Installation Error

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by clay645, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clay645

clay645 Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a Dell 8200 running Windows XP Home edition and use Norton Anti Virus. I purchased PG a few days ago and while adding a few hundred protection files I received an error message. The message was a Microsoft Info banner that said it had encountered a "Malware" error and asked if I wanted to send a report to Microsoft or not. However, it didn't matter what you answered as soon as I clicked on it my computer froze up. I couldn't even access Task Manager to "end program" or go to the control panel to un-install it. The only recourse I had was to restart and go into "Safe Mode" and then uninstall the program. I attemped to Un-install and then Install the program (about 5 or 6 times) each time getting the same error and having to go through the same process to un-install the program and re-install. I was also getting errors regarding the overwriting of the procguard.sys driver in Windows/System32/drivers folder to which I had to go to the C prompt in dos to delete. This provided me with a clean install, however, I was still getting the "Malware" error each time and then my computer would lock up.
    THE SOLUTION. -- I finally found a pguard.dat file in Windows/System32 and deleted that file -- did another clean install and now it works. So, if anyone is getting this "Malware" error, this is the solution. It has taken me four days of frustration to figure all this out. I hope this saves someone else the hassle I went through. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi clay645, Interesting, thanks for sharing the information with us :)
    When installing Process Guard it is important to give it space, learning mode needs to be left enabled for at least two or three reboots on a busy PC, also run all the apps you can before switching off learning mode.
    Adding files to the protection list slowly and watching the logs to see allows are required is also imperitive.

Although tjis does not apply to you -All new users must ensure that their PC's are clean by doing full scans with all of their security software, ideally, PG should follow a fresh install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.