Installing Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake - Full tutorial

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have written a full step-by-step guide how to install and configure (K)ubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake Linux, including configuration of software packages, updates, graphic card drivers installation, internet connection sharing, and some more cool stuff.
    I would kindly ask you to head on to my humble site and read the article and tell me what your impressions are. I would be grateful for any feedback, correction or errors, typos or anything, suggestions for improvement.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/install_kubuntu.html

You can also check other software articles:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computer_software.html

Have fun and enjoy.

Mrk

2. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

"while Ubuntu uses the Xfce environment" should read Xubuntu. Nice installation guide :)

3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Great guide. It`s going to come in handy...thanks.

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

This is an excellent tutorial Mrk!
    It is very much appreciated and answered many questions that I had.

I was wondering...
    Why is the Linux swap partition made first before the root partition?

On Page 7, under ATI drivers
    What is the `uname -r` part?
    Is uname your actual login user name? Or does one type it in exactly as shown with single quotes?

Thanks again! :cool:

Sent you PM with minor typos.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

thanx for the guide. it may come in handy if i ever decide to try kubuntu (again).

6. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

As far as I know, "uname -r" is a command in the bash shell that tells you which kernal version you are running. Maybe a graphical representation of this would clear up confusion?

Basically here is what would happen after the "uname -r " command is run. I didn't notice the "default" when I did this the first time, so I just thought I'd point out that the number 2.6.16.21 and the DEFAULT are the important things in my case.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  7. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Minor corrections made - mainly typos and such. Thank you Devinco and fairyliqudizer. Some answers:
    No reason why I made swap first. I just like it that way. More orderly, so to say, to have "pagefile" separate from root and home. Physically, it should make no difference.
    uname command is indeed what sosaiso said.
    As to ATI drivers, I did mention I do not have access to a PC with ATI card. All my 7 PCs are Nvidia ... So ... this might be tricky.
    Anyhow, I appreciate the help and suggestions, will try to find answers.
    Soon, I will make a short article about dual boot, if anyone is interested, showing how to install XP and Kubuntu alongside each other, the matter of choosing the right drive, the right partition etc...
    Cheers,
    Mrk

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Devinco, or anyone else. do you still want an ubuntu tutorial? not really about how to install it, but more how to get everything setup and working after the install? because i might install it today while i have some time.

EDIT the partitioner won't let me partition the arch partition into two partitions, so i can't install ubuntu. i'm not installing it over arch! if i sort it out i'll post somewhere what i did to get everything working - media, system configuration etc.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    That would be extremely nice.
    Mrk

10. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    Would it be possible to elaborate on how to use a LiveCD for the recovery of the system?
    Anyone can make mistakes, espacially when you're new to the system.

Lamehand

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I'll dig into it. Never thought much about it really ...
    Mrk

12. Devinco

Thank you sosaiso. So the command is typed exactly as Mrk has it with single quotes.

13. Devinco

Thank you.

No need to go out of your way. I brought up the ATI only because of the uname question. I understand getting 3d support for ATI is not as easy as nVidia. If you come across some useful ATI info for Linux, I know ATI users would be thankful.

YES! That would be great Mrk. That is one of the many things I like about this tutorial, the details of the partitioning.

14. Devinco

Hi iceni60,

Yes, I am interested in it. Especially if it would resolve common problems and questions newbies are likely to have after setup. But not if there are overarching issues.

15. Devinco

Mrk,
    Just an idea for your article or another tutorial.
    For a dual boot user, it would be really cool to share one's Firefox/Opera profile (including bookmarks) and Thunderbird profile (including emails) between Linux and Windows. This way one could check email or surf in either environment.
    What is the best way to accomplish this is up to you. Maybe the Home partition could be FAT32 and the profiles could be stored there. Maybe a 4th FAT32 partition (Profiles?) could be made to store the shared profiles. I don't know if you can share a windows FF profile with the Linux version. What about Windows/Linux Thunderbird profiles, are they compatible? What about FF extensions? Are they OS specific which would prevent sharing? I know RoboForm is windows only (it consists of System Tray programs and FF extension). What would happen in this case? Roboform would probably not work (because of the missing programs), but would FF otherwise operate normally in Linux with the crippled RoboForm extension?

Anyway, it would be very efficient to share data like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.