Installing SuperAntiSpyware?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Some people told me that I'm supposed to uncheck some box so when it's scanning, it won't going to crash my computer or anything. But I don't remember what I am supposed to uncheck. Can anyone help? And also, when the results comes up after the scan, am I supposed to check ALL the boxes and then quarantine it?

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I don't think there is anything in SAS that needs "unchecking", though the occasional user has had problems that have been "workaroundable" by unticking "enable direct disk access".
    Haven't heard of any actual crashes, though, maybe a slowdown.
    I would try it with everything at the default settings first. In the unlikely event there are problems, then investigate.
    To be sure about what to quarantine, best to show a screenshot of the results with any expandable entries expanded. SAS isn't notorious for a lot of FPs, so it should normally be safe to quarantine anything found. Need to see to be sure, though.

3. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

There is nothing you need to uncheck. Use the default settings.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

The unchecked option was necessary for older versions. With latest versions, there are no such problems.

5. sooflymami

Oh ok, someone told me that I'm supposed to uncheck something right after I get that program before scanning so it wont going to crash my computer because certain spywares cause that while scanning or something like that he said. So does this mean that I don't have to uncheck any boxes under the options area? It should be safe and I dont have to do anything after I download and install the SAS?

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Check your PM's.
    No need to change any defaults under the scanner preferences. Under the "general and startup" tab you might want to un-tick the "show splash screen". It's up to you if you want it to scan on startup. I've turned that option off, myself. Also up to you is whether you want it to start with windows. It certainly doesn't use much resource, and it's recommended to have it start with Windows, to maximise its self-protection ability. (In other words, there are some malwares that are designed to attempt to disable security apps. If SAS is actually running, it will do a better job of protecting itself.)
    Don't worry about this application. It's good. The forum is good. The app is under very active development. I've seen at least three program updates in the past 6months or so, definitions are generally updated daily, sometimes more often.

7. sooflymami

Oh okay and when I get that SAS program and after the scan, am I supposed to check ALL the boxes when they give me the results and quarantine them all? Because I dont want to delete anything that I might need or want to keep it.

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Good question. SAS doesn't have a reputation for a lot of false positives, but in any application of this type, they are still possible.
    What you do (or what I do, when in doubt) is Google each entry found. (Except cookies. Cookies are a privacy concern, but the worst that will happen when they are deleted is that you may have to re-enter your password/preferences on a site.)
    Search results for the entries will usually indicate what is indeed malware, and what probably isn't.
    Another trick is to actually upload any suspicious file to virustotal for multi- AV application scanning. http://www.virustotal.com/
    Another trick is to ask about the scan results at a forum. The SAS forum is pretty helpful, or maybe here.
    Whenever getting rid of items detected, always quarantine, don't delete. Just in case it is a FP.

9. sooflymami

Do you think it will affect my internet explore browser or it will be ok and it shouldnt change anything like the way it loads and other stuff?

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Shouldn't change anything.
    It's a similar (intended) function to AdAware, just a lot better. Quite a lot.
    [edit] Of course if you have a lot of redirects, popups, etc, it might just stop them happening. I guess you could call that changing the way it loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.