Installing Programs And Drivers

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Tatersalad, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

When installing new programs and updating drivers is it better to disable PG or put it into learning mode? I notice when I put it into learning mode for programs I end up with a lot of temporary setup exe’s filling up my program checksums list. I just removed about 30 of them. And what about driver updates like sound, video and chipset drivers. Wouldn’t learning mode be better for drivers so services start without interruption from PG?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Tatersalad, When doing windows update or installing new "Triusted" programs or hardware drivers I usually disable Process Guard. Like it says in the book "please disable running programs whilst installing XYZ" :)
    You will then just get asked to allow new checksums etc. from the DCS desktop.

HTH Pilli

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I just had an interesting experience after performing the latest Windows update. I decided to disable PG as recommended. After updating Windows and before restarting my PC, I enabled PG. After I restarted my PC, during the bootup process a PG warning screen flashes just momentarily to warn me that some trusted process is trying to run but has changed. It flashes so fast that I don't even have time to click the "Allow" button. The PC then locks up, and I have to manually turn OFF the PC and restart.

Upon subsequent restarts, same thing happens over and over again. I finally had to restart in SAFE mode and disable PG to get my PC restarted. Not sure why it did this. :(

As a side question, during restart of WinXP, a screen displays that says something to the effect that Windows is starting up and loading your preferences. Any idea how to close this message screen? In previous version of windows, ALT-ESC used to do this. o_O

4. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

Thanks Pilli

I just updated my nforce chipset drivers and ati display drivers after disabling PG and amon. I didn’t see any windows from PG when I restarted but everything installed fine.
    Most program installs I forget and leave PG and nod32 running and just have keep hitting the allow button. That hasn’t caused any problems yet but drivers are a different story.
    Great program Process Guard. Smart programs like this make it tough for Microsoft to tell us only Trusted Computing Platforms can keep us safe. DCS has done in software what the TCG says must be done in hardware. And we get to decide what runs on our computer not Microsoft.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Daisie, When I do a windows update which requires a reboot (most) I do not enable Process Guard until after the reboot as I believe most of the changes that an update performs are done on the closedown and reboot ie, part of the update process. Re-enabling PG before reboot will probably have undesired effects :)
    Not sure about this :( Have you tried just escape?

Cheers. Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.