Installing LnS on New Laptop

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by huntnyc, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I am using an HP dv8000t Intel laptop with a Sprint PCMCIA Novatel card to connect to Internet. Need to move LnS to this new laptop and when I install the trial version, I don't get any recognition of my Novatel connection at all. Also, I know I need to get a new serial number but should I not be able to install this trial version and run it fully functional while waiting on new serial number. Can someone help me understand what I need to do to make LnS work on my laptop and thank you.

Gary

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Is LnS actually working? Showing alerts, logging, data transfer etc....

3. huntnyc

It will show some outbound alerts but will not open web pages in Opera and let my email client, The Bat! connect. I don't recognize my PCMCIA card in the connections in LnS. Hope I am clear. Thanks.

Gary

4. huntnyc

Althou my PCMCIA card is conneted to the Internet, LnS was showing 0.0.0.0 for my IP address in the Welcome page. Again, I did not validate or anything because I need new serial number but I thought it should work for me but I don't know if it can recognize my Novtel card from Sprint. Anyone else have this setup and use LnS? Thanks.

Gary

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

This should work even if you don't have yet a new serial.

Did you install Look 'n' Stop after the network drivers ?
    Just after Look 'n' Stop is started the first time, could you open the console, press the "Driver Logs" button and send us the content of the windows to lnssupport@soft4ever.com

Thanks,

Frederic

6. huntnyc

Whgen I have some time, I might try to do this but the only problem is, when I install LnS on this laptop, I have no email or internet access. Therefore, it makes me have to revert back to another backup image to get my system up and running. Will take some work but I will need to have time to try it again. Thanks for your response on this and I will see how it goes and if I can do this soon, will let you know.

Gary

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Do you mean just closing Look 'n' Stop application is not sufficient to get the internet access working again, and you need actually to uninstall Look 'n' Stop ?

In that case, the problem would be a kind of conflict with the network drivers.

Frederic.

8. huntnyc

Installed LnS again and had same problems not being able to connect to Internet. Quit LnS and still could not connect to Internet. Is there anything I can do to use this fine product on this laptop? Thanks again for all.

Gary

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

This is not a good sign. It means there is a problem with just the driver loaded and even not enabled. So probably a conflict between network drivers.

The only thing I see, so far, is to be sure your network drivers (I mean for your network adapters, not the Look 'n' Stop ones) are up to date.

If you installed the 2.05p2 of Look 'n' Stop (from our main site) you can also try the 2.05p3 (from the forum) which contains up to date drivers.

One advice: if you install/uninstall/install Look 'n' Stop, please reboot between each operation to avoid some problem.
    An additional information that maybe useful: when it is not working, open the console in Look 'n' Stop click "Drivers logs" and send us the content of the console windows.

Frederic

10. huntnyc

Frederic, could you tell me exactly what clicks to make when getting to the Drivers Log. My vision is very poor and I might be missing how to do this. I would love to use the simple effective LnS again with NOD32 for a light system if this network conflict could be overcome with a patch or something. Thanks for all.

Gary

11. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

When experiencing connecting issues, and before quitting Look ‘n’ Stop application, are there any loggings to be seen on the Look ‘n’ Stop ‘Log’ page, and more specifically the blockings?

On the Look ‘n’ Stop ‘Options’ page, and clicking ‘Advanced options’ button, in the ‘Miscellaneous’ list do you have feature 'Keep Internet filtering active after the application is left.' activated?

Accessing the Look ‘n’ Stop Console, you visit ‘Options’ page and check the ‘Console’ box found there..

12. huntnyc

Thanks PhantOm. Let me try this again and follow your specific instructions. I will see what happens and let you know.

Gary

13. huntnyc

Before I could copy logs from LnS, I rebooted to see if things would improve and if my connection would be recognized but I got into a looping reboot senario where when Windows started I get a Date Execution Protection warning message box. I have heard of others having problems with LnS and the DEP function of xP. Could this be my problem and if I turn this off in Boot.ini, would my problems be resolved and what risk would I be running by doing this? Thanks.

Gary

14. Phant0m

What version of Look 'n' Stop you installing?

15. huntnyc

The last time I installed the beta but I have also installed the latest released version too. Guess I might have run into these problems with the beta. Will try to install the released version and send the driver log to Frederic and maybe I can post it here also if that would be OK. Thanks again.

