Installed MS Security Essentials, all I need?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CiX

CiX Registered Member

You mean Microsoft SpyNet?

2. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

If you consider MSE with other in-built security measures then i would recommend you to go with it. You just need to implement proper SRP policy with LUA and here you go....:D

MSE with SRP + LUA & DEP will protect you 99.9% from getting infected. Whether it is rogue or anything else, it won't get install if SRP is properly configured...Else all depends on you.

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I clear the sandbox by habit after every session.

Regarding Drop Rights, do you mean this? Should I place a TICK in that box that says "Drop Rights from Admins..."?

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RestrictionsSettings#drop

4. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Yes. I believe prevents stuff from installing inside the protected sandbox. Like keyloggers etc.

Ice

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Ya. I don't like no kind of cloud computing or similar, I believ them not completely safe.

6. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Any specific reason for disliking cloud computing or Cloud technology?

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

May be worth a look if planning to run MSE and MBAM both realtime together.
    MBAM Article

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Cloud compunting means to depend and to connect with remote servers, remote hardwares and remote softwares, and no one, neither great software houses are invulnerable or always was in the past. So I think, but the risks are also analyzed, see for exemple this report: http://www.enisa.europa.eu/act/rm/files/deliverables/cloud-computing-risk-assessment .

9. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

Will this prevent Firefox from being able to update itself?

10. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

and where in my post did you get that ideao_O?? do you think that sandboxie only works for browserso_O don't act like a smart ass your just making fun of yourself :D

11. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Hi,tawd1992.
    -
    Yes,updates to Browsers or Operating system,(or any forced sandboxed applications) must be done un-sandboxed.

respect,
    rat

12. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

When setting up SBIE for a noob would it be better to have them use IE instead of Firefox since IE can get updates from Windows Updates, but Firefox can't update itself automatically being sandboxed?

I would rather use Firefox with Adblock Plus installed & the malware domain list, but if Firefox can't update itself then it becomes a security vulnerability.

How good is the malware domain list in Adblock Plus? Is it recommended?

13. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I really do not thank so tawd1992. The instances of Firefox updates are rare enough that opening a unsandboxed instance of Firefox,and catching the update is no real problem. (I have yet another layer of virtualization,ShadowDefender,to deal with concerning updates,and still no problem)

Concerning Adblock plus,I use only "Easy list USA" and find adblock performs well for me. You may of course taylor your subscription(s) to your geographical area.

ps# Firefox add-ons must also be updated out of sandbox. I am sure malware domain
    list is a fine subscription as well.

respect,
    rat

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Ahaha, you're funny. It's spelt "you're" by the way.

Let's quote what you said, shall we?

You're clearly implying here that you'd be completely safe running a sandbox. Where as firstly you've clearly forgotten that it was not so long ago sandboxie was breached and probably still is breachable, and secondly you can't "configure" sandboxie to safely isolate autorun. Good luck next time you shove that infected USB drive into your system. Maybe next time you install that infected driver software for your mobile phone/battery charger/etc that you can't sandbox if you want it to work.

Don't be so naive as to think a sandbox makes you immune to everything, as you so clearly are trying to imply.

Try doing some research before trying to mock users more experienced and knowledgeable than you, ok Mr "1337"?

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It is by me, FWIW. That one and EasyList are the only 2 I use.

16. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Well flunk,that may not be the most arrogant comment I have ever heard,
    but it is in the top three.

Who gives a pink rats ass about your experience?

Your were as experienced when you pimped for ESET as you are while you now cheer-lead MSE.
    What changed?

We do not have to all agree!!

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Sandboxie for x64 system is a joke. It only 'recommends' the software not to do malicious attacks. But in reality, it can't stop the malware if the malware is determined to perform a certain action.

18. adik1337

more experienced and knowledgeableo_O? you make me laugh dude ... I told you don't try to be a smart ass ... you are just making fun of yourself :D .... stick with spelling dude ... you are way much better at that, believe you me ;)

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  19. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, in fact I can do exactly that just fine, kindly see Sandbox Settings - Program Start - Forced Folders :p

20. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You can't reply intellectually to me proving you wrong so you resort to comments about me, it's understandable mr "1337". Don't worry, hang around Wilders a few years and you will learn a thing or two.

This discussion is about sandboxing.

Highlight - safely. I've breached sandboxie before with autorun.

21. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yeah, maybe enlighten us how did you do that...

22. adik1337

ok you want some you get some ... first of all why would you even use an infected USB in the first place? and could you tell me which manufacturer would supply you w/ an infected driver to install for your phone/battery/charger etc.? all the possible scenarios here would be for you to download an infected driver and install it on your system w/c for me is just plain stupidity, I don't know about you.

hahahaha ... hang around where i hang around and you might learn a thing or two. BTW you've breached sandboxie w/ autorun? really now! LOL

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Because you didn't know it was infected in the first place:rolleyes:

Get one from a friend who really isn't so much into security as you and whoups there you go.:D

24. adik1337

exactly my point, why use your friend's usb or other's usb if your not sure if it is safe ... anyway sandboxie can be used to sandbox usb drives and no it has not been breached before as the knowledgeable and experienced elapsed is pointing out :D

25. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Sometimes the files just need to be transferred, there is simply no alternative at hand. Moreover, how do you classify a flash drive as being safe? only if the other guy is running you favorite security apps? Don't you think there is a very slim chance of that actually happening? And doesn't that mean that I will not be able to trust any flash drive ever, except only if I have been using it to transfer files between PCs running apps I consider strong enough? Does it not belittle the whole purpose of flash drives?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.