Instant Crash on Anti-Virus Scan

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Ruro Jiruries, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruro Jiruries

Ruro Jiruries Registered Member

Hallo folks,

I just downloaded the latest version from the Official Download page, installed the Trial verison of ESET Smart Security. It all loads and operates fine, but when running a Custom Antivirus scan, it at some point, caused an Instant Computer Restart.
    This may be in part because of my Critical Crash settings for Windows XP I have configured, rather then crashing to a BSOD or whatever rolls on XP by default these days.

The first time it happened, I just assumed it was a one off. The custom scan is only scanning the C:\ drive, and the Operating Memory. It made it past the Windows folder, and somewhere in Program Files the Crash of Death occured.

So I just tried again, everything the same (except I excluded the Windows folder from the Scan, since that was a long scan, but successfully quarantined all that was found). But it crashed again, somewhere amongst the Program Files folders.

Any suggestions? I realise this could be a scarce one off issue, and the answer will hardly be obvious, thus I'm guessing there is usually some sort of Log I can supply that ESET Smart Security mantains; enlighten me if so, and I will happily attach to a next post.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 btw, with no other Anti-Virus or Firewall software present (With the exception of the Windows stuff, but I prevent the Windows Security Centre to load on startup, and the Windows Firewall is Disabled within it anyway).

Thanks for your support! Sorry if I missed any key information, I'll supply it by request of course.

EDIT: Just run another Custom Scan, except I did all the C:\ Drive, excluding the Windows Folder & Programs Folder. It doesn't say much, except there is some pain the butt folder lurking in Program Files that makes my System cry :/ I suppose the only thing to do, is perhaps run it again, solely on the Program Files and keep a real keen eye on where it Buggers up o_O My computer can surive another disaster I think, I'm not losing any files/fragments when Windows Disc Checker goes to work when it reboots. I'll prep my PC for it and report back soon after it crashes :p

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. Ruro Jiruries

Ruro Jiruries Registered Member

Perhaps a waste of time, I don't know, but solely scanning the Program Files revealed Zero system restarts.

Perhaps it's the scanning of the Operating Memory (Which I excluded this time), is there any known issues with this aspect of the scan? Oh wells, regardless, it seems to work... in ways o_O I might still purchase the software, heh, see how I get on with it over the next month.

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

My initial thought is a conflict with another program (device driver, service or application) installed on the computer. In order to help troubleshoot this, please download a copy of ESET SysInspector, create a log file and email it to support@eset.sk with a link to this message thread.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.