Installing, XP, Vista, Red Hat Linux Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by TommyDSM, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyDSM

TommyDSM Registered Member

Hi,
    I think the OS Selector Software is great! Love the interface. But how do I go about installing Windows XP, Vista and Red Hat Linux? I have setup seperate partition for each OS and a Swap partition which is about 3Gigs and is the first partition. I install XP First, then Vista. But when I try to detect Vista it doesn't see it on the seperate partition. Maybe I'm not detecting the Vista correctly? How should I go about doing it? Also with Red Hat. Should I install the GRUB?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TommyDSM,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Actually Acronis OS Selector supports all the operating systems you have mentioned.

I can recommend you to take a look at this FAQ article describing what you should do in this situation.

If you still experience this issue then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  3. walybare

walybare Registered Member

Well that was a useless response from Arconis to your question TommyDSM. There is nothing in the FAQ about Windows Vista. Your not doing anything wrong. I can't detect Windows Vista either. And I've installed it about 3 or 4 time and on different drives and partitions.

I'm using DDS10 and I've tried everything. I've used the automatic OS Detection wizard by booting into Win2k and by booting into the OS Selector boot menu. I've tried to manually select the partition by selecting MBR and even telling it to use the ntloader.com file - all (also) by booting into Win2k and by booting into the OS Selector boot menu but nothing works.

And, I've even tried to install DDS10 in Win Vista....
    After getting my system to boot to Win Vista (without the use of OS Selector) I thought that I would just install DDS10 in Win Vista and see if that will work. But noooooo... install blows chunks and pops up an error message about something to the effect "install has stopped because the license does not allow this software to run on this OS" -WTF I paid for it.

"Try Linux or any other new OS"
    That's what it says on the web page as of this writing and that is partly what convinced me to buy DDS10 - so why doesn't it work?

Here's the link...
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/multibooting.html

Vista Beta been out since before Aug 2005 and DDS10 Dec 2005.

Why isn't Windows Vista detected and why can't we manually tell OS Selector to boot that OS?

PS. I'm using the 64bit version of Win Vista.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello walybare,

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my previous post.

You can find the list of the officially supported operating systems in the very bottom of the Boot Manager section of our web site. The name of the subsection is "Supported operating systems".

As you can see, there is no Windows Vista mentioned. Actually the support for this operating system will be certainly implemented in future, but I'm afraid that the exact time frame is not available yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. ronandex

ronandex Registered Member

I have XP Pro, SuSe 10 and Vista 5342 installed. I installed SuSe 10 last which recogizes all the OS nicely on its bootloader. If you install Red Hat last it should recognize the windows OS, however Windows can't boot Linux!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.