intel Core2 Duo & 64 bit

Discussion in 'hardware' started by AaLF, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

thanks for pointing this out, not many people know this.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Sorry, but it is not nearly that simple.

ALL the hardware matters - not just the CPU, cards, printers, or other misc devices.

As pointed out, 64-bit drivers for the motherboard's chipset are essential. But there are MANY more devices on the motherboard itself that matter too. The disk drive controllers, integrated sound device, USB and Firewire controllers.

In effect, ANY device that requires a driver will need a 64-bit driver.

The reality is the vast majority of CPUs have been 64-bit ready for many years - typically much longer than just about everything else!

3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hey Bill,

Will upgrading to Win7 64bit require a graphics card or only to enable games & does x64 put extra load on the power supply?

4. Bill_Bright

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are asking

The fact a computer is running 64-bit or 32-bit has nothing to do with the power supply. I take that back, but only by a tiny bit. 64-bit supports more RAM. But that is very little to graphics card requirements. That is, lots of RAM takes more power to run, but not enough to worry about. If unsure, plug all your hardware into the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite and see what you need. I generally recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 10% and setting both TDP and system load to 100%. These steps ensure the recommended supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation, as well as future hardware demands. Setting Capacitor Aging to 30% will provide an even nicer amount of headroom.

Upgrading to 64-bit, first and foremost, requires 64-bit drivers for all your hardware devices. All the devices integrated into the motherboard, and any add-on device like graphics cards. So you MUST ensure you have drivers. If your hardware is less than 3 years old, I cannot imagine 64-bit drivers not being available. Printing devices are often a problem because people hold on to old ones and the makers may not have 64-bit drivers for them.

The vast majority of programs designed to operate in 32-bit Windows XP will run fine in 64-bit Windows 7 and without needing to run in virtual XP mode (available in some versions of W7). IMO, if a software maker has failed to keep up with the times by providing 64-bit ready Windows 7 capable updates, it is time to find a different program. Windows 7 came out 3 years ago this month and the 64-bit version is, by far, the most widely used.

5. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Seems I'm running out of excuses for avoiding Win7. Maybe this will hold off the inevitible:

Question: My MBd etc are confirmed 64bit capable. But will I survive on 2Gb of RAM until I get around to buying some or will life be uncomfortable from the moment Win7 opens its eyes??

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm running 64 bit Win 7 with 2 gigs of RAM, and it's perfectly usable. I do plan on adding more RAM as sometimes my memory use exceeds 80%. However I often have multiple programs open and 10 to 20 tabs open in my web browser so the high memory use is understandable.

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

MS says you can't upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.

This is incorrect - you can do this with a third party tool that preserves ALL the data and allows you to restore it to the new operating system when the upgrade is complete.

8. Bill_Bright

They are correct in that there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7. And while there are 3rd party applications, they don't have a stellar reputation.

The OS is the most important program (or a bunch of programs) on your computer. It is coordinates and facilitates all communications, protocols, and handshaking between all the hardware components, and software components on your computer.

Frankly, when installing operating systems, a fresh install on a newly formated disk is the best way to ensure the most trouble free operation and sure to leave your hard drive much less cluttered with useless, old OS files.

9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Just confirming - is this all the drivers I need for win7x64? not many. Do some drivers come with win7 CD?

10. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

"Just confirming - is this all the drivers I need for win7x64? not many. Do some drivers come with win7 CD?"

Between the network driver from the site, the GFX driver that will come with new GFX card, the intel update utility, what comes on the 7 disk and what you can get on your first trip to windows updates you should have most it not all drivers setup. The network driver will allow you to get any ones you missed taken care of one way or another. If there are any missing in device manager after you set this up we can help you find the rest.

11. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

no disrespect but "Sorry, but that is incorrect" lol

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /3GB /PAE /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

8 gigs ram for winxp ^^ yaha :cool:

some 32bit Os setups can go way past this as well though its a funky topic.

trick is to edit the boot.ini file in your root dir of where it is you installed windows

more info on the PAE Switch PAE link

BTW beware older apps don't like this trick at times.

id all so enable full DEP for this kind of setup.

12. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  13. Sir paranoids

funny i tested it and i can detect more then 4 gigs ram being used though windows douse a good job at hiding the extra ram and it needs to in a way.

and yes your right the Os can not use more then 4 gigs at any given time or 2 gigs if i remember right "maybe 3" for any given program but the extra ram is still their and can still be used in some cases.

btw windows 2003 server "winxp server" is a 32bit os that supports 128gigs ram if you understand how that works ^^ kind of funky in a way :D

really all its good for is when you start adding in big video cards with lots of ram.
    so if you had 4 gigs system ram + 1 gig page file + 1.5 gigs ram on the video card you end up with
    total ram {1.5+1+4=6.5 gigs total}

you know the only software that i found that can detect that the ram is even being used is .

EVEREST Ultimate Edition v5.50

if you want i can get off my butt and make a SS for ya of the extra ram being detected :O)

plz keep in mind that in winxp the os will try and hide the fact that the ram is being used and is their, that's probably why most of the posts out their on the topic people think it just doesn't work but it douse, you can feel it in some ways and really on some levels its better and faster and on other it really just slows things down and makes the os buggy when trying to use older apps.

14. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Yes, you can map the extra ram to a ramdisk and then mount it, this is the loophole. You can then move certain disk functions to this space to get a speed boost.

Yes, that is what the chart says. The server version has different memory management functions than XP does. The desktop OS and server version are not 1:1.

I can do the same with my 8 gigs in XP being detected (in many apps BTW) but in memory management it clearly still shows less than 4 available. I use the extra 4 as a ramdisk.

15. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Here is the ram breakdown on this system.

Attached Files:

• ram.JPG
      ram.JPG
      File size:
      147.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Sir paranoids

your running winxp 32 on a i7 , nice :p

didn't know about the ram drive trick,interesting and ya its more or less the same deal in a lot of ways with PAE, the /3 switch gives the os 1 gig ram for its use and 3 gigs for the Os and the PAE like your setup is more or less a overflow ram drive.

man i wouldn't want to see what a Os is like with 64gigs ram that mean the os in question would have 64/4 = 32 memory banks, retarded.

the Os would be shuffling data from one bank to the other all day long and that would slow the Os down in a big way.
    its all most faster at that point to get the needed data from a hdd at that point vs 75% of your cpu core just doing memory swap action and its not like the os in question can run any one app in any case that needs more then 3 gigs or ram kind of deal.

for winxp PAE is like ultra expanded memory in a way, the 4 basic lower range memory areas being Expanded~extended~high memory~Conventional memory range if i remember right.:blink:

to tell you the truth more often then not i dont even use the PAE trick,it really tends to freak some programs out and or just makes em run like garbage.
    i remember one game that really didn't like it.
    think it was called duke nukem openGL 3d or something, it would go for the highest memory range it could and windows would go in to memory swap over drive = fps lag lag lag crunch crunch ~ shutter shutter shutter just freaking lame lol

time for some pics :argh:

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2dv21u.jpg

http://oi49.tinypic.com/2cxstnl.jpg

for the record i have with this test setup 4 gigs system ram 512ram on the video card and 1 gig swap file.

odd numbers on the pics done you find its like the benchmarking and dignotic app gets confused by the use of PAE ,i know its running though when im setup in PAE , the computer doesn't handle the same way, i can feel it doing the memory swaps from the twin banks. ;)

lol god XP runs fast as F$%^ on a 4000+ mhz core 2 setup, its like inhuman fast and i don't think you can click that fast hehe.

17. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Its dual boot XP32 + 7 64 pro.

Install 1 gig of ram and then set your page file to 8 gigs and take another pick showing virtual memory. Virtual memory can break the 4 gig cap but it does not change how much physical memory XP will use. You can create a ramdisk in the inaccessible area and then move your page file there, this will get you around the OS limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

18. Sir paranoids

Cant seem to push the page file past 4096 Kb it would seem on a computer even with 1gig ram ,don't know what that's all about.

hay i was thinking seeing as win server 2003 can support 64 gigs ram in none uniform architecture memory computing setup, do you think theirs a way some way of robbing win server 2003 of a feu *.dll files or something to mod out winxp for more memory support ?
    hemm its a sham we can't just swap out emm.386 and maybe a feu mods in the autoexec.bat like the old days but i guess its not that simple anymore.

ps err i meant 16 banks looks like im the retard o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.