Gary

16. huntnyc

Another point. I don't even think that LnS is selecting my Sprint EVDO PCMCIA card at all. It says it is selecting the WLAN option that has LnS in its description but I believe that is my built in wireless not my mobile broadband Sprint card.

Gary

17. Phant0m

You should download the recent package, v2.05p3 - http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/Beta-2.05p3/LooknStop_Setup_205p3.exe

Just be sure not to activate the beta-features (like offered through lns-ActivateBetaFeatures.reg found in the installed location) until we get things sorted out.

Also for the meantime don’t use / install the Service Utility, and not apply the newer driver that has been recently released on here…

And before Look ‘n’ Stop install you should visit the manufacture website for that network adapter and update it if possible…

And upon installing and before re-boot try disabling the feature 'Automatic selection' located on Look ‘n’ Stop ‘Options’ page.

18. huntnyc

Thanks again and I may try that but I have to go back to my backup image each time when Lns does not work because even after either quitting or uninstalling it, I cannot get my Internet access to work.

here is the drivers log file that I have also forwarded to support. Thanks for any help. And, I am a little surprised that anyone who is running a broadband card like this may not be having similar problems.

Look 'n' Stop Version 2.05p2

Driver versions: 4.07 & 3.04
    API Driver versions: 3.05 & 4.01
    [12:40:21] Internet Firewall Enabled
    [12:40:21] Appli Firewall Enabled
    [12:40:21] Computer isn't connected to Internet.
    [12:40:22] Watch Failed
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG N - 00:13:02:c0:ac:3e
    Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Con - 00:16:d4:37:82:84
    WAN Miniport (IP) - Look 'n' St - 86:c6:20:52:41:53
    [12:42:48] Adapter modified
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG N - 00:13:02:c0:ac:3e
    Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Con - 00:16:d4:37:82:84
    WAN Miniport (IP) - Look 'n' St - 86:c6:20:52:41:53
    [12:42:48] Computer connected to Internet on: 68.246.9.12.
    [12:42:50] 1 message Uplink
    [12:42:53] 1 message Uplink
    FW:
    Driver Entry Win2k/XP
    WAN Miniport (IP) - Look 'n' Stop Driver
    Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Look 'n' Stop Driver
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Look 'n' Stop Driver
    FW1:
    Driver Entry Win2k/XP.
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HPBSPSVR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE
    <SYSTEM>
    <SYSTEM>
    ASOK:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE
    UC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ALG.EXE
    SignDiff:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ALG.EXE
    <SYSTEM>
    ASOK:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ALG.EXE
    <SYSTEM>
    <SYSTEM>
    <SYSTEM>
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    SignDiff:C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    ASOK:C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE

Gary

19. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Even after uninstalling it...
    This is likely a conflict with one of the driver of your network adapters.
    Did you verify that the versions of your network adapters are up to date ?

The driver logs seem correct. The packet filter seems to work properly (IP detected, and some filtering are occuring with no special error).
    Perhaps the problem is on the Application Filtering side. To verify that, what you can do is renaming c:\windows\system32\drivers\lnsfw1.sys into lnsfw1.tmp, before rebooting.
    You will get an error when Look 'n' Stop starts, but we could see if the connection is Ok without the Application driver. If not it will confirm the problem is definitely a conflict between NDIS drivers.

Frederic

20. huntnyc

@Frederic

Tried what you suggested but no go. Could not get any Internet web pages or email even after renaming that driver. Then, uninstalled ZLnS and still could not access the Net. Went back to backup image again with no LnS. I guess for now there is not anything I can do since vendor software for my card is updated. If any others have an EVDO PCMCIA card from anyone that works, please let me know. Thanks again.

Gary

21. Phant0m

What I continue to find interesting is the idea that you uninstall Look ‘n’ Stop with its own UNINSTALLER (or you using Total Uninstall or program alike?) and re-boot the computer to experience no-internet connection, sign of improper / incomplete removal of the Look ‘n’ Stop emulating Network Adapters drivers…

22. huntnyc

I uninstall with Add/Remove Programs and still as I said cannot get any Internet content although my connection software seems to show i have a connection like it does when I am running LnS. Strange thing.

Gary

23. Phant0m

Are you re-booting the computer after uninstall?

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

This is exactly what I saw when I installed LnS, what on earth does it mean? of course its connected to the Internet, how on earth was I able to view web pages otherwise? o_O

25. huntnyc

Yes I did that and still no go with viewing web pages or operating my email client.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.