition and speed.
    It gave me read and write speed around 37-40/s mb in windows 7 64.:mad:
    I then boot to windows 10 64. The same disk gave me read/write speeds of 130mb/s.:confused::confused:
    I checked the drivers and I had the latest ones provided by intel.
    Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:4.0.0.36

So I go to assrock and download the drivers for their N3000/J3000 beebox.
    Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:4.0.3.49
    Crossed fingers and I installed them.
    And surprise surprise same disk nw gives read/write speeds of 131mb/s!!! >3x faster than with the drivers provided by Intel support.:eek:o_O:)

Intel WTF? Is this intentional or what?:oops::doubt:

Panagiotis

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

"Never assume malice for what can be explained by simple incompetence."
    Mrk

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

If your using the latest Intel drivers in Win7 and Win10, I highly doubt Intel is crippling Windows 7 on purpose. Its probably a system configuration issue.

I had a similar issue on my Sager NP8257 with a Samsung NVMe drive. I was seeing super low speeds, slower than SATA3 speeds. Just had to find the correct NVMe driver.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

And never assume incompetence until Man can create perfection 100% of the time.

Of course it is not intentional. Why would any company develop a driver that intentionally degrades the performance of their products? Unless there is a safety or security concern, they wouldn't.

And obviously, IF a company did intentionally do this, it would affect everyone using this product.

So something else is wrong and if not due to some failed component, or some unique configuration in your specific setup, my suspicion would be it has to do with some proprietary modification. Just another reason to stick with PCs where the ATX Form Factor has established an entire set of "industry standards" all manufacturers of all PC components must adhere too. With no industry standards for these devices (including notebooks, tablets, cell phones and more), we the consumers suffer the consequences with incompatibility issues, and higher costs. :(

5. pandlouk

I sure hope so... but I find hard to believe because I had contacted intel in November 2015 and were very competent and helpfull.
    Is not a system configuration issue. The bios/uefi settings on these nucs do not have very advanced configuration settings that nucs with i3/i5/i7 have.
    It is a driver issue because intel does not provide their updated USB drivers in their support pages
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/85254/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5PPYH
    and another nuc with n3050 cpu that probably has the same issues
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/85254/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5CPYH
    strangely in their bundle drivers compatible with "win10 only" they include win7 drivers version 4.0.0.45

when in fact their lastest drivers 5.0.4.43 are compatible with both models
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Intel-C220-C610-Chipset-Family?product=65855
    (I would not even try it on mine, if I did not know that they are the same family and intel renamed the n3700 from celeron to pentium for marketing reasons)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  6. pandlouk

Well only intel and their personel know if is incompetence or not. And I sure hope it is not intentional.

Actually it should affect everyone that uses windows 7 on these nucs or mobos. Just read the amazon and newegg reviews on the assrock n3700-atx mobo.

I could accept that it could be due to a failed component, but not when it happens in 2 same systems the 1st produced in september 2015 and the second in may 2017... and both resolved when installed the newer drivers that intel does not provide neither on their support pages nor with their online tool when searching for new drivers. I had to search for intel usb3 drivers, download the changelog, read the compatibility (celeron N and J are supported but pentium N is not mentioned anywhere) and see if they would install and if they operate correctly... and seeing the stable speeds that it gives me for the last 20+ hours during the 2 surface tests, I must say that they are...

Panagiotis

7. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

...but also, never assume incompetence when there is a motive for intent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.