Installation hanging

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Kasun, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kasun

Kasun Registered Member

I just try to upgrade from EAV 4 to ESS 5 first I uninstalled EAV 4 successfully and then try to install ESS 5 and first attempt caused me BSOD at the final step of the installation process(at the time when setup removing backup files),
    then ESET refused to uninstall and I have to use ESET uninstaller,for the second time when I try to install ESS 5 it hanging when installing drivers (you can see screenshot) I can't cancel the installation, it was more than five minutes now,What should I do now ?

Attached Files:

• ese.jpg
      ese.jpg
      File size:
      76.4 KB
      Views:
  2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Try to run eset online scanner for threats.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In certain cases it may take Windows several minutes to register all drivers to the system for some reason. You can run Process monitor to monitor operations performed by msiexec.exe to see if it actually hangs.

4. musoyama

musoyama Registered Member

Almost exact same problem on my Latitude E6500 Win7 64. Only I've been having BSOD issues for the last three weeks - always when the machine returned from sleep mode. No time to sort it until now so the laptop has been running solid for over a month! But since it's a Latitude that's not a problem.

Anyway, following a fresh Win7 install with upgrades and ESET Smart Security 4.0 only installed the BSODs were still featuring. So I uninstalled ESET 4 and problem solved. Next tried to install ESET 5 but the OP's problem occurred.

Tried this several times - including disabling Windows Defender prior to installation, but no luck. Several system recoveries later I tried to install NOD32 5 instead and that works fine - no BSOD when system returns from sleep.

Not really sure what's going on here but I can personally live without the additional features in Smart Security for now. What's most disappointing though, is that I've purchased over 50 licenses for ESET products for me and my clients but now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. No business can recommend software that 'might' cause a total system failure. This isn't satisfactory.

--

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V4.0 is quite old and contains bugs that were fixed later in v4.2. Have you tried installing the latest v4.2 build 4.2.71?

We'd need an install log created per the instructions here as well as a ProcMon log from installation to examine the issue further.

6. musoyama

musoyama Registered Member

Appreciate the offer of help and I'll try to oblige - though my time is precious. I have dozens of different computers I can use instead - although they're ALL running ESET 4.x so I may eventually be SOL.

Apologies to the OP (Kasun) - I think his need is greater than mine so maybe you should tackle his problem first.

--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.