installing B&R 2011 "not compatible" with Win7 x64

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Scott_Y, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_Y

Scott_Y Registered Member

I am trying to install B&R 2011 Free on a Win7 x64 system. The error message when I run the installation file says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running." I then set the compatibility to Windows XP sp 2 in the file properties, but still the same error. Any ideas how to get this to install? Thanks.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Please check if you have the latest installer. The most up-to-date version is always available from the My Account - My Downloads on Paragon web-site.
    The download should be xU.MSI - universal for x32 and x64 Windows versions or x64 separate version for your OS.

3. Scott_Y

Thanks, Mech_An. The download link for B&R 2011 Advanced Free on the Paragon website goes to Download.com. The file obtained there is named br_free_advanced.exe. For comparison, the trial version of B&R 2011 Advanced Home (downloaded directly from Paragon) is named br_home_trial.msi, and it installed fine on the same Win7 x64 system.

Hmm... based on your reply and the .msi extension on the Home trial, I changed the extension on br_free_advanced.exe to .msi ... AND IT INSTALLED FINE.

Wow. That means Download.com is distributing the correct installation file (and obviously the universal version for both 32 and 64-bit OS), but with the WRONG EXTENSION!

So Mech_An, you helped solve this one -- but in a way neither of us expected.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. Mech_An

For unknown reason Download.com site now packs MSI packages provided by original vendor in EXE package with dissimilar limitations. I don't know why, but it appears to be so :)
    I'm glad to know that installation worked for you.

5. hopcoinvst

hopcoinvst Registered Member

Mech An

This is irregular, but the 'private message' system seems to be down.

I have an issue very similar to B Valente's post in Feb 2011. He had an apparently good transfer of his OS to a new SSD drive - but the new drive cannot boot.

My problem is pretty much the same. I have opened the three files you suggested that he post (bit I don't think he did) and cannot understand them sorry.

I looks like my files were transferred, but the total size is different - purging temp etc. files? :oops:

Where would you suggest I go for help. o_O

John

6. Mech_An

Could you please add link to the post you mentioned?

Or (even better) describe what happens when you try to boot from SSD:
    1) Are there any boot error messages from Windows?
    2) Have you changed the boot order in BIOS to set the SSD as first boot drive?

You can send me LOG files to FTP using the credentials from private message.

7. Scott_Y

The unfortunate thing about Download.com doing this is that it makes Paragon and other vendors look incompetent. If the installation file won't run, my first thought is it must be the vendor's fault -- and if that is the case, how can I trust them to backup my system? Certainly that is unfair because the vendor is not at fault -- but the user does not know that.

Paragon would be wise to insist Download.com not repackage their msi files. Or else change to a different download portal.

8. hopcoinvst

Mech An

Many thanks for the reply.

1) When I try to boot from the new SSD, which is first in the BIOS boot order, BIOS appears to skip that SSD and goes to my old boot drive, which is #2 in the BIOS boot order. Then the computer boots normally -naturally. The CD drive is #3 in the boot order - and does not enter into the equation.

My thoughts as to the failure of the new drive to boot are: a) The system and file transfer to the new SSD was not good, despite Paragon Systems Utilities 2011 saying all was well, b) My machine does not like to boot from a USB(2) drive, even though it appears accessible in Windows Explorer (I am using the USB connection so as to test the new drive/transfer of system before I open the computer and install the new drive in one of the bays). c) The Grinch arrived early this year!

2) No there are not boot errors in Windows (7), for the BIOS skipped over my new drive and booted regularly with my old (and working) boot drive. BTW the machine is a Xeon 3350 (AKA Core 2 Quad 9450); a 160 GB SSD to be swapped to the new 240 BD SSD, mucho HHD space, 8 GB RAM etc. I am running Win7 64 and the OS is up to date.

3) I will try to send you the logs late today. Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Best regards,

John

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I didn't think you could normally boot Windows from a USB drive.

10. hopcoinvst

11. hopcoinvst

Update:

I was able to 'boot from my USB' as suggested in the About.com article, BUT while the computer 'booted' it encountered a BSD about the time the logon screen was to display. Was it that my USB2 connection was slow or invalid. I will never know.

What I should have done in the first place was to load the new SSD drive in my drive drawer which I use to swap my backup drives. When I did, the new drive connected perfectly, the Paragon HDM 2011 had properly transferred my "C" drive files to the new drive.

The latter is now permanently (sic) installed in my desktop/workstation.

Thanks to all who commented.

JHH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.