Installed MS Security Essentials, all I need?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

that's why i said ... usb drives can be set up sandboxed, to be able to run infected or not infected usb sticks ... well my post are answers to posts made by elapsed that sandboxed usb drives can be breached w/ autorun ... it is not aimed at any AV/AM or whatsoever.

how do you classify a flash drive as being safe? I only use my own flashdrives ... if files are needed to be transferred from a friends pc then use my flashdrive... why? because there are just too many ways for you to immunize your flashdrive, that way you are sure it is safe.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I don't think that applys to every single person out there unfortunately;)

But as you Say (You) use your own flashdrive doesn't mean everybody else use their own, does it?

3. adik1337

Yup, but can you point me to my post that says it would apply to everybody :rolleyes:

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No I can not since you didn't say so, but my feelings is telling me that you think that everyone knows how to do it right even without knowledge, wich is not possible.

Anyway, this is going way to OT at the moment so let's get ON topic again shall we.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This is my thoughts, he's broadcasting what HE does intellectually. As someone who know what he is doing. Not everyone knows what they are doing. You can't say "Oh a sandbox is all anyone ever needs" -which is pretty much what he implied with his statement.

There are many ways to avoid infection, whether it's closing ports to avoid network infection, disabling autorun to avoid plug and play infection, disabling macros to avoid office document infection, etc.

You can't magically fix everything with a sandbox, sorry. Please stop trying to attack my personality for trying to teach you something adik1337.

Also what I meant by infected drivers, you should read up about the stories on the USB battery that was infected, you'd be installing this software thinking it was legit for whatever gizmo you bought. Add to that the stories about the digital photo frames too.

Again, you can't magically fix everything with a sandbox, sorry.

Err, plug an infected USB drive into the PC. Done.

6. adik1337

hahahahahaha so that's how you "breached" sandboxie ... my goodness :thumbd: ever heard of "Proper Settings"? ... I thought you are experienced and knowlegeable *puppy* ? what happens to that statement now? again for the 3rd time ... pls stop acting like a smart a$$ ... you are just making fun of yourself.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  7. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Ok,I am altering my post.
    Funk,you did not breach anything.
    You walked through an unlocked door.

You can have a state of the art security system for your house,and if you do not enable its features,the bad guys can sneak in.

Sandboxie is pretty close to "set and forget."

The operative word being "set"

rat

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
  8. elapsed

My post stated quite a lot more than that, but I guess admitting you're wrong ain't your thing. Yes, I had properly configured Sandboxie. Why are you changing the topic off of the point you originally stated? Is it because you know you're wrong?

9. adik1337

who me? or is that statement for yourself :rolleyes: ..... 4th time, do I need to repeat it? well if you can have at least one member here to say that you are right ... you will never see me here in wilders again :ninja:

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  10. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Elapsed,
    I understand you if you feel my lack of experience is beneath your greatness to respond too,but "properly configured Sandboxie" can mean many things to many people.

For years to me it meant a green boarder around my browser window.

Were your usb drives configured to run sandboxed when you scored your "breach"o_O

rat.

ps,i did not add the Little steaming "smiley" or what ever they are called,on purpose.
    It just showed up after an edit. I detest them. Never use them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
  11. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Ah yeah... that's definitely the way to reproduce it w/ forced folders. Sure. Too bad it only happens to you so that it will never get fixed :rolleyes:

12. elapsed

I'd rather you stay and learn, you need it.

Did I really make that impression :D I'm sorry you see it that way. Correcting someone on a forum obviously makes you into an ass in your eyes.

There's nothing to fix, it can't be done safely. Try it. You may think it's sandboxed but your PC is infected. Am I saying it wrong/offensively? Why are you getting so defensive about me criticizing a sandbox not being an immunity barrier to everything?

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Look - this doesn't get us anywhere, a.k.a., give us some beef or just remain silent about the "breach". The crap gets sandboxed, gets admin rights dropped if running under admin account and gets wiped as soon as I wipe the sandbox. I may try it hundred times and the result will always be the same. So, suggestion would be, as already said, go set up SBIE properly, you won't get PEKBAC type of issues then. ;)

14. elapsed

I guess breach just wasn't the right word, it plain never worked for me when I used it. But that was just one of the reasons I abandoned it about a year ago. I'm not sure what other advice I can give you other than try it, if you're not willing to, fine, I'm done here. My original post was to state that sandboxing doesn't make you immune to everything nor does it invalidate a real time AV.

15. adik1337

lol ... you really amuse me dude! I bet I would because nobody in their right mind would agree w/ you that you can "breach" sandboxie's defense w/ autorun ...

and what makes it more funny is that you are still pushing the issue that you are teaching me/us something, who's asking for your advice in the first place? :rolleyes:

16. elapsed

That's not exactly a very nice thing to say, I thought that's what we do on this forum, teach and learn?

edit, Why don't we just go back to the original point because this is going downhill. You cannot invalidate real time AV with only a sandbox. You need more measures to stop using real time AV. Such as LUA/DEP/SRP/Disabled Autorun/Firewall or Closed Ports/Actual safe browsing habits/etc.

17. adik1337

Can you please re-read all your post thrown at me :rolleyes: ....

Read my original post ... read it carefully:
    edit: dude I still can't get over on your claim that you have breached sandboxie .... LMAO

18. ratwing

ratwing Guest

No Elapsed,"correcting" someone on a forum does not make you an ass.
    The tone you do the correcting in,might.

No, Sandboxie is not "Idiot" proof.

If I downloaded a Rogue anti-virus in Sandboxie,recover it to my "real" system,and run it,it will install and I will have a rouge.

Is this a failure of Sandboxie?

Of course not!!

That's why I asked about your Sandboxie configuration regarding usb.

If anything I have said is out of line,(I am sure some is)
    forgive me,please.

rat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.