Installed new hdd - drive letters changed

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by tepe2, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

That is true, but when I add a partition, internal or external, I don't want the DVD to get a different letter, some applications (even Windows setup and Office 2000) don't know how to act when drive letters change.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK. Nevertheless thanks for showing me that it can be done, using a letter like X or W is possible, because I had the impression that it wasn't possible at all. :)

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I did change my DVD-RAM to W right now.

To avoid another reinstall I just have to ask another question.

I should choose "primary", not "extended" right? Of course "logical" is not possible now.

Dont know if it matters, but in the near future I want to learn to use BING to backup and to manage the partitions. I dont think I will ever have more than 4 partitions, but who knows?

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

1. its 4 partition per HDD (or array) natively under windows

2. youd have to create an extended partition inorder to create a logical drive within it

3. create the primary ;) 0% chance of loosing the partition because you deleted another partition,
    unlike what can happen if you delete a primary the extended is a child to.

5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

1. Thanks
    2. Yes, I knew that but thanks anyway
    3. Thanks, I think I go for a primary partition for my data. And I will leave some space, say a couple of GB, unpartitioned. Im sure I need it one day.

6. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

here is a useful diagram that illustrates the chain of pointers ;)

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-partition-recovery.htm
    (lots more info, and pics, but Ive never used that ap)

http://i7.tinypic.com/4d68fbd.gif

(1) Features primary volumes only, with no extended partitions present.
    (2) Features one primary volume and one logical drive with the simple (non-chained) extended partition record
    (3) Presents the example containing one primary volume and two extended volumes (extended partition records are chained)

in the event the forum search feature is ever employed :p

7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Now Im finish, so far.

At last, I have:

Floppy (A:)
    WXP (C:) primary NTFS 40 GB (System) for Windows and Applications
    Dok (D:) primary NTFS 425 GB for Data, Music, Pictures, Documents...
    DVD-RAM (W:)
    Removeable Discs E,F,G,H
    I have 698 MB unassigned

When I connect my ext hd I rename it Ext (E:)

But first I find out how to move the MyDocuments folder to D:, then restore all my data from ext hd to MyDocuments on D:

Then I format my ext hd, because this now has 4 partitions, and I want only one big partition named Ext (E:). My ext is for backing up my data.

And then I can find out more about BING, IFW and IFD.

8. ErikAlbert

I didn't move any folder from my system partition to my data partition, except for Firefox and Thunderbird.
    For both softwares I moved their folder "profiles" to my data partition (cut/paste) and edited their file "profiles.ini" on the system partition with Notepad to tell both softwares where their folder "profiles" is.

For the other softwares, I changed their folder settings, so that they know where to store output-files on my data partition. I created my own folders on my data partition for these softwares.

Of course you can move the folder "My documents" with TweakUI or something else, but that won't work for Firefox/Thunderbird.

After that all your personal files, bookmarks, emails and email-addressbooks are stored on the data partition and that means you have TOTAL FREEDOM on your system partition without being worried about your data anymore. I'm glad I did this. Very reassuring.

I work this way since March 2006 and I have no problems with upgrading Firefox/Thunderbird.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  9. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I use MozBackup to backup Firefox and Thunderbird settings, bookmarks, email... and the backup files I store in MyDocuments at D:

But thank you, I have learned something new, and I might try it.

This could be a lot of work if you have, use, and try out a lot of software. But I might try with one or two.

As for moving MyDocuments, I changed the path from C:...to D:.... at my old system, and it worked. Dont know if this is the smartest way but...

I shall create an user account for my girlfriend too, and also move her folder to D:

10. ErikAlbert

Tepe,
    OK man, it doesn't really matter how you do it. The main thing is that all your DATA is moved to another partition.

BTW moving folders of Firefox/Thunderbird, like I described, is explained by Mozilla itself on their websites.
    So I didn't invent this procedure, Mozilla did.
    The advantage is no extra backup software. I only use Acronis for system and data partition.

11. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Agree

I believe this thread has come to an end

And again, thanks to all of you, for your helpful replies :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.