[Installer *.exe extraction] Command line tool

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello my good folks,

I've been searching for a while for a way to silently extracting the contents of an installer *.exe. I can say this installer is 100% extractable.

I tried with 7-zip, but for some reason the command line tool fails to extract it. I don't recall the exact error message, but it either didn't support the format or there was nothing to extract.
    I can right-click the installer and extract it, though. I wonder why the command line tool fails to extract.

I gave PeaZip command line a try, and it successfully extracts the installer. The thing is, and it's not quite a bad thing, it still provides the extraction GUI. It's OK for the task, I don't mind the extraction GUI.

But, I'm wondering if you're familiar with other free/open source command line extraction tools, and that you have used and know they can extract installers, so that I could also give them a try?

2. Roninmma

Roninmma Registered Member

3. m00nbl00d

I'm familiar with it, and I actually had it in my flash drive, but never needed to use it. So, I gave it a try and unfortunately, while it does work, it also shows an extraction GUI. This wouldn't be a problem weren't for an error regarding some *.dll file probably belonging to some of those third-party tools Univeral Extractor uses, that most likely it's missing. I need to press OK to proceed. If it weren't for this *.dll issue, it would be on pair with PeaZip, IMO.

Anyway, I may just replace 7-Zip with PeaZip, and also make use of PeaZip command line tool to extract the installer. The extraction GUI is OK; it presents the user the extraction progress, which is kinda nice. :) Also, no interaction is needed with the extraction GUI.

Thank you for your feedback! :thumb:

4. m00nbl00d

It turns out that 7-zip does extract the installer. I was simply using the wrong syntax to do it. :oops: It works fine now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.